Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 Tips on How to Buy the Perfect Camera Strap

Follow these 7 tips when you’re in search of the perfect camera strap and you just might find it.

http://www.photographytalk.com/photograp...mera-strap

Not sure that they adverts are anything but adverts for one makers rather over engineered strap... I carried a general purpose .50cal machine gun in days of yore that didn't have that amount of strappery! Big Grin

Seriously though... I do wonder some days when I see folks out with their Rebels and smaller Nikons etc hanging from a strap, either at the camera makers mounts or from one of these straps that fit the tripod screw fitting in the camera base, over their shoulders with the whole lot swinging about... and have seen many times when the lens barrel contacts a person or a more solid wall, car etc... Why would you not want to keep the lens safe? Then there is the issues of such cameras... any really, with even a 20-200 f2.8 fitted... that weight is being supported at an acute angle by the camera body and its attachment ring....
Then, there is a whole body harness... spend a while to get in it and have your camera hanging in front of your chest... great but the lens is still hanging unsupported...

So, is it a decent strap you need? Or, you want to be comfortable? There are straps such as the one I have used for years... the OptechUSA... a neoprene and rayon wide strap... takes the pressure off the shoulder for smaller lenses and keeps you in contact with the camera... same strap if I have the 400 f2.8 but now I cradle the body with the lens facing up in the crook of my left arm... still got physical attachment to the camera... but supporting the lens and critically, it's mounting ring with all of it's connections to the body. No pressure on the neck... carried in arms... I, like EnglishBob, and doubtless many others, carry 2 cameras... one with the wide angle - I carry that with the strap over the opposite shoulder and pull it round so it is on my back... and the longer heavier lens cradled and ready...

I do understand that for some weight is an issue... however you carry it... it weighs the same! You even increase the body load with some exotic harnesses ... like the Cotton Carrier Camera Vest w/ Side Holster for 1 or 2 Cameras - it claims, as they all do, to reduce neck strain... might well ... at the expense of shoulder strain... these are like a loaded rucksack carried backwards! And this model is a $199 cost! That's an expensive strap... not to mention what you look like...

If you are going to carry a heavy camera or cameras around for a day... plan for it and it's not the cameras or the lenses you chose fault for being heavy... so you need to look after them not fob that responsibility off to a third party manufacturer and complain later the harness made you sore and your camera got in the way of a parked car...

That all said, I will quote EdMak... "to each, his own"... end of the day, what you suspend your camera and lens with is your call.

So, food for thought? Anyone any other ideas? Maybe there is a panacea out there?Big Grin

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

I was using Kata Neoprene straps on my main camera until about 2 weeks ago, I then splurged in a moment of madness and bought a Black Rapid Dual Harness. That will hang 2 cameras, one on each side and takes the weight from the back of the neck and spreads it onto the shoulders.

I have found it to be very comfortable to wear and the cameras easy to use once on it. It does use a mount that screws into the tripod mount.

Haven't tried it with the 50-500 yet, but with my macro lens I attached the mount to the tripod collar on the lens, rather than the camera body. Still don't trust it totally so when I am walking and not shooting, I still steady the camera with my hands.

The nice thing with the BlackRapid dual is that it can be separated to give you two single slings if only carrying one camera. I used a single sling with my 7D MK11 and a fairly heavy 24-70 F2.8 , and the flashgun mounted on the camera and it carried it very nicely, something the Kata Neoprene straps don't do very well, as it makes the rig top heavy.

Madness indeed! Big Grin But you know, if it works for you then all is good... I tend to baby my kit so it gets cradled... that way no neck or shoulder ache, it's always ready to go and I know where it is all the time relative to the local tea leaf and hard objects ...Big Grin

Thanks for your opinion... it will surely help others who may be strapped for choice... LoL

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Having trained on a VN Press Camera, with clip on flashgun, 24 plate holders , 6/10 flashbulbs, notebook and pencil, perhaps a sandwich, all in a sturdy case, no handle, use as a seat at sport events, leather shoulder strap, HEAVY. Anything used now is light.

I have a OP/Tech USA strap, over 30 years old, still looks as new. Ed.

To each his own!

QED.

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post