Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

issues with black spots on the glass within the camera body

Hi All, Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I am having some issues with my Nikon D80 DSLR and was wondering if anyone knew a remedy to fix this.

I recently went to Sedona AZ and when I was reviewing my photos' saw a few black spots on ALL the images. I am meticulous about my equipment and use only Camera cleaner and Camera cleaning papers to clean my lens and body and always spray with Canned Air. That is how I was taught 30 years ago and it always works.

I cleaned all my gear before I left, and I just cleaned all my lens and the black spots are still there as I look through the viewfinder. With further research it wasn't from the lens, it appears to be tiny scratchs on the glass piece that is under the viewfinder which reflects to the mirror. Have NO idea how that could happen as I am very careful! Any ideas as to if there is anything I can do to remedy this or am I looking at sending my camera in for service?

I have uploaded a photo and it looks like I have a great deal of post processing to do as I took over 3000 pics and these spots are on all of them! :-(

Grateful for any ideas!!!!! :-)

Di

Attached Files Image(s)

Have you given any consideration to possibility that these "black spots" could be on the camera's sensor? From my limited experience, they look like small pieces of debris that are contaminating the sensor. The fact that they are on every image, again, suggest to me that it is "dust/dirt" on the sensor. If they are in the same place on every image, then this again, suggests to me that it is something on the sensor. You might try cleaning the sensor. The first thing I would try would be to take a hand-held blower like the Giotto Rocket blower and trying blowing on the sensor to see if that eliminates the problem. Do not use "canned air" for this, as it can contain small amounts of moisture that can make the "spots" on the sensor even worse than they are. Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

I don't know where you're from, but over here we have Nikon stores that employ really competent people. I went in with my D3100 once after it had some spots on it and the people there were really nice and helpful - the whole thing cost under 10 Euros if I remember correctly. Worth giving a shot Smile

No mention of cleaning the sensor in the camera programme/instructions. Ed.

To each his own!

Western Guy

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! You were correct that appears to be exactly what it was. I didn't know there was a sensor under the mirror and my manual negates the sensor all together! I am so happy I posted you saved my a great deal of money and down time!!!! Sure wish I had known this before I left for my trip! :-)

Di

(Mar 9, 2014, 02:55)kNox Wrote:  I don't know where you're from, but over here we have Nikon stores that employ really competent people. I went in with my D3100 once after it had some spots on it and the people there were really nice and helpful - the whole thing cost under 10 Euros if I remember correctly. Worth giving a shot Smile

Hi Knox, thank you so much for your help, it was the sensor! I have cleaned it and the problem appears to be gone. I will keep in mind that the Nikon pro's might be the way to go in the future should I have any further issues. By the way I am from Conneticut in the good old USA. :-) Thanks Again Di

(Mar 9, 2014, 03:04)EdMak Wrote:  No mention of cleaning the sensor in the camera programme/instructions. Ed.

That's because the manufacturers don't think it's a DIY job.
Although there are several 'kits' out there, and a number of people DO do-it-themselves.
Several kits are reviewed here:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photogr...ed-1079985

And there's a 'gel' on a stick:
http://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

Now, what the OP can do, is take a pic against a pure white surface, and use that as the example of the sensor 'dust' along with PP software to 'remove' them from the images.
Search on 'dust removal' and your software name to find out how to do it.

BTW, 1/60th of a second was probably too slow a shutter speed for that shot.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Mar 9, 2014, 03:04)EdMak Wrote:  No mention of cleaning the sensor in the camera programme/instructions. Ed.

Hi EdMak, there was absolutely no mention of the sensor in the manual. I had to goggle it after seeing all of your replies to find it. The problem seems to be gone after cleaning it. Very disappointed in Nikon's cleaning instruction and Getting to know your camera body section as there is not one reference of it. Oh well problem solved and I am very happy!!! Thanks Again! Di

Diane, this thread gives me the screaming heebies! How did you clean the sensor on your D80? Did you use a bulb blower, canned air or did you rub it with lens cleaning tissue? If you know how to clean a sensor, well and good, but if you don't, you risk doing permanent damage to your camera. The surface of the high-pass filter in front of the actual sensor is extremely delicate. Here is a good guide, should you wish to become proficient at sensor cleaning: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/0...-cleaning/

If you don't, I would advise you to have your camera cleaned professionally at a reputable service center or photographic dealer.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Photo 

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/0...-cleaning/

If you don't, I would advise you to have your camera cleaned professionally at a reputable service center or photographic dealer.
[/quote]

Here is a page from the D80 Manual about cleaning. Page 125.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Mar 9, 2014, 18:26)Wall-E Wrote:  [quote='EdMak' pid='93929' dateline='1394355849']

Wall-E, Sony, for one, does not agree with you. On mine, there is a Programme to do so, and cleanings inst in the Inst book. Same goes for a friends 3 Canons. Probably others? Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 10, 2014, 12:21)EdMak Wrote:  
(Mar 9, 2014, 18:26)Wall-E Wrote:  [quote='EdMak' pid='93929' dateline='1394355849']

Wall-E, Sony, for one, does not agree with you. On mine, there is a Programme to do so, and cleanings inst in the Inst book. Same goes for a friends 3 Canons. Probably others? Ed.

Newer cameras have new features.

Your 'cleaning' program is actually an ultrasonic vibration applied to the anti-aliasing filter to dislodge most dust. It doesn't remove it from the camera body, and the dust particles can re-attach themselves to the sensor.

The D80 is an older Nikon, and doesn't have such a feature.
Neither do my D100's, D200's or D2Xs.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Mar 10, 2014, 07:13)GrahamS Wrote:  Diane, this thread gives me the screaming heebies! How did you clean the sensor on your D80? Did you use a bulb blower, canned air or did you rub it with lens cleaning tissue? If you know how to clean a sensor, well and good, but if you don't, you risk doing permanent damage to your camera. The surface of the high-pass filter in front of the actual sensor is extremely delicate. Here is a good guide, should you wish to become proficient at sensor cleaning: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/0...-cleaning/

HI GrahamS, thank you for your help! I used a bulb to clean it, I took a few shots today looks like it worked. Thanks for the link!!!! Di

(Mar 10, 2014, 08:18)Handy Wrote:  http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/0...-cleaning/

Hi Handy, Thank you so much, this page is NOT in my manual, my page 125 is "White Balance bracketing? What is up with that?? LOL! Thank you so much for the page, I will save this for future use! Di

(Mar 10, 2014, 12:21)EdMak Wrote:  

Well Handy has it in his manual for the D80 but Its not in mine which is odd! LOL! -) Thanks for the support!

You did not say what you were using for a lens but l had the same problem and it was a 70 to 300 Nikon zoom l ended up taking the top part of the lens apart and cleaned the first lens it turned out that was the issue no more black spots maybe try that .

(Mar 10, 2014, 22:25)zoomer Wrote:  You did not say what you were using for a lens but l had the same problem and it was a 70 to 300 Nikon zoom l ended up taking the top part of the lens apart and cleaned the first lens it turned out that was the issue no more black spots maybe try that .

HaHa Zoomer, that is the lens I was using exactly!!!! If it continues I will take the lens to a pro and have it cleaned, but I am praying I have solved the issue! Thanks!!! Di

Diane, if you got a CD with the camera, see if there is an Inst. Book on it, if so, it may have more pages, found this when I bought a Olympus compact. Look on Nikon's site, and see if there is a download, look for the largest file size, if there is an choice. Ed.

To each his own!

Lets get a couple of things straight:

The Nikon D80 does not have an ultrasonic sensor self-cleaning feature. This is the reason the instruction book advises cleaning with a blower bulb, failing which the camera should be cleaned by a service centre.

Dust or debris on or in a lens will not be visible as spots on the image. A loss of image contrast will be the result.

If you want to determine how much (note I don't say "if there is") dust is on your sensor, set the camera to "A" or "Av" (aperture priority) set the aperture to the a small f-stop (f16 or f22) set the focus mode to "MF" or "Manual Focus" set the focus to a close distance, take a photograph of the clear blue sky where no clouds or birds are visible.

Download the image into your image editing software, display it full screen and open the image adjustment tools. Increase the contrast to maximum and adjust the brightness (exposure) until the dust spots become visible. Voila'!

And don't say I didn't warn you.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

(Mar 11, 2014, 02:25)EdMak Wrote:  Diane, if you got a CD with the camera, see if there is an Inst. Book on it, if so, it may have more pages, found this when I bought a Olympus compact. Look on Nikon's site, and see if there is a download, look for the largest file size, if there is an choice. Ed.

Thanks EdMak I will check that out!!! :-)

(Mar 11, 2014, 03:47)GrahamS Wrote:  Lets get a couple of things straight:

The Nikon D80 does not have an ultrasonic sensor self-cleaning feature. This is the reason the instruction book advises cleaning with a blower bulb, failing which the camera should be cleaned by a service centre.

Dust or debris on or in a lens will not be visible as spots on the image. A loss of image contrast will be the result.

If you want to determine how much (note I don't say "if there is") dust is on your sensor, set the camera to "A" or "Av" (aperture priority) set the aperture to the a small f-stop (f16 or f22) set the focus mode to "MF" or "Manual Focus" set the focus to a close distance, take a photograph of the clear blue sky where no clouds or birds are visible.

Download the image into your image editing software, display it full screen and open the image adjustment tools. Increase the contrast to maximum and adjust the brightness (exposure) until the dust spots become visible. Voila'!

And don't say I didn't warn you.

:-) Thank you!

(Mar 10, 2014, 08:18)Handy Wrote:  
Quote:http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/0...-cleaning/

Handy;

It would be real helpful if you posted a link to where you found the manual, so we're all looking at the same version.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post