Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

350D questions

I had a play with a 350D for the first time today! It didn't seem that much different to a 300D actually, although I suppose the smaller size, different button layout and instant switch on were the biggest noticable differences. The form factor was very much reminiscent of my EOS 300 (film)...

Got a question though - in P mode - I was under the impression that you could turn the dial and switch the aperture/shutter speed to different combinations for the same exposure value. I couldn't seem to do it on the 350D that I was playing with though. In P mode, all I could see was one number coming up on a half press (I can't remember whether it was the aperture or shutter speed), and turning the dial had no effect.

I didn't have time to go through the menus and stuff like that - could it be a setting you have to enable?

Phil Askey's review clearly says that the 350D is capable of the "exposure shift" thingy:

Quote:Program Auto Exposure (Flexible)

Very similar to AUTO exposure but you have access to all the normal manual controls, can set the ISO, exposure compensation, use AE lock, bracketing etc. The Program AE on the EOS 350D is flexible, that means that you can select one of a variety of equal exposures by turning the main dial. Example:

• 1/30 F2.8 (metered)
• 1/20 F3.2 (turn left one click)
• 1/15 F4.0 (turn left two clicks) etc.

I had forgotten my 10D can do this.

But then, I have my camera set to not lock exposure until the image is captured.

Why would you not just use Tv or Av mode, and dial in the parameter you want (a particular f/stop or shutter speed), rather than having to shift to your target parameter with every shot?

Hey ST,

I'm not sure what happened there. My 350D allows me to turn the dial in "P" mode and do the "program shift" (just like my EOS 300 film did). I *think* the program shift thingy might even work in full auto mode(!)

Sounds weird.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Hm... maybe the camera I was playing with was set to some funny setting.. Big Grin

slej - I admit - I'm lazy. Big Grin

Most times I shoot on P and leave the camera to choose the parameters. Occassionally I'll take control and use the program shift. When I use aperture or shutter priority, I tend to forget I'm in that mode, and if I move to different conditions, the setting might cause it to over or underexpose.

Bad habit, I know.. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Sep 28, 2011, 04:34