Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 Reasons to Have a 50mm Lens in Your Bag

Since the 50 is such a popular choice of lens, it's only fair to have a good look at the reasons behind that. Here are top seven.

http://www.photographytalk.com/photograp...n-your-bag

The 50mm lens actually applies to cameras with the full-frame sensor, i.e. the sensor is the same size as a frame of 35mm film (36mm x 24mm), which is what the D700 has that the chap from DigitalRev was using in the video.

The main reason, as he says in that video, is that it gives the scene in the photo the same appearance (in terms of relative proportions) that we see with the human eye. The 50mm was therefore the "Standard Lens" that came with film SLRs.

The standard lens for a typical APS-C sensor camera (equivalent to a 50mm lens on full-frame) would be one with a focal length of about 33mm. In practice, that usually means getting a 35mm lens, although in my experience even a 28mm works well as a single walkabout standard lens (equivalent to 42mm on full-frame).

Old film camera lenses work very well for this purpose (assuming that they are compatible with your camera), and they can often be found relatively cheaply.

Cheers.
Philip

It's been years since I read it, and maybe it was not even correct.

But was the 50 mm lens the typical initial offering for the 35mm format because its focal length was very nearly the way we see things with our own eyes. So when we look at an image from a 50 mm lens, it looked like the way we see things.

When looking at images we can certainly tell if they are deep into the fish eye or out into the telephoto. And the 50 mm was "normal" to our eyes.

If this is true, the article should have mentioned it, but perhaps I missed it.

The point you make is true, WD, and it's not mentioned in the seven point article, but it is in the video that follows point 7. I referred to it in the post above yours!

Cheers.
Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55