Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1d mark II or 1ds mark II

I need help....right now i have a canon 20d and i am looking to move up to a mark II...

i cant decide between the canon 1d or the canon 1ds.......

does anyone out there have the 1d after having or using the 20d? what is the preformance difference?

has anyone used the 1ds after using the 1d? is the difference worth the 4gs?

some of the main reasons that i am looking to move up is that i dont like the conversion i get with my 20d, also i am dissapointed in the quality of the shots...they are good...but not as good as i would like...i have read that even though the 1d is the same megapixals it produces much better images because, among other reasons, the sensor is a lot bigger.

I have no idea, but just want to be the first potential buyer if you are planning on selling your 20d!! Wink

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

i am. who needs a backup right Smile

in fact i am selling a lot of stuff to raise some cash..i know this isnt the forum for it but i have a few 21 inch monitors..a 12inch powerbook..a 1tb lacie external HD and a 20d that are currently for sale...shoot me an email if youre interested in more info on any of them..

spiff2 Wrote:some of the main reasons that i am looking to move up is that i dont like the conversion i get with my 20d, also i am dissapointed in the quality of the shots...they are good...but not as good as i would like...i have read that even though the 1d is the same megapixals it produces much better images because, among other reasons, the sensor is a lot bigger.

What lenses are you using?

What do you mean you "don't like the conversion" - what is your conversion process?

How are you defining "the quality of the shots"? Softness? Noise? Color rendition? Something else?

How are you reviewing the quality issues - with prints? On screen?

Have you sent your gear to Canon to be calibrated?

Do you have a properly calibrated monitor?

There may be several different reasons for your dissatisfaction that can be resolved without dropping more money on a new camera body.

wwwwweeeeellll those are a lot of good questions...

i dont like the 1.6x lens conversion on the 20d.

defining the quality of the shots is a little bit harder to explain..so i will skip it.

i am useing the screen only ..i have yet to print.

my monitor is calibrated.

and i am using a Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF 17-40mm f/4L USM.

If you're disatisfied with your wide-angle results, and if landscapes/architecture etc...is most important to you, I would get the 1DsMKII.

Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 F4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.

Ah, so you want wide angle. You know the 1D is still a 1.3x conversion factor, right? So you won't get truly wide with your 17-40 unless you go with full-frame. But I'd suggest waiting until the end of the month, for the much rumored 5D to be unveiled, if in fact it's for real. Wink

yeah im gonna wait...

and the 1.3 dose bother me..but i could get over it for all the other features of the 1d...or i could just shut up and get the 1ds....

You could wait for the 5D, and with the money you save vs. the 1Ds you could buy a 5D for me. Big Grin Big Grin Cool

I'm still curious about your 20D quality issues, other than the crop/conversion factor. Is it softness? Graininess? Something else?

My 10D and 70-200mm "L" lens were not especially sharp (minor focus error), but I sent them to Canon while they were still under warranty and they calibrated everything to spec at no charge. Made a huge difference.

really? how did you know that it wasnt to spec?

Under controlled circumstances (camera on tripod, well-lit scene, subject at the lens' minimum focus distance) I could consistently recreate a modest back-focus error. Also I could consistently achieve better focus manually than with AF. So there was a problem, either with the camera or lens, and Canon's advice was to send them both in for calibration.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jannasc
Sep 23, 2014, 14:54