Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 gig card

I am looking at a 1 gig card right now. For those of you that have them, how many RAW pics can I expect (using a nikon D70)?

Jerry

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Okay, it's GD's time to shine here Smile

I have 2 x 512 MB Ultra II's.... On each I can fit 47 RAW's (straight after format, shooting mode set to RAW).

2 x 47 = 182... right?... no.. wait.. 4747 right?...

I can get this... 94!!!! *thankyou MS Calculator* Smile

I know you know what you're doing Jerry, but I would suggest that you don't rely on the 1Gig card as your sole memory card. Things happen, occasionally to good people and the metaphoric eggs in one basket I suppose.

that's what made me buy 2 x 512 anyways... just a handy tip by GD..

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

Or better yet, get 2 x 1G cards! Smile

ST has a point. Sounds like this week's free giveaway offer is a 1 Gig card Smile

Only 47 RAW images on a 512mb card? Talk about ripped off Nikon users Wink

I get between 70-80 depending on the ISO level.

Well that's because your images are smaller and of poorer quality. Smile

Sorry, but you made it personal when you compared sizes hehe.

It might be 57... I remember checking with a guy who had a 10D and he got 34 to a 256mb and I remarked how he was able to fit more on per meg. I think the sensor is smaller or something... I'm so insecure about my size.

Just don't go into a hardware store and ask the female clerk if they have any "six inch population tools" Smile

The size difference might be because of the jpg embedded with the RAW image, what size/quality is the one for the D70? I've adjusted mine so its the smallest size and compressed heavily. I couldn't say how many it was beforehand but it may have been 68 which would make sense with the guy you checked with.

fair call. I haven't checked that...

My Minolta A2 (8 MB) takes 84 shots on RAW on my 1GB card. Each RAW shot on my A2 is approximately 11.5 MB. They don't vary much unlike jpgs whoich are all over the map.

Find out what an average RAW file is on your camera and do the math. RAW files are pretty consisitent.

I agree Toad. With those numbers 47 made sense on a 512 card.

Hey Toad,

What do you think of the AS feature on your A2? Is it useful?

I've found my RAW files are quite varied, none of them drop below the 5.5mb mark but they go upto about 7mb so there is a bit of variation there.

I was going to get a 1gig card, ended up getting a portable storage device instead.
40 gig Big Grin~ haha, but about 3-4 minutes wait while it loads Tongue
maybe I should get another card to shoot with while it loads.

AS totally useful. I get shots that I never could have before. That is the feature that made me buy an A2 and I haven't been disapointed.

I bought the A2 in Tucson after missing a twilight sot that I should have been able to get. Got the same shot the next night with the A2.

Thanks guys... Actually I already have 2 - 512 80x lexar cards, but was getting a 1 gig card to supplement my memory hunger. haha.

It was explained to me on fredmiranda that:

1. It depends on the size of the sensor, the ISO of the shot and the scene complexity of the shot

2. I shoot 1GB, it is 150-160. The D70's counter is very low

3. The D70's counter gives the worst possible case scenario. That way, you're never stuck with the false preconception that you have more space than you actually do. Pretty good move by Nikon, IMO. For reference, I just stuck a Lexax 80x 1 Gb in my D70 and after formatting it, it reads 95 images. As stated above, I have heard alot of people getting around 150ish

4. 126 on my 10D with large jpegs embedded.

Seems like most folks are getting anywhere from 120-150 depending on the complexity of the shot as described.

Question:

How can I remove the "embedded" jpeg with the raw format option? Is this possible????

I am not shooting, Raw+Jpeg, simply RAW... but as I understand it there is an embedded jpeg in there. Can I change this option????

Jerry

Depends on the camera. On my A2, you can set the camera to RAW with or without jpg, but I understand that this is not an option on every camera. My A2 does have a mini thumbnail that it stores with the RAW file regardless - but this is not a full jpeg.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post