Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7MP camera, which one

I've been looking at the Nikon Coolpix 7900. I compared it to the Canon Ixus 700 (Poweshot SD500) and right away I noticed the big difference in "quickness" between the two. The LCD-based viewfinder on the Canon had much slower refresh rate than the one on the Nikon. From what I've heard, the Ixus (Powershot) have slightly better image quality than the Coolpix, but also have worse red-eye reduction.

I've not yet found a local store stocking the Casio Exlim EX-Z750, which seems to be very interesting. From what I've read the image quality is comparable to the Coolpix 7900, in some cases better. The flash seem to be a little weak and apparently it's easily out ranged by other cameras in this class. But instead, it's very good at handling movie recording, and it also got MPEG4-support. I've also read that the Exlim has very high refresh rate when the LCD is used as viewfinder. Anyone who knows exactly how fast?

So, to the trick question, which camera gives most bang for the buck?

I really like the Sony V3. Takes CF AND Memory Stick Pro cards and can fill your card up with video, plus it has infrared.

Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 F4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.

Thanks for your reply!
The V3 looks like a great camera. But it's really not a camera you go around carrying in your pocket. I was more interested in a sub-compact camera still offering good enough quality.

monstrum Wrote:Thanks for your reply!
The V3 looks like a great camera. But it's really not a camera you go around carrying in your pocket. I was more interested in a sub-compact camera still offering good enough quality.

It's not that big. You could carry it easily in a small belt pouch.

Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 F4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.

Well, that depends on how you see it. Also, it's a little over my budget, especially considering I already got a 1 Gb 150x SD-card.

I haven't looked at pocket-sized p&s cameras in a long time, but I'm curious why you are focused (pun intended) on only the 7mp cameras? There are some really good buys in the 5mp range.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Also, I know more pixels does not always equals better quality. All of the above cameras also has a little brother (sister?) in the 5 MP range. Normally, you don't need pictures in 7 MP, but it feels like you limit yourself if you settle for a 5 MP camera.

But if someone's got a very good 5 MP camera to recommend, please do so.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post