Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A day out at the Zoo - other animals

I posted some Gorilla shots and thought you may like to see a few others from a day at the Zoo?

Details
Canon EOS 1D Mk lV
Lens Canon EF300mm f2.8L is
Extender Canon 1.4 Mk lll
ISO 400
Aperture f4
Shutter speed 1/800 to 1/2000

I have some others but don't want to swamp the site with my stuff, but if anyone wants more then I would be happy to post a few more

Comments welcome

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Nicely composed photos with very natural-looking colours, Rolf. The lion's image might possibly withstand a bit more gentle sharpening, but the detail in all of them is well-captured.

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 9, 2014, 14:29)MrB Wrote:  Nicely composed photos with very natural-looking colours, Rolf. The lion's image might possibly withstand a bit more gentle sharpening, but the detail in all of them is well-captured.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks Philip... All I did with the Lion was to shrink it for the site... I will take a look in LR and see if the sharpening will work. I do rather tend not to do much post... The 300mm weighs in at 11lbs with the camera at another 21/2 so with the extender I handhold about 15lbs which may account for any softness in the image... my bad as they say over here! Undecided The colours are as they were... I have the camera set at faithful colour reproduction although I do admit to adjusting white balance on the fly - if it's a sunny day with the vegetation a little dried out and autumnal, I work with a higher Kelvin to get the deeper warmer tones and adjust as the day wears on to suit. I find a higher K value over here works well to get the snow to be white not blue and the snow shadows to be grey/black and not blue/dark blue. The eye doesn't see snow as blue... even though there are obviously a lot of blue wavelengths returning from it. We want to see it white! Big Grin I have advised that to many who have asked how to get snow white. There is one school of thought which suggests over exposing by 2 stops to basically blow out the snow is the way, but I feel that you lose a lot of the detail in the snow doing that. Never a dull moment in photography!

Kind regards
Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Yet more good photos - absolutely LOVE the Lion SmileSmile
Regards Jane

(Dec 10, 2014, 06:59)snaphappy Wrote:  Yet more good photos - absolutely LOVE the Lion SmileSmile
Regards Jane

Hi Jane!
Thank you! Glad you liked them.
Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

The Zebra grows on me, different. As Philip says, a bit of sharpening, and, blurred the right background a bit. Like to see an A3 of it. All goodies. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Thanks Ed. I really should get to grips with LR but I am still somewhat reluctant to try to portray an image as being something I took yet it's not - if you understand.

I used an aperture at the 150 yards I was from the Lion, to try to leave some background in for context rather than a complete blur as if it was a portrait... (which is what I wanted for the Zebra which was f2.8 at a distance of around 20feet) ..as for the sharpness... that could be down to handholding a 15lb camera and 300mm lens with a converter on too... Undecided But, it was a long day and I chose not to lug a tripod around a crowded zoo too.
But, I am happy with the feedback and glad you took time to give it.

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Very interesting series!

reluctant to try to portray an image as being something I took yet it's not

Appreciate what you are saying Rolf.

As a rule of thumb, I imagine it in B & W, and think, could I have done that in the darkroom, if not, it's a Digital Image.

I could have blurred your background, not quite as good! could have easily darkened it, no bother.

Sharpening, well, you cannot sharpen a dizzy pic, so any sharpening is overcoming a legacy of "Dry Photography".

Friend has 2/3 Top end Canon's, I can always, to me, improve his pics. Cheers. Ed.,

To each his own!

(Dec 11, 2014, 09:15)EdMak Wrote:   reluctant to try to portray an image as being something I took yet it's not

Appreciate what you are saying Rolf.

As a rule of thumb, I imagine it in B & W, and think, could I have done that in the darkroom, if not, it's a Digital Image.

I could have blurred your background, not quite as good! could have easily darkened it, no bother.

Sharpening, well, you cannot sharpen a dizzy pic, so any sharpening is overcoming a legacy of "Dry Photography".

Friend has 2/3 Top end Canon's, I can always, to me, improve his pics. Cheers. Ed.,
Always room for improvement Ed... and I understand what you said. I look at it like this... I take the pic... take a look on the screen, look at the histo - keep or discard reset and try again... I used to work for a national newspaper in the far east as a freelancer... so record shots... and to get paid they had to be of publishing quality on delivery as they didn't have the timeframes to mess with the film in a darkroom afterwards before they went to press. I got into a regime of getting it done in camera and I suppose that's where I still am. I have LR5 and can do a little but it's just the way I am I would rather not spend time in the digital darkroom but be out taking pics... and hopefully bringing back ones that don't need too much more work?Smile But, again, I understand what you are saying ... appreciate it too.
Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Rolf - that's an admirable and enviable ability you have to get the job done in camera...Jeff

(Dec 15, 2014, 15:19)Freeman Wrote:  Rolf - that's an admirable and enviable ability you have to get the job done in camera...Jeff

Hi Jeff, I wouldn't go so far as to say that , more an ambition, but I do try to record what I see rather than take a photo for the express purpose of going through a "workflow" to make it into something that wasn't there when I took it. I do understand Ed's point about improvement... I have been known to "improve" the aesthetics by getting rid of marks from dirt on the sensor, a friends wife's bee sting on her face on her wedding day... that kind of thing. I also understand Mr B's points about the ability of a camera to "see". I know that not even my Canon 1 series can see the whole range of black at RGB 0 and white at RGB255 - the dynamic range is not that good.... but then... when we look at a picture... magazine, newspaper, advertising billboard ... do we really worry that the whites are not at 255 and the blacks not at 0? You can get a good Photo that is not technically perfect... You can also spend an eternity in front of a PC with expensive software, and churn out over processed "images" that frankly ruin what may have been an acceptably good Photo. I am not against tidying an image, perhaps the day you had waited for, for so long to get out to a location, turns out it's a damp overcast day and you may need to do a little post to bring some contrast back to the image, or indeed lighten shadows..... get all that... but I would still rather try to get the shot "in camera" if at all possible... if not ... well, I admit to owning LR5.7... :-)

Each to their own form of expression and long may that be the case.

Have a great day...

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Aug 31, 2011, 19:10