Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Subject in colour but background in black and white?

Folks, forgive my inability to describe properly what i mean, but exactly how do you keep the suject of the shot in colour, but the background is under saturated or black and white? I've tried to magnetic lasso the subject, but when i cut it and paste it back in, i'm left with a line of white around the subject...........

Can anyone give me some tips or point me in the right direction as to what exactly i am doing wrong?

Sorry for the warbled description, but if you go to this site http://www.micahweber.com/portfolio/ , that pic is done the way i am trying to describe............

Steve

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

I think what you are describing is selective colouring. The easiest way is to select the sponge tool and put it in desaturate mode and just paint over everything you want to be B&W (or put it to a lower opacity if you want in under saturated). Of course, I'm sure there are other ways and the drawback of this is that you have less control of how your BW looks.
HTH

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Hi

there a i think a few ways to do that in photoshop:

but at the end is how well you select what you whant to b/w.

ok.

if you the these tools to paint a selection on what you want ot convert in b/w. then copy the selection to a new layer. then turn into b/w

i will post more info later

christian

Schellamo Wrote:I think what you are describing is selective colouring. The easiest way is to select the sponge tool and put it in desaturate mode and just paint over everything you want to be B&W (or put it to a lower opacity if you want in under saturated). Of course, I'm sure there are other ways and the drawback of this is that you have less control of how your BW looks.
HTH
Schell, thanks so much, that is definatly a start anyways........ Big Grin

Christian, looking forward to further info from you....

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

sg,
There really are several different methods that will give you the same result. It can come down to how hard it is to make a selection of the object in question.

My prefered method for this sort of thing, especially cars is as following:

Copy background layer.
Desaturate copy layer. (Image/Adjustments/Desaturate)
Add a mask to copy layer.
Use hard black brush to paint onto mask to bring back colour in wanted object.

See example.. (didn't take long at all)
[Image: desaturate-methof.jpg]

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Smarti - you are my savior once again!!!!!! BTW did you see my finished product of the photoshop?????? It was your tips that helped create it!!! Tongue

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

hi

im back sorry for the delay, we have two new cats and was supper time for eveyone..

first remember if you have a layer you can do anything with it.
so if you copy and paste that selection into a new layer will be great as then you can change colours or add or deleted part of it.
so remember control c is for copy and control v is for paste, and control shift n is for new layer it will save a lot of time those short cuts.

so the first thing you need to do is make a selection
go to the quick mask tool at the botton of the pattele and then choose a brush tool that is soft ( the harder the more acurate the selection)

[Image: scree_1.jpg]

so if you change back from the quick mask you will get a selection. now crontrol shift n. make sure you have selected the layer that you have the all photo and crontrol c and then select the empty layer and crontrol v.

you will have this

[Image: screen_2.jpg]

now select your layer that you want to change to b/w and use something to change colours or colorise control u

[Image: screen_3.jpg]

now if you want you can add a mask so that you get a more detail from the layer underneath. use the rubber tool.

[Image: screen_4.jpg]

sg - I did see your final image. Nice job. Be careful though - its more addictive than heroin.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

byrt_001 Wrote:hi

im back sorry for the delay, we have two new cats and was supper time for eveyone..

first remember if you have a layer you can do anything with it.
so if you copy and paste that selection into a new layer will be great as then you can change colours or add or deleted part of it.
so remember control c is for copy and control v is for paste, and control shift n is for new layer it will save a lot of time those short cuts.

so the first thing you need to do is make a selection
go to the quick mask tool at the botton of the pattele and then choose a brush tool that is soft ( the harder the more acurate the selection)

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...cree_1.jpg

so if you change back from the quick mask you will get a selection. now crontrol shift n. make sure you have selected the layer that you have the all photo and crontrol c and then select the empty layer and crontrol v.

you will have this

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...reen_2.jpg

now select your layer that you want to change to b/w and use something to change colours or colorise control u

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...reen_3.jpg

now if you want you can add a mask so that you get a more detail from the layer underneath. use the rubber tool.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...reen_4.jpg
Christian...... i couldn't understand any of that sorry, i could not get the subject selected removed from the layer........... i will try again.

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

smarti77 Wrote:sg,
There really are several different methods that will give you the same result. It can come down to how hard it is to make a selection of the object in question.

My prefered method for this sort of thing, especially cars is as following:

Copy background layer.
Desaturate copy layer. (Image/Adjustments/Desaturate)
Add a mask to copy layer.
Use hard black brush to paint onto mask to bring back colour in wanted object.

See example.. (didn't take long at all)
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...methof.jpg
Smarti, i tried the method you mentioned, but i cannot get the add mask to work.............. frustrating.

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

sg, how far did you get. Copying the layer and then desaturating the copy should be easy.

Then...
Select the desaturated layer and the click on the third button from the right at the bottom of the layers window.
(see picture) Arrow pointing to mask button...
[Image: 92_desaturate-methof.jpg]

Now if you draw on the mask (with any black brush) it will reveal the bottom (colour) layer where ever you paint.
Let me know if you still have trouble.

If you mess up on the mask just paint over with white again....

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

hi

try this...step by step

hope tis helps

christian

[Image: sg_tutorial_1.jpg]

[Image: starfish_1.jpg][Image: starfish_2.jpg]

The way I do it is again with layers,

I duplicate my original layer. Turn to monochromwe the top layer. Now I selectively delete anything I want to appear color in the monochrome layer.

You can also turn the whole image to B&W and then use the History Brush to paint the original color back in where required. Not as elegant as a mask - but its a quick and dirty method to do the same thing.

Layers have the advantage of surviving a Close/Open cycle if you do not flatten before the Save. The History Brush will not maintain history context between sessions.

Smarti, Christian, EnglishBob and Toad, thanks for the input, i shall try again once i get home from work this arfternoon......... work keeps on getting in the way!!!!! Tongue

The sticking point at the moment is that i don't seem to have the quick mask mode button in my palette, that is what is confusing me i think. The program is Photoshop Elements 4, i wonder whether it has been renamed something else or has been hidden in a menu somewhere?

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

aaaaahhhh

hehehehe, you have the small sister to photoshop cs.
im not sure if the program can do this.

sorry

christian

Do whatever it takes to upgrade... You will not regret it.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

EnglishBob Wrote:The way I do it is again with layers,

I duplicate my original layer. Turn to monochromwe the top layer. Now I selectively delete anything I want to appear color in the monochrome layer.
Thats basically how I've been doing it.
[Image: 3534618.Dakota.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Peto, thats actually a pretty funky looking PS.....

Smarti, got the full blown version just now, am installing as we speak!!!!!!!

Success!!!!!!!!!!!! -

[Image: DSCF0577%20copy.jpg]

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

Nice job sg, Looks great.

Great to hear you upgraded, no stopping you now. I am happy to help out anytime you want some advice with the basics. Although...
Dont forget I already warned you that it will become more addictive than hard drugs. Dont complain to me when your a junkie with nothing else in your life.....Tongue

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

smarti77 Wrote:Nice job sg, Looks great.

Great to hear you upgraded, no stopping you now. I am happy to help out anytime you want some advice with the basics. Although...
Dont forget I already warned you that it will become more addictive than hard drugs. Dont complain to me when your a junkie with nothing else in your life.....Tongue
It's too late :| Tongue i'm getting ready for work, but i have the shakes so bad............. must...... shop .......... something .......... Cool

Smarti and Christian, thanks so much for the pointers and tips!

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

sg Wrote:
smarti77 Wrote:Nice job sg, Looks great.

It's too late :| Tongue i'm getting ready for work, but i have the shakes so bad............. must...... shop .......... something .......... Cool

Smarti and Christian, thanks so much for the pointers and tips!
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Last shot=very well done!

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

hey niiiceeee

is that a nice big hair on the top right corner?? hehehehehe sorry me the fassyone...

very well done the process

christian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jogesh12345
Jul 31, 2019, 02:35