Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Orange filter for B&W?

I was browsing eBay for stuff and came across this filter.

Obviously, I don't need a filter to turn my digital images orange BUT, does this mean that I should be tinting all of my photos orange before converting to B&W?

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Not exactly - in b&W a yellow filter will increase contrast, strengthen textures, and deepen the color of blue skies while keeping cluds white. A red filter will do this same effect more dramatically - maybe too dramatically for some. An orange filter can be an effective compromise solution.

As far as "digital" B&W - you would be better off using the channel mixer in monochrome mode to fine tune exactly the effect that you want rather than using filters (irreversable if you ever want the color version) or simply desaturating your color image to greyscale.

I wasn't actually going to buy the filter, but I hadn't known about how to manipulate a colour image to make a better B&W. I wondered if the orange was standard in the days of B&W film or if it was a 'special effect or something.

<><

I used to use them when I did B&W on film - because post processing was such a hassel and I wanted to get it "right" the first time - I can't see any use for them in digital.

No, they are no use to me except as a clue as to how to improve my B&W conversion technique... Now that I know that an orange tint will produce a better image, I can can tint the image accordingly before converting to greyscale...

<><

I am not 100% sure that it works that way - I am not that clear on the theory - I'll bet Slejhammer or Jamie could provide some extra insight.

Hm... I've never thought of doing it that way - I suppose putting a tint over your digital image before B&W conversion would achieve the same effect as a filter... or would it?

By the way, Toad is correct - using yellow, orange and red filters in B&W (film) photography will increase the contrast especially with blues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 9, 2016, 13:07