Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Abandoned Depot (new 350D pics)

I picked up my 350D on friday afternoon, the weather was terrible (cold rainy and windy), so I spent Friday evening just familiarising myself with it and not even looking for interesting subjects to photograph.
But then yesterday (sat) the weather was fine again, so I went out with a vengence in the afternoon and then again at night, and ended up taking over 300 shots.

I did my usual thing of trying to find interesting things to photograph as close to home as I could. All photos were taken within a 15 minute drive from my house. There was a little bit of a (non-intentional) abandoned building/grafitti theme it seemed, as I ended up visiting three different abandoned buildings that were all clad in grafitti.

This little series was from an old abandoned depot or store or something on the coast that looks like it was used in WW2 judging by the cement sandbags that were piled up outside and the fact that apparently there are some old WW2 bunkers and pill-boxes not too far away (not sure exactly where though). I'd driven past it before and thought it might be interesting to come back and photograph, but never stuck my head inside until today. As soon as I poked my head through the beaten-down doors I realised what a great find it was!

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the camera (and these images). The amont of flexibility and exposure tweaking that can be done with the RAW's is brilliant, and the dynamic range the camera captures compared to my P&S is amazing. I wish I took some shots of this same scene with my Oly as well and tried to get them to look the same - as I know the tones and particularly the shadows would have gotten really flat, posterised and noisy.

Enough ranting... here are the photos:

[Image: Depot_0001_720.jpg]
Yellow Grafitti

[Image: Depot_0002_720.jpg]
Hardware Error

[Image: Depot_0003_720.jpg]
Microwave Oven

[Image: Depot_0004_720.jpg]
Hiding Place

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Awesome pictures, Adrian. Congrats for the new camera!

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

You got your 350D!! Smile
Nice pictures! I like the third one the most with the darkness creeping around the top corner and sides of the wall Smile

Good find! How do you gain access to these places? Just walk in?
Seems like an interesting place to do a photoshoot, if you ever require such a scene.

Have fun with your new camera Big Grin

Thanks G and Adam!

I like the 3rd and 4th ones the best myself (although the 4th one doesn't quite have enough of it in focus). I moved that old busted-up microwave into the shaft of light, and it just looked fantastic glowing in the dark.

Yeah, I just walked in. It was in the middle of nowhere, was only a single room building and the doors had already been forced open.
I figured that the fact I'm not an 18-year old druggie toting spray cans, but I was carrying a bag full of camera gear and a tripod would pretty much spell out my intentions if any security or a ranger had wandered by. I was clearly there just to observe, not interfere with anything... so I figured the worst they'd do is tell me to go away. Besides, with this particular building there were no "keep out" signs posted.
Ironically there probably should have been, as the roof was all broken and smashed and was clearly made out of asbestos, so it is probably quite a dangerous place to be breathing.

A mate of mine has just got a new road bike (Honda VTR SP-2) and asked me to take some nice photos of it for him. When I was taking these photos I immediately thought this would be a great location to shoot something like that. Definately a good place to keep up your sleeve.

Adrian Broughton

A good place to add to your shooting-on-location list Smile
If you ever feel like posing some 18 year old druggies with spray cans...

I'm scared of going to such places, because it might be the hideout of the 18 year old druggies with spraycans, and carrying all that camera gear....

I was 18 a few months ago, but not a druggie and I don't have a spray can Smile

Some public toilets also would seem interesting for shooting, but they smell strange and going into the toilets with a camera isn't generally good.

Now I'm interested in finding abandoned places!
maybe around the city, and maybe find some free parking... haha

I love the atmosphere of the shots. Those must be absolutely interesting place to investigate.

I was reading a few websites the other week about people who go exploring in abandoned buildings, tunnels and such. They take lots of precautions, safety gear and appropriate dress, and also go in groups to maximise safety... sounded really cool though! Big Grin

Hey guys,

I just discovered the story behind this building (and its neighbours).

http://register.heritage.wa.gov.au/viewp...escription

Quote:Woodman Point Munitions Magazines (fmr) is a group of three single roomed brick buildings, with evenly spaced brick piers supporting extended cantilevered eaves, and each building surrounded by a concrete "pillow" barrier berm. It is unique that buildings constructed at Woodman Point for Commonwealth Dept of Interior at outbreak of WW II are the only munitions magazines ever built within WA to such a design.

Very cool! I didn't even check out the other buildings closely, but might have to next time.

Adrian Broughton

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Nov 12, 2012, 16:30
Last Post by DeltaHotel66
Sep 11, 2009, 14:02