Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

70-200mm lenses

Hi guys long time no post. Most of my exams are over so my spare time has upped a little Big Grin. Anyways update... got a 550EX speedlight for my birthday!! Was a real big suprise about that.

Anyways to the thread topic, I've been thinking of getting a lens at the 70-200mm range. I've read numerous reviews and forums about the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM and ones on the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L non-IS and IS. I've also read quite a few comparison threads and "vs" threads comparing the canon and sigma. In terms of Quality I have no doubts in the Canon lenses.

My question is in terms of price wise is the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L non-IS worth the extra $300-400 compared to the Sigma? Is IS really worth its price tag for an enthusiast photographer? (only thing i can think of where IS would come in handy is weddings)

Lak Wrote:Hi guys long time no post. Most of my exams are over so my spare time has upped a little Big Grin. Anyways update... got a 550EX speedlight for my birthday!! Was a real big suprise about that.

Congrats! And Happy B-Day!

Lak Wrote:My question is in terms of price wise is the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L non-IS worth the extra $300-400 compared to the Sigma?

Personally, I don't think so.

Lak Wrote:Is IS really worth its price tag for an enthusiast photographer? (only thing i can think of where IS would come in handy is weddings)

Using an old rule of thumb, IS is useful any time your shutter speed is less than your focal length adjusted by your digital SLR's "crop factor." So on a 200mm lens, your shutter speed should be 1/320s if you are hand-holding a 1.6x camera. Any time you're faced with a low-light shooting situation, IS can mean the difference between a sharp shot and a blurry one.

Here is a user's comparison of the Sigma vs the Canon IS:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/show...hp?t=22421

Happy birthday Lak! Great to hear that your exams are over (I hear adam is a free bird too)...

Uh oh, slej, you're not still having login problems are you? :/

wow! nice write up!Thanks for the link up slej. Thanks slej and ST for the birthday wishes. Smile I may be leaning towards the canon non-IS though, only reason is that some reviews on the sigma said there was AF issues, where it doesn't seem to be very on focus of the targetted subject on some canon bodies, so that scared me a lil. Can anyone shed some light on this prob? Is it a real problem that happens frequently? Sorry for all the questions, just that they both seem to be both very nice lenses. :p

From what I've read, most of the AF problems with non-Canon lenses seem to happen in Servo mode. For whatever reason, Canon lenses seem to communicate better with Canon cameras ... however, most people seem to think that particular Sigma lens does a respectable job, it's just that the Canon w/ IS is outstanding when it comes to tracking.

Now here's a question for you: if you are leaning toward the Canon non-IS, is one stop sufficient to justify the price difference between that lens and the Canon 70-200 f/4? Wink

ST: I'm having some cookie-related problems at work, so I'm not even trying anymore. Then again, maybe it wasn't me ... Identity theft seems to be rampant. Big Grin

hehe yeah the stop does matter alot to me. I do alot of indoor shooting where light and distance from the subject is not favourable. In a perfect world, I would get the IS version. Just that i can't seem to justify the price tag on it, when i only do this as a hobby and on a volunteer basis (and also tripod = wiked IS yeah?? Big Grin) . Maybe IS version when i'm no longer a poor uni student! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post