Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Ivory Billed Woodpecker

Have any of you been keeping a eye on the I B woodpecker news? This bird intreges me , it is " extinct " for ever , and then it pops up out of nowhere. Here is the cool thing , its only about 1. 5 hours from me where it was spotted . And there all kinds of people looking for it . Now i know that we need to watch it so that it can breed , but that would mean that there is more than 1 , Right ? ......

Here is another thought , the more people that look for it , the further away it is going to fly. They know that it is in the area that they are looking because they are recording the sounds of it " squacking " .

Here is another thought. It would take me 1 1/2 hours to drive there but , it would probly only take him/her ( or them ) to fly here in about 1/2 hour. What are the chances that they would come over me with a camera in my hand? and how much would that shot be worth?

I think i need to get out in some swamps and wait for them to show up ....TongueWink

here is a link to the bird that might helo incase you dont know what i am talking about LOL

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=4239249

anyone want to start looking with me?

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Squack

Squack

Squack

Actually, the sound of a terrier thumping a cat. Big Grin

Cave canem

Any news on this? Maybe you should hook up with the other volunteers / coordinator to better your chances... Big Grin

If I were your neighbour I would be the first one to make you company... I would love to go to the swamps and search for a bird...

Actually I got a picture of one but it is not the same as you are looking for... Sorry....

It is a very small crop but I like it anyway... It is the first try, they come very often to the trees infront of my kitchen, maybe in summer I can have better luck Smile

[Image: _DSC7883-01woodpecker.jpg]

The one you are looking for is more beautiful...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I was being serious about the offer. I really think that there is a good chance to find these birds . And the areas that they live in are all over the area here . The one problem is no one here is willing to go with me . And the swamps in a canoe by yourself isnt a good mixture. All i need is another photographer ( one with more experience then me would be nice Tongue ) , and someone that isnt afraid of some work .

Any news on this? Maybe you should hook up with the other volunteers / coordinator to better your chances...

i try to keep up with the news on the bird and there is a lot out there , but i really dont have enough time to volunteer to help , the drive is pretty far . and i am staying pretty busy with work . If there is a chance that they are in this area , i will be the first to be out looking for them . Not just for the photo opp. but it is very fascinating to me that this wood pecker has been gone for so long and all of a sudden it shows up . Animals are the most incredible things to me ..

.........Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Pretty sweet bird Irma, Ours are not so nice.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Banded Drake Wrote:All i need is another photographer ( one with more experience then me would be nice Tongue ) , and someone that isnt afraid of some work .
I'd come... but it's a bit hard being on the other side of the world and all... Big Grin

im sure there are a lot of yall that would , but it looks like i am on my own here Big Grin.
Maybe ill just luck up on one , one day .

The way i read it there are a whole bunch of people that are looking for them and they are finding more and more signs of them in a curtain area .....

..... Thanks Shawn

Banded Drake Wrote:I was being serious about the offer. I really think that there is a good chance to find these birds . And the areas that they live in are all over the area here . The one problem is no one here is willing to go with me . And the swamps in a canoe by yourself isnt a good mixture. All i need is another photographer ( one with more experience then me would be nice Tongue ) , and someone that isnt afraid of some work .

.........Shawn
I'm subscribed to 'Birdnet forums' and there are threads about the Ivory Billed in there. It's a bit of a longshot but maybe you might find someone who would go out in the swamps with you. It's actually a photography board as well as a huge resource about birds and wildlife - worldwide membership so you might get lucky. You'll need to register to post or to see the entire board but it's free and instant - they'll email an a/c activation link almost immediately. The galleries are huge and full of superb shots of all species.

Have a look at these links ( possibly you already have the first one)

http://www.fws.gov/ivorybill/

Birding Worlwide section ... then go to
'News, Views and Reporting Points' forum
http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Rare Bird Information and sightings
http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=468

Good luck.

Pol

thanks for the links Polly, i might have to give it a go with them . It will be a little bit before i can ( i have a lot on my plate ) . But i will head there and see what is being said ........... Shawn

Aww... looks like they didn't manage to find one...

Quote:The search for the elusive ivory-billed woodpecker in the swamps of Arkansas has ended for the season with no confirmed sighting, wildlife experts said on Thursday, but they plan to start looking again in late autumn.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1977779

I havent read the link yet , but there was talk just a little while ago that they are going to stop looking . They think that they might be wrong and the they arent really here .

the whole thing is very strange , the way i look at it , if they are here then great , if not it was fun thinking that they were ..

Thanks for the link........... Shawn