Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 years worth of images - GONE.

slejhamer Wrote:Can the storage part of the drive be separated from the mechanical components? If so, that would probably work, if I could then put the storage thingy into a different chassis.

Well I'm going to take it to the Geek Squad tomorrow morning and see what they think. They can do basic data recovery for a lot less $ than most places.

By the way, it sounds like mechanical failure to me - maybe the drive head crashed? in which case I wouldn't think that moving it to a different chassis would help.

Anyway, best to leave it to the pros - All the best, Mitch!

Any news from the geeks in ties? fingers crossed.

shuttertalk Wrote:By the way, it sounds like mechanical failure to me - maybe the drive head crashed? in which case I wouldn't think that moving it to a different chassis would help.

That is exactly the situation.

The Geeks could not access the data and recommended a professional data recovery service. Minimum US$800. Not going to happen.

I returned the drive and got my money back, and included a rather tersely worded note to LaCie.

As I noted here, I do make prints regularly, so at least I can view most of them the old fashioned way.

Thanks all for your support! Smile

That sucks. But good you can look on the bright side and you still have your prints. Smile

.................. returned the drive and got my money back.............

Slej man, that's just terrible! Maybe use HD AND DVD back-ups now?

Cave canem

EnglishBob Wrote:But good you can look on the bright side and you still have your prints. Smile

Amen!

Rufus Wrote:Maybe use HD AND DVD back-ups now?

Yes. I think dual HD and either CD or DVD for me. Redundancy does not hurt.

Sorry to hear the bad news again, Mitch...

Hey some reading for you:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/200...index.html

Quote:Experience shows that users can be divided into two groups. The first group of users is well informed or has already experienced the pain of losing data. In cases such as these, the user is careful to back up information such as emails, photos, work files or similar data on a DVD or other media, at least on an irregular basis.

Looks like you can claim to be part of the first group now! :|

I will be the poster boy for that group. :|

Smile

I'm terrible at backing my files up, the only thing I do back up is my pictures... all my other work isn't backed up.

So do you not have ANY backups other than prints of any of your stuff? That is truly a tragedy.

I wish I could say I backup more often, but I at least do it every 4 months or so...

Hmmm...you say you "moved" your photos to the La Cie drive. I don't suppose there is any chance that they still exist on your old drive (wherever it is...)?

Another thought, Mitch. In your original email you say that the drive is not compatible with XP SP2. Any possibility that it will work with a PC that has not been upgraded yet to SP2?

I am going to be nuking my old PC down to the stone age directly, and could easily install non SP2 XP prior to the upgrade if it is worth a try...

Toad Wrote:Hmmm...you say you "moved" your photos to the La Cie drive. I don't suppose there is any chance that they still exist on your old drive (wherever it is...)?

Excellent point Mr. T... if you haven't defragged or clean sweeped your drive since "moving" the pics, chances are, they'll still be there!

Some freeware undelete tools here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system...overy.html

Toad Wrote:Hmmm...you say you "moved" your photos to the La Cie drive. I don't suppose there is any chance that they still exist on your old drive (wherever it is...)?

It is possible that I can recover some images from the former drive, though it was reformatted and repartitioned after I moved the image files off of it. I am going to d/l some software that supposedly does this and demo it.

Toad Wrote:Any possibility that it will work with a PC that has not been upgraded yet to SP2?

Already tried that, on both SP1 and Win2000 computers. Thanks for the thought, but I have given up hope for this one. LaCie tech numbskull confirmed that it was a problem with the drive itself (hardware) which may or may not have been caused by the SP2 problem.

And since I do have prints, it's not worth the $800+ it would cost for a pro salvage job. I'd much rather buy a new lens or another guitar with that kind of jack.

I have mourned, now I am ready to move on!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post