Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Absent mindedness!!

I can't believe I did it, but I did. I went to lunch yesterday at a chinese restaurant with wifey, and her sister and brother. Thought I'd bring my camera, just in case. Food was good, conversation was good, and I forgot to take photos. That wasn't the only thing I forgot -- I walked out, blindly oblivious to the fact that the camera bag was still sitting under the table, hidden by the tablecloth.

Yes, my camera bag, containing my D50, SB600 flashgun and various other accessories.

I didn't realise I was missing my camera until the restaurant called my wife, asking her if she or any people at the table had left anything behind. My wife called me, and *click* I remembered my camera - a full 24 hours after. I brushed aside the shock and called the restaurant back. The manager asked
"What did you leave behind?"
"Camera and bag"
"What brand?"
"Nikon"
"You can come and collect it anytime..."

I went back sheepishly this evening and collected my camera - all items accounted for. I must say that I'm ever so thankful to the honesty and professionalism of the restaurant staff. They had found it while clearing the tables, cross checked the table with the reservation details my wife had supplied, and even had the initiative to call her back to check.

Man that was too close for comfort. I hope I never do anything so foolish ever again...

phew!
I'm glad this story had a happy ending for you Jules!
Its also reassuring that in amongst all the "bad news" stories that seem to fill photography forums, there are still good news stories too!

Not everyone is a crook, a terrorist, a power-hungry politician or a perve. Tongue

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I left a Minolta underwater camera (film) in a cafe in Tenerife. I do not really expect to see it again, but I haven't been back since. I did get a pay out on the insurance (£25.00) wear and tear. A new one at that time was £260.
Honestly what can you buy for £25. After disputing the amount and getting nowhere, I removed my house and contents insurance to another company. I get letters every year asking for my business. ha ha ha ha.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Pretty lucky Jules - good thing you left a decent tip... Big Grin

NT73: I always buy full replacement value insurance on my camera gear. The depreciation that insurance companies apply to "normal" items is brutal.

Lucky thing Jules!
God I hope that never happens to me!!
(although chances are it will, I'm THE most forgetful person in the world!!)

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

That's the greatest restaurant I have heard about.... :-)

"Phew..." - You can say that again!

It so happens that it's one of our favourite restaruants... now it's even more special! Big Grin

I bet you'll be eating there again. Glad to hear you got your gear back.

NT73- Good on you!

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

WOW ST I hope you went out and bought a lottery ticket after that..........one for the staff too Big Grin

Absent mindedness isn't just something old people have, my 18 year old keeps leaving our house keys at his mates places........he is banned from having one now. I sometimes forget where I put my beer with the help of the kids who think its funny to watch dad wander round the house after they hide it! (darn kids)....:/

Wow, that was a close call!

glad to hear I'm not the only one to do something. Only I left mine on the plane coming home. I took it on as a carry-on and then set it under the seat as per regulations. As I was getting up I had a distinct feeling I was leaving something behind, so I turned around and looked at my seat. However, I didn't see anything so I thought I was crazy. I tried to contact the airline, but no one reported anything. However, I discovered that this is a fairly regular occurance and that such items are often auctioned off. So, if you're looking for some odds and ends check your local airline, and if you find a Minolta X9 in a beat-up, dark blue fanny pack, it's probably mine!

Woah, I can imagine the heart pounding.

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Well, looks like I’m in good company. A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I were out at a large local park here and I was shooting pictures. We had been there several hours when I suddenly realized I didn’t have my camera bag (I just had my camera in my hand). I almost panicked at the thought of losing my lenses and filters. We had been over many acres of the park and it could have been anywhere. The sun was starting to go down and we had a lot of ground to cover, so we split up and went in different directions to cover our tracks. After a short time, I saw my husband running and waving at me. He had found it in the middle of a field where I had put it down so he could take a picture of me.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange