Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

25c

$0.25 ...

I made a deal with myself quite a while ago that I wouldn't buy any more photography gear until I made something - anything (even 1p) - from my photography. It's not about the money, but the principle.

Anyway, when I was on leave I put a handful of images on a couple of stock sites and blow me down with a feather one of them has sold.

Now I can go and look at a umbrella to go with my flash gun :-) When's pay day??

Derek

Super, which one. Ed.

To each his own!

Well done Derek.
Mike

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Well done Derek I sold a (I really hate to say this) photo taken on my iPhone it was a blurry image of the stage at a Australian Pink Floyd Concert but it was just the background a customer of mine wanted to use on an advertising poster for a summer dance school in London the fee paid was £30 . Just out of interest which Agency did you use.
Regards Doug
Incidentally I just had a photo on the Local weather which I'll post up from my main computer.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

This is the Photo of the storm over Cambridge which ended up on the local weather on the BBC
Pentax K311, f8, 1/4sec, ISO 1600, 18mm focal length, I then swapped to video but the quality of the image leaves a lot to be desired
in future I'll just leave it on timelapse and shoot 30sec exposures in raw.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Here's a pat on the back, Derek.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Here's a link to the site and the photo:

http://www.canstockphoto.com/venus-flytr...65367.html

As one loads and sells more so the % payment gets better. But I remain chuffed that I've made something at all from a photo.

Cheers
Derek

Thanks Derek there's another one that comes up on Facebook called Alamy.com, some sites want you to upload 200 photo's at a time some much less, it may never make you rich but if it brings in enough to pay for better gear why not there's no harm trying.
All the best Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Hi Doug

Yes, I will expand into a few other sites over time - but it's quite an onerous task. The photos have to be very tidy - little pp, no dust spots, generally sharp throughout. Then you need model releases or building releases if there is anyone or anything recognisable. Then you have to keyword the pictures. Then upload. Then categorise...

Before any of that you have to get a selection of photos approved both technically and commercially.

I've gone through all the above on three sites (I was on leave from work, so had some time. Now I'm back at work the idea has stalled) and have loaded a handful of photos on each. I will expand into other sites one day - maybe when I'm retired!! The thing is, I don't have many pictures that are suitable. I think I'll have to set aside some time now and again just to search out and work up suitable pictures.

On the plus side, it really makes one focus on the quality of the picture.

Cheers
Derek

There is an article in the August 27th issue of Amateur Photographer (p16) about a Keith Morris, who lives in Aberwstwyth, Wales and who purports to have made $336,000 from selling stock images on Alamy, "mostly taken within walking distance of his home!" "These are all pictures I find when I go walking around Aberystwyth."

My belief system is very strained.........

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

I'm with you Graham.

Frankly stock photography is not profitable. Some will argue that point, but, I ask the question whether they know what they are talking about? Once you factor in fixed and variable costs plus depreciation (or capital allowances as HMRC refers to them) the sums paid by 'stock agencies', is so derisory as to be frankly insulting. There might be a small margin to be made at gross, but take it to net and a loss is a racing certainty. This being the case, it begs the question: why on earth are you doing it? One is more likely to 'clap out your camera' before you've broken even. Return On Capital Employed is even worse than interest rates currently (20/8/2016) paid by building societies in the UK.

In saying that, I wish the very best of luck to Derek as his photography is first class, as is his musicianship.

Best regards.

Phil.

(Aug 27, 2016, 17:01)Dougson Wrote:  This is the Photo of the storm over Cambridge which ended up on the local weather on the BBC
Pentax K311, f8, 1/4sec, ISO 1600, 18mm focal length, I then swapped to video but the quality of the image leaves a lot to be desired
in future I'll just leave it on timelapse and shoot 30sec exposures in raw.
Applaud your patience for this 10 out of 10 ...attached small file version of a panorama "Storm approaching Le Mans"

Thanks Tamora, that's an interesting looking storm you have there, I had to put a plastic bag over the the Camera & Lens as it poured down with rain after this photo was taken.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

I played with stock photo's probably 10 years ago... made around $9.50,,, which worked out around 20c an hour for the work involved LOL.

I know what you mean about buying new gear, a few years ago I said all new purchases would be self-funded by photography, never worked out that way, and then ironically I start a web design and SEO company and now I'm doing so much photography and videography for website clients LOL.

Hi Craig
At least your earning from something you enjoy doing, l will put my photo's into stock, nothing ventured nothing gained
I've only sold one for £30 because I showed it to the right person, by putting them out there you have at least a chance of a sale.
Just got my Visa ready for August next year coming to the U.S for the eclipse and a holiday.
Regards Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Quick update - my 25c has now rocketed to $4.18! Only another $96 to go before I can access this money. But in all seriousness, I've only got 21 photos on the site, so I can understand how someone with, say, ten thousand, can get a nice little return. It remains a job for any future retirement, but it's interesting that photos from lil' ol' Del do get found and downloaded.

Del mate onwards and upwards it's better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick, just keep adding to your stock.I've forgotten who your Library is with.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug