Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portrait

Hi All,

I had the great chance to take pictures of this girl few weeks ago. The task was to use natural light. I had a big window at the right and a reflector at the left in some of them. A big window in the ceiling too...

My doubts in this series are contrast, bw conversion and lighting too.

Thanks so much for any comment to improve my pictures... Smile

[Image: IMG_3002-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3117-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3136-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3097-Edit.jpg]

Oh! forgot to say that this is the first time I use frames, so they are not consistent in width... I am still looking up a script to do my framing better.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma,

I like the frames - they set the images off nicely.

1) The lighting looks nice to me in this - not sure of the background as there appears to be some issues in the top right area with flat white running into some shadowy area. I find her arm/hand position a little distracting - looks like she has an itch.

2) My favourite of the 4 - I like the connection she has with the camera and the lighting is a little more dramatic. Perhaps she could use her fist to lean on, or all her fingers - the little finger by itself feels a little odd to me.

3) Also not bad. Would have preferred her little finger to be on her cheek rather then touching her lips. The lighting is also emphasizing her eye bag on the left hand side making her look a little tired. Her lighting on her face also appears a little too "hot".

4) I don't like the pose at all I am sorry. Just doesn't seem to work.

I like the black and white conversions.

Hope you don't mind the feedback.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

At the contrary Chris. Thanks so much for your review on my pictures.. I appreciate it a lot! Smile

I am having problems with the light in portrait... Many of my pictures from that day have a triagle of shadow under the eye... I really don't know why this happened.

I had been talking with this girl before my photo session. Then, I found her expression friendly and she, herself, is very kind and very sweet, very cooperative too. But when I saw her through the view finder... I couldn't believe it!! Her look was so strong, I just wanted to sit back and say... Sorry I can't do it.... I got so nervous... reviewing my pictures I have pictures with 1/100sec and they are shaky! I was shooting with an IS lens!!

About the pose I think I need a little more imagination, indeed... I am a bit lost here.

I always ask them to move freely and when I see something I like I take the picture, but I think also she was not feeling so comfortable with this idea, she told me that when she was moving and she didn't hear the shutter she was thinking she was doing something wrong, and she got a bit nervous too...

This girl has been already in some photo studios doing some modeling work. As far as I understood, she is used to be told what to do, how to move or how to stand and not to move freely like kind of expressing yourself... You can't imagine how much it took me to get this soft look of the second picture... Still, #2 is not a picture she likes much, because it doesn't express much of her personality.

So then it comes the big question to me, regardless how much you can/have to influence in a portrait picture or not. My idea with this pictures was not meant to be everyday pictures but something more artistic. I didn't want them to be like model pictures because I was not selling this product... but I wanted to convey a feeling, I wanted the viewer to have a more emotional response than she is a pretty girl.

Perhaps, my whole approach to this kind of portrait is just wrong. She is very enthusiastic, however, to try more pictures and to do more artistic photography... we have big plans, but I want to be better prepared for the task.

Thanks again Chris, for your comment, and all who have seen and read my post... Smile

These are some pictures that I think she liked the most, she said she could see hereself here.

[Image: IMG_3022.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3103.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

only real issue i have with it is that the background is too similar to the model's skin tones.

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Her look was so strong? Hard, tough cookie?
I like the last one as she looks soft and tender. (Not like a steak Wink ) Feminine is the word.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks RP for your comment.. you have a good point here... I am looking for some other backgrounds.

NT... Smile
She is really a very sweet girl... I am looking forward to another session of pictures with her... now I will do it with flash...

Paul Cezanne

Nice job you have done! The image is real sharp! A reflector really is of great use especially to get good images. Big Grin You have done great even with natural light only, what more with the right strobes..

Thanks for your comment... Smile

Welcome to shuttertalk!

Paul Cezanne

Hi, Irma!

I am only going to comment on one. I think that the 3rd image of the first series is is best of the bunch with regard to pose and composition. However, I feel that her ring is a bit gaudy and detracts from an otherwise very captivating portrait. (I am really taken with this image.) In addition, the light here seems somewhat harsh...a little softer might enhance that image. Perhaps it's that contrast issue that was concerning you.

Nevertheless, a great effort with the series.

Regards.....Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks a lot for your comment about the ring, it is always good to know what men think about women accessories in these kind of pictures.

I think the idea behind was to look like dress up for a party... Smile

About the light, it was good, but as part of my post processing I made it a bit harder...

Greetings,

Irma.

Paul Cezanne

I don't usually comment on portrait work, especially posed "studio" style portraits as it is a field I have never experienced.

That said, I love #3 of the original posts, the positiom, facial expression and lighting all work together marvellously.

Thanks so much for your comment Craig, it is very kind of you, really.
Specially because you don't work with portrait in studio, it is very interesting to me, to know what you liked... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma, I think you both did great, she is so nice and you captured so nice poses... My best one is number 3, and especially number 4, I didn't like so much, but all others are well captured ones.. It should be exciting Portrait photography, good luck dear Irma, and thank you for sharing with us,

Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

She looks so serious in these shots. Some of her other shots are more whimsical, but the first set is serious. That looks like what you and the model were going for in that shoot.

So - you have great poses and facial expressions. MY suggestion would be to go with a much more dramatic lighting scheme. The softness of the light in these shots seems to me to be in opposition to her intent.

Strong side light - maybe B&W, dark background.... more drama.

Just my $.02

BTW: How are you Irma? long time no see. I miss you guys.

Thanks Toad for your review on my pictures, always a pleasure to read your thoughts about my photography... Smile

I am doing fine, still trying to get out of the gap I was in my photography.. Coming back to my roots, (shooting outdoors, nature mainly and posting my tries in the Critique forum)... Smile and looking forward to see what the forum thinks about this second epoca...

And you? How are you doing?

I've been missing you in the forum...

Paul Cezanne

Hey Toad - great to see you back again. It has also been wonderful to see Irma around again Smile

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Feb 4, 2021, 12:19
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 21:23
Last Post by delb0y
Nov 14, 2016, 05:56