Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

street scenes

Hello,

I guess I am pretty reckless about attaching cheap glass to my lense and finding out what it does to my pictures. That way, every now and then I am really surprised, sometimes amazed, at how we can look at ordinary things around us.

And I guess I don't mind building on my reputation as a weirdo, or lover of weird pictures for that matter, for the price of showing them off here Big Grin

Please feel free to let me know what you think! Hope some of you can enjoy them a little bit.
Personally, I feel reminded of video stills in certain ways.

Chairs:
[Image: 26_chairs%20on%20balcony.jpg]

flower yard:
[Image: fence%20and%20flowers.jpg]

little angels:
[Image: little%20angels.jpg]

statue with flowers:
[Image: statue%20with%20flowers.jpg]

swan:
[Image: 44_swan.jpg]

red flower:
[Image: red%20flower.jpg]

street sceen:
[Image: 73_scenery.jpg]

construction fence:
[Image: construction%20fence.jpg]

shutter:
[Image: shutter.jpg]

store:
[Image: store.jpg]

Thanks for looking!

Uli

Uli, I want to lend some feedback but I hesitate because there are so many images. So, if I may I'll comment as a whole. I don't think all the images benefit from the soft focus. (street scene, construction fence and store.) With chairs I think the soft focus is overdone and makes it hard to see the blue chair behind the iron fence. I'll leave it at that and apologize for not being a little more positive. There are positive traits with all but it's a lengthy critique.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Uli - perhaps not such a strong softening effect would have produced a more pleasing effect. I think the shutter scene works the best.

Canon stuff.

Hi Uli, i tend to agree with the other comments .........play with the opacity to make it a little more subtle.

I really like the red flower, construction fence, shutter and the store. I think for me it works best with these. The white in some of the other shots is a bit much for the effect. But hey it what you like in the end that counts....Wink

thanks guys! !
I was surprised how much this little thing blows out whites, which is what created the haze over all of these. So yes I have to learn to control it to usefully add something to my pictures.
I also think I was pretty wide open most of the time, so just stepping down the aperture should help control the haze.

uli

I like this difussion effect on the first 3. I think the difference is that on those shots, the level of detail is about right. On some of the others, you are closer to the subject (my eye feels it should have more detail - examples: red flower, shutter) or further from the subject (not enough detail - examples store, street scene). Difusion is a tricky technique to play with. I like to see you being experimental in your work. Trying things and posting them is how we discover experiments that become important techniques and styles.

The pics have a real dreamlike quality, if that's what you were trying to achieve... Big Grin

I think the effect is very unique, but I wouldn't want to overdo it too much... Big Grin

I like "store". I'm not too sure about the rest. It might be more telling to see only one or a few images, so that the effect remains unique and unusual.

Most of the time, a specific look won't "work". (Speaking from personal experience...) There are two solutions to that: do it anyway, and develop a 'body of work', or try to pick the best situations and photograph them appropriately. Ultimately, though, it comes down to doing something exciting and new. Good for you.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

You have a soft focus lens. What are you using? I like the pastel effect.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks again guys!!

Obviously this dreamlike (Jules, that's exactly what I thought...) effect isn't suitable for all situations. When I showed the pictures to my fiancé, he even suggested taking a few shots at my best friend's planned wedding with this lense attachment, because he liked the effect in certain ways.

i am really just playing around, sure this thing won't stay on my lense all the time ...Big Grin

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Oct 9, 2017, 10:51
Last Post by webber
Aug 4, 2016, 13:14