Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 Secrets to Make Your Camera Battery Last Longer

Want you battery to last longer during shoots? DO NOT turn off your camera.. most cameras require more energy when powering on than they do to staying idle... Read more tips on how to make your camera battery last longer

http://www.photographytalk.com/4217-9-se...ast-longer

Had to look up chimping, new word to me!! Ed.

To each his own!

That is a bit like buying a Porsche and driving it to get the fuel economy of a Prius.

Drive the camera in the way it was designed to be used, taking advantage of all of its features that will help your photography, and be prepared to use more "fuel" - buy extra batteries, keep them fully charged, and always take at least one spare in your bag or pocket.

Cheers.
Philip

(May 14, 2014, 05:45)MrB Wrote:  That is a bit like buying a Porsche and driving it to get the fuel economy of a Prius.

Drive the camera in the way it was designed to be used, taking advantage of all of its features that will help your photography, and be prepared to use more "fuel" - buy extra batteries, keep them fully charged, and always take at least one spare in your bag or pocket.

Cheers.
Philip

I agree, Philip. Like memory cards batteries are relatively cheap so have at least one spare, fully charged.
Dean

[And me Ed!!!!!!)

They say that: "This might seem like a faulty piece of advice, but trust me, it isn’t .Most cameras require more energy when powering on than they do to staying idle."

This doesn't make sense to me. While the camera powers up, it has to turn on several sensors and components. However, if you don't use your camera on M (and it's on either Auto, A or S) I believe that the camera is still at work: sensors constantly read data, the processor constantly interprets it and sets the other settings. Even if you have a lid on your camera, its sensors are still at work.

It may be similar to the scenario that it takes more energy to turn a light on and off in the home versus leaving the light on - not exactly the same situation but I can see how this may be possible to some degree. Of course, how long you are leaving the camera on is another factor??

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Since reading your thread, Jeffbridge, I have taken to leaving my camera switched on when tracking through birding territory and now prefer it - it does give an edge, if slight, in speed of firing off a shot or two when a suitable subject appears. At the same time, I am not much given to battery saving activity at present - enough to think about and I still benefit from chimping (where did the word actually originate?) quite often, as with birding I use almost entirely manual settings and I can still get wrong exposures. Nevertheless, as a result of this thread I have in fact cut down my chimping quite noticeably to avoid distraction, potentially purely from habit, and I am watching (and being surprised by) the rate both battery and card are consumed. Regards, Jeff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post