Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newfoundland Photos ( Dialup warning - 5 photos)

I have recently returned from a trip to Newfoundland - what a facinating place - and so many photo ops - here are a few I took.

[Image: Brigus.jpg]

[Image: Cape%20Spear%20in%20the%20Fog.jpg]

[Image: Flowers%20at%20Dawn.jpg]

[Image: Cape%20Spear%20buildings.jpg]

[Image: Trinity%20Lighthouse.jpg]

[Image: Water%20Street.jpg]

Nice, Toad!! I love them all. The last two in particular stand out... Smile

It certainly is a beautiful place and you've done a fantastic job capturing it, I love them all too!

Did you learn any Newfanese while you were up there? Big Grin

Wonderful, Toad.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Very nicely taken photos, some could get you confused with a pro, lol, I particularly like the 2nd last one of the lighthouse on the hill =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

I think the second and third shots are what do it for me. Fantastic!

-matt-

"It's not what you look at, it's what you see..."
http://www.matthewsaville.com

Nice captures!

wow! I love them too!

Thanks everybody - it was a very inspirational trip - I probably have 50-75 photos of this quality. (and I hope that stock houses will confuse me with a pro, Dewey! Big Grin )

It is a very strange place - probably the most remote continuously inhabited place in North America - closer in distance to Iceland than New York City, Ireland than Toronto, and Italy than Vancouver. St. John's (the capital) is about 450 miles east of New York City. The lighthouse shown in picture 2 is the most easterly point in North America.

It is also the home to the oldest known European settlements in North America - the Viking settlements that date from around 1000 AD.

Historically, it has been very poor, but has developed a distinct culture (and dialect). The architecture is characterized by brightly painted buildings without foundations that are picked up and moved as needed - land costs next to nothing, but buildings are expensive by their standards. The town names reflect their past: Seldom Come By, Bay Bulls, Come by Chance, Dildo, Cow Head, Witless Bay...

The people are perhaps the friendliest on earth - don't ask directions if you don't want to talk for twenty minutes. I did learn a little Newfoundlandese, Jamie - if you ask somebody "How are you?" - they might say: "I be fine, bye - how's yerself?" Their dialect is almost unintelligible when they talk between themselves - they slow it down and clean it up a bit for us poor tourists.

I am amazed how seldom this place has been documented photographically - and I am planning to put together a project to do a bit of that in the near future.

P.S. All photos done on Velvia 50 slide film on a Nikon F100

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Apr 7, 2019, 03:58