Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8.9 Earthquake in Japan!

8.9!!!! This is another strongest one in the world, as so many people say, something happening to our planet. My prayers for all those people in there. And I hope our photographer friends are fine, I can't remember now is there anyone lives in this warning area, for tsunami. This was so fearful and the strongest one! I watched on some news videos.

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Earthquakes are not getting stronger, the measuring system has been in place for a very short time but there is archeological evidence showing much stronger quakes in history.

The devastation in Japan does look pretty severe though, my thoughts are with those affected.

The second one in a very short time. Sad indeed, and how fortunate some of us are.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I want to join the others in wishing to express my concern and care for any of you who have friends or relatives in the path of this disaster.

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

I can't actually express the horror of this. As someone that lives on the Pacific rim, this is what I can expect at some point - maybe tomorrow - maybe in 10 years. I'm not religious - but if I believed in some god, I would ask that god to have mercy on these people. This is so bad, that we can't conceive of it.

I've been glued with rapt and horrified fascination since first reports started in the UK early Friday morning our time. I was immediately struck by the sheer incredulity of the BBC, as their reporters/commenters on national news did the "polite disbelief" response on an expert who was warning of the tsunami "reaching places afar as Chile and Alaska". Our initial figures for the lost or deceased were "3 so far, though we're expecting several more".
I think that our national subconsciousness did its own sums comparing wave amplitude and death toll with that of Achay, perhaps initially thinking "1 or 2 metres in an earthquake-aware westernised location" amounted to minimal damage.
Thus, as reportage increased and cohered, the inexorable death toll and devastation has had so much more emotional impact than if the viewing public here was suddenly presented with a figure of, say, 10,000....the slow and terrible gathering of data and reality, coupled with that unspoken terror of nuclear meltdown, has kept the impact of the news as clearly felt. And in a world and media where hyperbole and daily death have made general sensibilities numb, this disaster has been emotionally engaged with considerably here.
Maddeningly perhaps, there is the British media sop for some kind of "fairness" at the same time as introducing all manner of bias into reportage in general: consequently,media news is revealed as rather a grotesque caricature as it pathetically tries to ennoble our government's childish squabbles, or reminds us how crippling petrol prices are, or whether we should be "very cross indeed" with Gaddafi the Mentalist. These affairs are shoved into Top Billing for news stories even this weekend, along with what ever hapless embodiment of mediocrity is winning Come Dancing With Stars inTheir Eyes, or whatever.
This insults our intelligence at the best of times and becomes a surreal revelation of moral and spiritual desolation in the light of the enormity of what is happening in Japan. Yes , I realise important home events are still important home events, but catastrophes of this magnitude can still engender compassion and personal thankfulness even out of this well of tragedy.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I wonder how many people it really hits. We see first hand, bombing and warfare around the globe, catastrophe's, erupting volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunami's. All in HD TV or on wind up radio's depending where you live. Between reports, some folk cannot miss football, regular dose's of soap operas and as Zig says 'Come dancing on ice'. Yet they carry on as if nothing had happened.
Should we switch them all off for a day, and concentrate on the poor people who through no fault of their own, suddenly find themselves in a nightmare.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I simply can't begin to fathom the damage. It seems like every hour the news gets worse, not better.

The amount of change and tragedy over just the past few months is staggering.

I discovered today that the Canadian Red Cross accepts Paypal.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

The quake claimed at least one life in mainland USA, 3 friends went to watch the tsunami waves come ashore in California.... they watched a little too close and all 3 were swept off the rocks by a wave, 2 made it back ashore, the third is missing. Did they not see the hundreds of warnings in the time that elapsed? Sheer stupidity.

EnglishBob Wrote:The quake claimed at least one life in mainland USA, 3 friends went to watch the tsunami waves come ashore in California.... they watched a little too close and all 3 were swept off the rocks by a wave, 2 made it back ashore, the third is missing. Did they not see the hundreds of warnings in the time that elapsed? Sheer stupidity.
This is so sad, dear Craig! It is really madness to be there.

And now, world knows that the quake caused Japan's main island to shift 2.5 meters (8 feet) and moved the earth's axis 10 cm (2.5 inches), as geologists explained. Some experts are now conducting more research and discovery if what else are the different effects on the world of the most destructive earthquake in 2011. After the Friday, the view of the devastation by the earthquake and tsunami showing the tragedy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-...eafter.htm
Before and After satellite photos

I am living in Istanbul and the North Anatolian Fault Zone is in the broader Istanbul/Marmara region, and as geologists explain every time, it is expected another strong earthquake in this area. And yes, I live at the sea side... and at only 5 km distance to the main branch of the North Anatolian Fault Zone! I can't imagine what would be if this expected one happens!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/n/n..._fault.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/dec...ldisasters

Ansel Adams

nia Wrote:I am living in Istanbul and the North Anatolian Fault Zone is in the broader Istanbul/Marmara region, and as geologists explain every time, it is expected another strong earthquake in this area. And yes, I live at the sea side... and at only 5 km distance to the main branch of the North Anatolian Fault Zone! I can't imagine what would be if this expected one happens!
Yes - and I live right on the Ring of Fire - about 17 meters above sea level less than 1 km from the ocean. In Vancouver, the major fault has not released in a LONG time. This whole thing fills me with dread.

Toad Wrote:
nia Wrote:I am living in Istanbul and the North Anatolian Fault Zone is in the broader Istanbul/Marmara region, and as geologists explain every time, it is expected another strong earthquake in this area. And yes, I live at the sea side... and at only 5 km distance to the main branch of the North Anatolian Fault Zone! I can't imagine what would be if this expected one happens!
Yes - and I live right on the Ring of Fire - about 17 meters above sea level less than 1 km from the ocean. In Vancouver, the major fault has not released in a LONG time. This whole thing fills me with dread.
Silence makes me afraid... But I am sure the city planning and buildings are all done according to this risk, dear Robert, actually in Japan, if this tsunami wouldn't have been, maybe the view would be different... they were dealing with earthquakes very well, till last friday. Of course, everybody and every country should think of this, our earth seems that moves and shakes more than before...

What can I say, I wish you to be in safe and not living any disaster.

with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Sobering thoughts. And my goodness, as I'm tapping this I hear via the BBC that now the death toll is projected in excess of 10 thousand. Half a million without homes.
I'm been aware for years that the Japanese have resourcefulness and stoicism in places many of us in the west don't even have places; and I see lines upon lines of them waiting with fortitude and patience for food that is already extremely scarce. Even as this disaster continues to unfold impossibly further, I am positively awestruck by the resilience of the Japanese character that not even our media is failing to allow us to see to some extent.
And Toad, here I am over here with a reasonable geographical awareness of where you are yet it's not until you actually stated the above that my mind has connected with your proximity to that Pacific-board faultline(is that the San Andreas or am I incorrect?). The internet and formation of online text over a period of a few short years along with me turning my pc on, has allowed me to get to "know" you as most here despite never having seen your, your body language, nor heard your voice.. Though I wonder at my mental construct, as you don't sound Canadian in my head..! ...how poignant to know and realise the potential frailness of us all.
And Nia, of course: I realise the mediterrranean and all along past yourself are covered with areas of potential natural disaster; I remember in Italy too, thinking how many thousands of people live next to or on top of volcanoes that presumably one day will burst into activity.
I wonder further if the "evolution" of the earth has been far from a long and slow event, but more of a series of shorter cataclysmic ones. D'you know, I'm sure if I did the maths here, and divided the distance between the earth's tectonic plates by all the slow and fatefully fast movements, surely I'd come up with a figure a lot less than millions...just a thought.
Craig, I'm shaking my head with disbelief at that sad and hapless tale you recounted above; and elsewhere in the US I gather there has been some damage along the coast.
I wonder too about if there any untold tales from all those countless low-lying isles and atolls in the Pacific, as surely many islands can't be much higher than a couple of metres above sea level anyway?

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

It is simply beyond comprehension... first the earthquake, then the tsunami, then nuclear incidents, then more aftershocks and tsunamis... and the loss of power, and access to fresh food and running water will obviously take its toll.

Praying for the people of Japan...

shuttertalk Wrote:It is simply beyond comprehension... first the earthquake, then the tsunami, then nuclear incidents, then more aftershocks and tsunamis...
...and don't forget the volcano.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/...lcano.html

nia Wrote:... But I am sure the city planning and buildings are all done according to this risk...
I wish it were so. They are starting to do seismic upgrades, but its very slow, and its a race against the clock.

Actually, despite my *near the sea* location, I sincerely hope I am at home rather than at work if a major earthquake occurs. I work in the suburb of Richmond, which is actually below sea level surrounded by some lowish earthen dikes. The suburb is build on muddy bottom land in the middle of the Fraser river. It seems solid enough, and an entire city (including the International Airport) has been built on this solid-looking river delta. The problem (excluding tsunamis for the moment) is a phenonema known as liquefaction. Wikipedia describes liquefaction as follows: "Soil liquefaction describes a phenomenon whereby saturated soil substantially loses strength and stiffness in response to an applied stress, usually earthquake shaking, causing it to behave like a liquid."

What this means to me is that in a major earthquake, I am suddenly in very deep vibrating soupy mud. Think of it like the foam on the top of a glass of Guinness. You can support a penny on it if you are careful - but tap on the side of the glass, and the penny heads for the bottom.

So being at home (near as I am to the ocean) looks pretty good compared to being at work. If Japan, which has the best earthquake construction in the world, suffers like they are, I don't have a very good feeling about other places.

Toad Wrote:
nia Wrote:... But I am sure the city planning and buildings are all done according to this risk...
I wish it were so. They are starting to do seismic upgrades, but its very slow, and its a race against the clock.

Actually, despite my *near the sea* location, I sincerely hope I am at home rather than at work if a major earthquake occurs. I work in the suburb of Richmond, which is actually below sea level surrounded by some lowish earthen dikes. The suburb is build on muddy bottom land in the middle of the Fraser river. It seems solid enough, and an entire city (including the International Airport) has been built on this solid-looking river delta. The problem (excluding tsunamis for the moment) is a phenonema known as liquefaction. Wikipedia describes liquefaction as follows: "Soil liquefaction describes a phenomenon whereby saturated soil substantially loses strength and stiffness in response to an applied stress, usually earthquake shaking, causing it to behave like a liquid."

What this means to me is that in a major earthquake, I am suddenly in very deep vibrating soupy mud. Think of it like the foam on the top of a glass of Guinness. You can support a penny on it if you are careful - but tap on the side of the glass, and the penny heads for the bottom.

So being at home (near as I am to the ocean) looks pretty good compared to being at work. If Japan, which has the best earthquake construction in the world, suffers like they are, I don't have a very good feeling about other places.
I can almost understand, and I worry much more now dear Robert, as dear Zig and Julian said, the view of the future doesn't seem good. This should be the time human world would be in alert and as you meant it is like a race against the clock!!!! It is same for us too, especially with more than 11 million population of this city...

Japan earthquake(s) made us of all, to see the reality... Nature world doesn't seem that human world could stand against it... at least for right now or disasters are increasing more than before and also by the strongest and powerful way.

I pray for Japanese people, it is the worst tragic,...

Dear Robert, I am thinking of you, what you said about the place of your work. But should be an alarm system, can be announced before the earthquake and also tsunami. This is the most important thing as I realised in this tragic event. But of course not one minute ago.... I do believe they will find this, I mean to give an alarm for all these things hours ago... So people could find time for leaving the area...

Ansel Adams

Liquifaction is what caused a lot of damage in the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906, a lot of the bay side land is reclaimed land, built on mud and sunken boats full of rocks.... there is still buildings on that type of land there today!

just want to join in on other people's prayers and my thoughts, along with all ours, are with the people who suffer through these apocalyptic events in Japan.

Uli

Awwww Uli...despite the subject we're engaged upon, what a delight to see you again! How about opening another post and letting us know what you've been up to!

wulinka Wrote:just want to join in on other people's prayers and my thoughts, along with all ours, are with the people who suffer through these apocalyptic events in Japan.

Uli
Hi Ulinka, I am glad to see you too, I know we haven't met but dear Irma and all other friends are always talking about you. By the way where is dear Irma, I can't see her for a while, I hope she is fine. As dear Zig says, it would be so nice, being here with us again Smile

By the way, world is thinking about Nuclear plants, how can be risk in such a these events! And our prime minister went to make an aggrement for to build a nuclear plant in our country with Russia!!!! All Greenpeace and civil society organizations and environmentalists are against this project. I don't know what will be... But Merkel did great, Germany will shut down all seven of its nuclear power plants.

Ansel Adams

I agree, Nia, that it is a good thing for the world's nations to review the issue of nuclear power. How terrible it is as always that it takes such a tragedy to galvanise countries to take their heads out of the denial-bucket and address unpleasant matters;.... or...how remarkable it is that even out of immense destruction can emerge some choice for good perhaps.

Zig Wrote:I agree, Nia, that it is a good thing for the world's nations to review the issue of nuclear power. How terrible it is as always that it takes such a tragedy to galvanise countries to take their heads out of the denial-bucket and address unpleasant matters;.... or...how remarkable it is that even out of immense destruction can emerge some choice for good perhaps.
Yes, dear Zig, you said well.

It seemed to me the earth is in a new period by all these huge disasters... And they happen very often. Rains, storms, volcanos, earthquakes, tsunami, floods,... Every day coming another tragic story from somewhere else... So, human world should build so many things again according to all these disasters... We don't have another place to go, this is our home and we have to find the way how we live in safe. Who is talking, me,...I know, it is up to me! But makes me worry and fear for the near future...

In one side, there is the reality of these disasters and in other side, there is fighting, or vilonce in the world. Why don't they stop all these fightings...

About these nuclear plants... What should or can I say I don't know. Last night there was a television program that was discussing this matter, should be a nuclear plant or not! The both sides talked well and you can understand the reasons of them, but when we think of the risk, it is so big! Is it worthy to take this risk. Why don't they see that Japan failed on this nuclear plant matter! I can't understand.

I just keep my belief and my prayers... I know, it can be strange according to the all these realities, because God gave us a brain for to think. Nature world is not forgiven us.

Thank you dear Zig, I hope and wish a better days waiting for us Smile
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

It is an astonishing spectacle of devastation I find hard to believe. We are praying for Japan.

Canon stuff.

The Big Picture has posted press photos from the affected areas in Japan, 1 month on.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/04...later.html

Sobering and fascinating at the same time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post