Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

$1000 video stabilizer for 8 bucks

I improvised this stabilizer for video use with my dslr. I now just carry a very light monopod plus this gizmo in the car boot. A tripod was far too much trouble on the fly, especially if video is the smaller part of a shoot and a moving video only part of that. Use for video walking around slowly, up stairs, around rough ground.

I use with a wide lens so direction of camera aim not critical. The monopod can be shortened for when climbing, eg stairs. The arms can be turned to direction of walk so you don't bump them.
The principle...
Weight at the end of an arm wants to stay stationary (high school physics)
In practice....
Hold the top of the monopod one hand (under camera)
Monopod hangs vertically because of weights at base. The weights on arms at base stop rotational twist. Your arm and elbow acts as a shock absorber when walking.
The stick is much more stable when not attached to your body (most stabilizers are)
You can still turn the camera, tilt up/down. It turns slowly.
To make you need...
(2) pieces 32mm pvc waste pipe. (1)pvc junction (push fit no glue) .(1)double sided velcro strap. (2)lead weights (used divers belt weights). (2) rubber bands or 'o' rings from auto parts shop.

To make... Push pvc parts together. put 2 screws in weights and slot pipe to suite.
Glue velcro to pipe with contact. Cut off arms until monopod hangs vertically.
I find extremely light monopod best for this. (mine is sirui p 326 and head is oben vh-r2)
Manufactured on my kit sink as i'm travelling around. Already had weights.
It's cheap and it does work. JIM T

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post