Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

About to buy - comments on Canon SD300, A95, S60 and Sony DSC P200

Am about to buy and have isolated these as the best quality/feature set combinations for what I'm looking for based on internet reviews and friend's comments. I know they're different, but seem to be comparable in 2 pairs :

Canon SD300 and Sony DSC P200
Canon A95 and S60

I'm an moderate enthusiast with a $600 Cdn budget and a good interest in landscape/architecture, group/portrait and various night shots. If I buy the Canon SD300 or Sony DSC P200 I will buy a more powerful/flexible digital camera later on, making this the "carry everywhere" camera. If I buy the Canon A95 or S60 this would be more of the "hobby" camera, so I can see myself buying a "carry everywhere" camera later.

Any comments/suggestions/experiences to share?

TIA - R.

If group/portrait photography is important to you, then you should really consider a camera that lets you use an external (off-camera) flash or flashes. Even if you are doing natural light portraits, you will find situations where you need to supplement the existing light with flash, and the on-board flash on a point-and-shoot is typically useless.

With Canon point-and-shoot cameras, that means saving your money for a G6, or looking for a deal on a used G5 or even G3. They would also be super "take anywhere" cameras.

You will upgrade to a more powerful camera eventually; I'd say go straight to it. Smile

At the start of last year I bought a Song V1, great little camera and I have taken some great shots with it but after a while I found that it's smaller size limited my shall we say "creativity" when I found that the manual side of the camera was a bit harder to use particularly since I need glasses for reading and a lot of the settings had to be changed on a small screen. In January this year I splurged and bought a Pentax *ist Ds and have not looked back, I still use the V1 occasionally when space is at a premium but prefer the Pentax.

What am I trying to say here? If you think you will use it then go for it and buy as much camera as you can afford, you will save money by buying once rather than twice or more.

Cheers.

PeteD

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

To add to what has previously been saif, most Point and shoot give very poor night shot performance. Sorry I can't suggest an alternative in your budget other than maybe try and find someone off0loading a 300D as they upgrade needlessly to the 350XT.

G'day Rooster... I agree with your train of thought - if you're thinking of purchasing a more powerful camera later on (e.g. DSLR) then perhaps you should consider getting a compact take-anywhere camera to start with. That way, your original purchase won't go to waste - you can bring the little one to parties and places you wouldn't bring a big, bulky camera.

With the first set you suggested, they are compact point and shoot, while the 2nd set has more flexibile features.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post