Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Abstract..

I went out to take pictures in the contryside yesterday since we had a cloudy and somewhat interesting sky... I parked the car downhill and when I saw the roof of the car... My picture was there... I took few pictures from different angles but this one is the one I really like and it shows what I wanted to show...

My idea here was to blend the reflection of the car with the real landscape... The gradient color of the field is because the field is a bit hilly and it gave those colors.. About post processing, I really didn't do too much... I only cloned out a shinny line in the right part of the roof.

I've been working with abstracts and I know I am not good at it. Perhaps because I haven't seen enough abstract pictures to get the feeling... Or it could be that it is not my field in photography... Anyway, I want to give this picture a chance...

Thanks a lot for your comments Smile

[Image: DSC_2116-01carlandscape.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

oooh, I like it! very nice clean car you've got there!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Irma Wrote:I've been working with abstracts and I know I am not good at it. Perhaps because I haven't seen enough abstract pictures to get the feeling...

I know what you mean. Thats why I have a difficult time with your photo. I just don't think I have a broad knowledge or interest. Sad

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Irma:

Glad to see others working with pure abstracts! Matthew and Don also will probably weigh in with opinions on this one.

I have a small problem with this one. I can immediately identify the object as a car - so this reduces its abstract value for me. When I see a "car", my eye is distracted by the softness of focus on the car details - so it doesn't look abstract to me and yet not realistic either.

I see what you are going for, however, and I often face this kind of problem with abstracts. What I usually do in this situation is to alter the point of view to remove the "reality" from the scene. If I see a car when I look at it, I change it until I don't see a car anymore - then the true lines and forms of the abtract reveal themselves.

There are many ways to do this. Here is a quick and dirty one.

[Image: 58_test.jpg]

Please feel free to diregard any advice. Abstracts are extremely subjective, and what works for one person does not necessarily work for another.

Colin, Thanks a lot for look at my picture and your comment. I really appreciate your honesty... Smile

Toad, What you did with the picture is great. It is amazing how a picture changes when, as you said, one alters the point of view. With this picture and your explanation in your comment I undertood what I have to look for in an abstract. Thank you very much.
I am totally happy, my picture looks wonderful Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I love both the original and flipped - very abstract, and very rich colours, with nice strong lines.

I like the original, and good job in spotting such potential in re-seeing a familiar object. But the flipped image is just wild...

Try scrolling the image so that the black trim at the left edge is completely cropped out. Now we're looking at a panoramic landscape with a touch of fisheye distortion and a rich blue sky. The centre of the photo has these inexplicable leading lines swooping from the top (!) of the image, coming out of the sky. It also has these odd reflections at the very right side. I feel like I'm looking out of a glass-bubble canopy in a speeding fighter jet, but I know that's not what the photo is. It's fascinating.

I know this is the critique forum, but I don't have anything to critique. The dreamy softness should even be an asset for printing it big.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

hi

this are the shots that you see in art galleries in perth, not my kind. but very nice colours.

regards

christian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zig
Dec 12, 2010, 02:48
Last Post by Irma
Jan 19, 2010, 05:20
Last Post by Petographer
Nov 23, 2005, 07:34