Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A day at the Zoo - with Gorillas

Took a day out at the Zoo... spent time with Gorillas... never felt sure who was watching who...

Details:
Camera Canon EOS 1D Mk lV
Lens Canon EF 300mm f2.8 L is
Converter Canon 1.4 Mk lll
Aperture F4
Shutter 1/800
Happy to receive any comments

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Couple more... Big Grin

Details the same as previous... any comments happy to receive

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Wonderfully detailed images, Rolf.

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 9, 2014, 14:18)MrB Wrote:  Wonderfully detailed images, Rolf.

Cheers.
Philip
Thank you Philip.. appreciate you taking the time to look and comment back. I shifted as much shadow as I could... Big Grin
Have a good evening

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Those are great images Rolf. Thanks for posting.

Peter

Photography is a never-ending journey

(Dec 9, 2014, 14:39)Plantsman Wrote:  Those are great images Rolf. Thanks for posting.

Peter

Thank you Peter for your kind remark.. glad you liked them.

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hi Rolf
They are lovely photos, well done. You have captured the expression on her face in great detail, to me she looks fed up and thoughtful.
Great photos
Regards
Jane

(Dec 10, 2014, 06:52)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi Rolf
They are lovely photos, well done. You have captured the expression on her face in great detail, to me she looks fed up and thoughtful.
Great photos
Regards
Jane

Hello Jane!
Thank you for your comment. I did wonder about the ethics of keeping animals in captivity. They all had a look of resignation on their faces... contrast that with real life footage of the same species in the wild and you have to feel for the Zoo animals.
Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Lovely photos. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. If they are thinking.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Excellent. Ed.

To each his own!

(Dec 10, 2014, 15:13)NT73 Wrote:  Lovely photos. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. If they are thinking.
Thank you NT73. I also wondered and as I replied to Jane I was concerned about the ethics of keeping wild animals locked up in a concrete pen when you see travelogues of them in their natural habitat it seems not quite right somehow...

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Dec 10, 2014, 15:24)EdMak Wrote:  Excellent. Ed.

Thank you Ed... glad you liked the photo's.

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Dec 10, 2014, 09:55)Rolf Wrote:  
(Dec 10, 2014, 06:52)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi Rolf
Great photos
Regards
Jane

Hello Jane!
Thank you for your comment. I did wonder about the ethics of keeping animals in captivity. They all had a look of resignation on their faces... contrast that with real life footage of the same species in the wild and you have to feel for the Zoo animals.
Kind regards
Rolf

Beautiful photos Rolf.
Without zoos we would not see so many animals, and many would probably be extinct now. They just need more space and a more natural habitat. I went to Woburn Abbey in England a couple of years ago, where the animals are free and we are in the cars. You can drive round as many times as you like.
Best wishes
Jane

(Dec 10, 2014, 16:52)Rolf Wrote:  
(Dec 10, 2014, 15:13)NT73 Wrote:  Lovely photos. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. If they are thinking.
Thank you NT73. I also wondered and as I replied to Jane I was concerned about the ethics of keeping wild animals locked up in a concrete pen when you see travelogues of them in their natural habitat it seems not quite right somehow...

Kind regards
Rolf

When you see photos or news coverage of downed elephants and rhinos without their tusks and gorillas minus hands, it kind of makes you wonder which is best

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Beautiful photos Rolf.
Without zoos we would not see so many animals, and many would probably be extinct now. They just need more space and a more natural habitat. I went to Woburn Abbey in England a couple of years ago, where the animals are free and we are in the cars. You can drive round as many times as you like.
Best wishes
Jane
[/quote]

I went to Woburn... was a while ago though... Went to Longleat too... went in with two perfectly good wiper blades... came out with none and car anointed with second hand monkey lunches... Undecided I do take your point about being able to see animals that would normally not be accessible... just wish a little more thought went into some zoos' habitatery ( I made that up but it seemed to fit! ) Big Grin

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

When you see photos or news coverage of downed elephants and rhinos without their tusks and gorillas minus hands, it kind of makes you wonder which is best

[/quote]

I saw a lot of that in Gabon when I was out there working... Sad

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Excellent captures - well taken.

(Dec 11, 2014, 00:03)Jeffbridge Wrote:  Excellent captures - well taken.

Thank you Jeff... appreciate it

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Looking back to when I was a child many zoos were deplorable places - despite probable protestations from some employees - with scant attention being paid to proper animal welfare. In my opinion simply establishments to make money by exhibiting wildlife that otherwise would not be seen by the average family. Thankfully, we now have a more enlightened approach to the exhibition of non-native wildlife, and many of the zoos remaining have become 'Wildlife Parks' allowing species space to roam, albeit within a compound for the safety of visiting public. The wildlife park in my home county appears to be a fine example of a modern "zoo" having a strong active link to the conservation of endangered species and the rescue of animals that would very likely have been euthanised owing to the failure of old money-strapped zoos having to close down.

A recent introduction is Victor, a Polar Bear retired from the European breeding program after his many years contributing to the conservation of his species.
Also a rare Amur Leopard arrived from France as part of the European endangered species breeding program, and a rare Amur Tigress, Tschuma, arrived from Dudley Zoo in a bid to help save the species and was introduced to Vladimir one of the resident tigers in the hope that they will one day have cubs.

I can only hope that whatever resources are put into world species conservation here in the UK it is much more than equaled by the improvement and extension of native habitats and the pursuing and prosecution of those who unlawfully kill our wildlife. - Peter

Photography is a never-ending journey

(Dec 12, 2014, 06:28)Plantsman Wrote:  Looking back to when I was a child many zoos were deplorable places - despite probable protestations from some employees - with scant attention being paid to proper animal welfare. In my opinion simply establishments to make money by exhibiting wildlife that otherwise would not be seen by the average family. Thankfully, we now have a more enlightened approach to the exhibition of non-native wildlife, and many of the zoos remaining have become 'Wildlife Parks' allowing species space to roam, albeit within a compound for the safety of visiting public. The wildlife park in my home county appears to be a fine example of a modern "zoo" having a strong active link to the conservation of endangered species and the rescue of animals that would very likely have been euthanised owing to the failure of old money-strapped zoos having to close down.

A recent introduction is Victor, a Polar Bear retired from the European breeding program after his many years contributing to the conservation of his species.
Also a rare Amur Leopard arrived from France as part of the European endangered species breeding program, and a rare Amur Tigress, Tschuma, arrived from Dudley Zoo in a bid to help save the species and was introduced to Vladimir one of the resident tigers in the hope that they will one day have cubs.

I can only hope that whatever resources are put into world species conservation here in the UK it is much more than equaled by the improvement and extension of native habitats and the pursuing and prosecution of those who unlawfully kill our wildlife. - Peter
Hi Peter!

Good points, eloquently made. I think we are on the same page. I will still support the local Zoo... as a photographer, and hope that my small contribution helps the inmates.

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Tess32
Jun 29, 2006, 04:03