Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lens cleaning fluid

Hello everyone

I was wondering what cleaning fluid is best to use on my lenses. I have a blower and a soft cloth, but sometimes this does not get everything off. I take a lot of landscape and seascape photos so they do need a regular clean, although I am careful and have UV filters over my lenses. Any recommendations please?

With regards
Jane

I use walgreens eyeglass cleaner, have done for years. More important is what cloth you use. Make sure it a soft clean, lint free cloth. I have probably a dozen lens cloths and throw them in the washer every few uses.

A lens cloth and glasses cleaner works for me too, never had any problem with smudges or things like that.

Thanks guys. I needed your input as I have been done before regarding what is suitable for cleaning lenses and had mine messed up. Had to take it to be professionally cleaned as it left it smeary and I couldn't get rid of it.

Regards
Jane

A micro fibre lens cleaning cloth. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi Jane,

when on hols in USA a few years ago I came across a solution called ROR (residual oil remover). Pricey but works a dream, and it shifts residue from finger prints almost instantly, and does not smear. I always use microfibre cloth, and have 2 colours, one for putting on, another for polishing off. All are washed before use, and as already mentioned, washed frequently. I spray the cloth not the lens to apply as it saves spraying the other parts of the lens. In my camera bag I keep all in a small zippy plastic bag - seems to me there is no point having cleaning stuff picking up contamination accidentally.

If you want minimum space, use once option, have a look at sealed sachet wipes by manufacturers such as Zeiss etc.

ROR is now available in UK.

(Apr 25, 2015, 11:20)dave1712 Wrote:  Hi Jane,

when on hols in USA a few years ago I came across a solution called ROR (residual oil remover). Pricey but works a dream, and it shifts residue from finger prints almost instantly, and does not smear. I always use microfibre cloth, and have 2 colours, one for putting on, another for polishing off. All are washed before use, and as already mentioned, washed frequently. I spray the cloth not the lens to apply as it saves spraying the other parts of the lens. In my camera bag I keep all in a small zippy plastic bag - seems to me there is no point having cleaning stuff picking up contamination accidentally.

If you want minimum space, use once option, have a look at sealed sachet wipes by manufacturers such as Zeiss etc.

Hi Dave
Thank you for your information. I already use microfibre clothes, and just needed a good spray to remove stubborn spots. Recommendation is everything.

Regards Jane

(Apr 26, 2015, 02:56)snaphappy Wrote:  
(Apr 25, 2015, 11:20)dave1712 Wrote:  Hi Jane,

Hi Dave
Thank you for your information. I already use microfibre clothes, and just needed a good spray to remove stubborn spots. Recommendation is everything.

Regards Jane

I second using ROR. For minor cleaning I use anybodies photographic lens cleaning solution. I also use standard lens cleaning tissue.
I have used microfiber cloths on occasion. So long as the lens isn't covered with
grit (from blowing dust and dirt) their fine. If the lens has collected to much dirt
the lens tissue allows you to always have a clean wipe for your lens.
As for cleaning my microfiber cloths I saved a large plastic container from Chinese takeout soup. Washed it very well and place the cloth I need cleaned, one at a time, I use hot water and some liquid dish washing soap and shake vigorously.
Hold the cover on!
When the rag is cleaned I remove it, run it under the water faucet to remove most of the soap. Then I fill the container with cold water, put the rag back in and shake it vigorously again. Dump the water and do it again until the water is as clear as it was when first poured a fresh cleaned container.
I hang them on something spotlessly clean to drip dry.
Happy Cleaning.

Perhaps the secret is in the soup??!! Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!
Tongue 

(Apr 29, 2015, 08:43)EdMak Wrote:  Perhaps the secret is in the soup??!! Cheers. Ed.

I never thought of that. A second use for Wonton soup. http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...iggrin.gif

Shy
(Apr 29, 2015, 08:53)Mr. Sony Wrote:  [quote='EdMak' pid='101276' dateline='1430318581']
Perhaps the secret is in the soup??!! Cheers. Ed.

I never thought of that. A second use for Wonton soup. :-)

Like the wipes suggestion for dusty environment. I carry a sable brush (released from my wife's painting box and with cut down handle) and the blower.

truly impressive cleaning process| I just chuck 'em in a net bag (my wife calls it a 'smalls' bag whatever that means) and straight into washing machine

(Apr 29, 2015, 14:56)dave1712 Wrote:  truly impressive cleaning process| I just chuck 'em in a net bag (my wife calls it a 'smalls' bag whatever that means) and straight into washing machine

Seems a bit drastic and, presumably, a method suitable only for weather-sealed lenses.
Wink
Cheers.
Philip

Any particular washing powder/liquid? Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 30, 2015, 03:14)MrB Wrote:  
(Apr 29, 2015, 14:56)dave1712 Wrote:  truly impressive cleaning process| I just chuck 'em in a net bag (my wife calls it a 'smalls' bag whatever that means) and straight into washing machine

Seems a bit drastic and, presumably, a method suitable only for weather-sealed lenses.
Wink
Cheers.
Philip

Gee MrB That sounds like the best lens cleaning procedure yet! LOL

(Apr 30, 2015, 03:14)MrB Wrote:  

Wink
Cheers.
Philip

I'll treat this comment with the total indifference is so richly deserves Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post