Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

300D hack

For those with a D-Rebel how many of you have applied a hack? Which hack? There are a few available to download now so which is the best one?

I've had my D-Rebel about a year now so I'm pretty much ready to take the plunge.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I put the "Russian hack" on mine within about a week, specifically to enable the higher ISO and one or two other things. Been pretty happy with it, haven't had any problems at all... wasn't aware there were more floating around now. Care to elaborate?

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

I know of two hacks and I'm told on another forum there are more. One is the Undutchables hack and the other is Wasia's hack. Those are the two that I know of that are trusted.

My flickr images

I've had the wasia hack ready tio install for 6 months... just haven't installed it.

I know a few people that have used the Wasia hack and it works fine. The main improvement I think is the mirror lock up, great for macro shots.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I used some Russian hack, they have done a recent update for it to shoot in Sports/Action mode so you get AI Servo but also adjust the ISO and have a RAW file rather than jpg, haven't tried that version but a friend has been using it for a few weeks now without hassle.

My original hack was done over a year ago without a hitch.

Is it a pretty risk free thing to do? Have you heard of anyone busting their camera through loading a hack?

Nver heard of any problems with the Wasia hack... like I said, I put it on almost immediately, and have never regretted it.

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

I suppose you need to get used to scrambled button lables though, don't you?

My flickr images

I think the only buttons that do anything outside of the custom function menus are the cursor and select buttons.

The Jump button is reassigned when in shooting mode as well... to what, I don't recall off the top of my head.

-Marcus Cole

Soundy Wrote:The Jump button is reassigned when in shooting mode as well... to what, I don't recall off the top of my head.

You lost me Soundy. Jump button? Shooting mode?

My flickr images

Jump Button is used when you're shooting Motocross and they go over a jump.

Seriously, I never use it but its for jumping through your preview photos ten (I think) at a time to save time.

It's the third button to the left of the screen (Menu - Info - Jump - Play - Delete, IIRC). Used to jump 10 pics at a time in playback mode. When in standard "shooting" mode (ie. while taking pictures), it's given a second fuction under the hack. It may be somewhat user-selectable, I just don't recall at the moment, and my camera is elsewhere in the house.

Here's a short list of features that I found:
# Enter Flash Exposure Compensation using SET button
# SET button function when shooting
# Shutter release w/o CF card
# Flash sync speed in Av mode
# RAW+JPEG rec. Sets the quality of embedded JPEG
# Mirror Lock up
# Selects the autofocus mode: AIfocusAF, ONEShot
# ISO 3200

More details are here: http://satinfo.narod.ru/en/usage.html

-Marcus Cole

Okay, went and got my camera. Here's a rundown of the custom functions, as they appear on the camera's screen (all "notes" added by me):

01. SET button func. when shooting
0. Default (no function)
1. Change quality
2. Change parameters
(note: JPEG options as defined in Parameters menu)
3. Menu display
4. Image replay

02. Shutter release w/o CF card
0. Possible without CF card
1. Not possible

03. Flash sync speed in Av mode
0. Auto
1. 1/200 sec. (fixed)

04. Shutter button/AE lock button
0. AF/AE lock
1. AE lock/AF
2. AF/AF lock (no AE lock)
3. AE/AF (no AE lock)

05. AF-assist beam/Flash firing
0. Emits/Fires
1. Does not emit/Fires
2. Only ext. flash emits/Fires
3. Emits/Does not fire

06. Exposure level increments
0. 1/2 stop
1. 1/3 stop

07. AF point registration
0-7. select one or all AF points

08. RAW+JPEG rec.
0. RAW+Small/Normal
1. RAW+Small/Fine
2. RAW+Medium/Normal
3. RAW+Medium/Fine
4. RAW+Large/Normal
5. RAW+Large/Fine

09. Bracket. sequence/Auto cancel
0. 0.-.+/Enable
1. 0,-,+/Disable
2. -,0,+/Enable
3. -,0,+/Disable

10. Superimposed display
0. On
1. Off
(note: not really sure what this does, if anything on 300D)

11. Menu button display position
0. Previous (top if powered off)
1. Previous
2. Top

12. Mirror lockup
0. Disable
1. Enable
(note: mirror locks, then shutter fires after delay set in func. 17; works only in single-shot and timer mode -disabled in continuous-shooting mode)

13. Assist button function
0. Normal
1. Select home position
2. Select HP (while pressing)
3. Av+/- (AF point by QCD)
4. FE lock
(note: Assist button is specific to 10D hardware)

14. Auto reduction of fill flash
0. Enable
1. Disable
(note: reduces flash intensity to fill when bright surroundings are detected)

15. Shutter curtain sync
0. 1st-curtain sync
1. 2nd-curtain sync
(note: not functional on 300D)

16. Safety shift in Av or Tv
0. Disable
1. Enable

17. Mirror lockup pause time
0. 1.5 Sec.
1. 3 Sec
2. 4.5 Sec
3. 6 Sec
4. 7.5 Sec
5. 10 Sec

Other functions:

Left-cursor: AF select (AF-AI/AF-Servo/AF-OneShot)
JUMP button: FEC select

Hope that helps...

-Marcus Cole

Thanks Soundy. Holy smokes. You didn't have to go through all that trouble. Smile

My flickr images

Hey Soundy does the AI Servo work ok on that version of the hack?

Safety shift, mirror lock up pause time, FEC select aren't a part of the version I have and the AI Servo doesn't function either, have to give that one a go!

I can't tell you for sure if AI Servo works because I'm not entirely sure how it's supposed to behave. It seems to just continually try to focus an never actually lock in, so it almost never fires. This may be normal and I'm missing something... Canon specs say "Continuously tracks subject movement and achieves focus before the exposure starts.", which it seems to be doing, but I can't tell what finally forces it to stop focusing and just take the damn picture.

BTW, found another link: http://www.shortcourses.com/10D/other.htm
has some much more detailed descriptions of the custom functions on a 10D (the Superimpose function, btw, turns the blinking red focus dots in the viewfinder on or off). Most apply to the hacked 300D as well, though a few are different (C.Fn. 17 is 10D specific whereas it holds the mirror-lockup delay on the 300D).

-Marcus Cole

I installed it the updated hack, the AI Servo seems to work, I'll try it out for a few shots tomorrow at the young blokes footy game to make sure. FEC is handy as my other half (who uses the camera) has been relegated to a 420 flash which doesn't have any compensation and I always put it up 2/3's. Flash is MUCH more consistent on the newer cameras specifically the 350d

I did it. I installed the Wasia hack. I just browsed through things and haven't really had a chance to try it yet. Everything seems normal exept for a few added features.

My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jbman
Mar 31, 2006, 09:17