Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Acoustic guitar tone

When I play acoustic, I usually go direct to PA from my guitar. However I wasn't quite content with the tone I was getting from just the guitar into the PA - it lacked a certain warmth and life, despite how much I tweaked my onboard EQ.

I then experimented with adding a chorus pedal or a delay pedal. I only used a touch of chorus/delay, not wanting to over-process my tone, and it seemed to fill out my sound quite well.

I also recently bought an Aphex Acoustic Exciter, which supposedly enhances the harmonics in your bass and treble frequencies and adds a lot more warmth and life to your sound. It also doubles as a DI box, so I'm using this stompbox 100% of the time now and I'm in love with this pedal. However, I have not yet tried using it with a chorus/delay...

Do you use any effects when you play acoustic guitar? What steps do you go through to get your acoustic 'tone'?

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

wow!! sounds good! I want to try that!.
At the moment, I always go straight to the DI into the mixer.
I've got a small Zoom effects for acoustic though, but I don't use it, i like the sound that comes straight from the guitar.
I heard that the delay adds a lot to the sound, fills it all in, haven't tried it though, something I definitely should!

At the moment, all the tone comes from fingers, guitar and strings. Smile haha

Heheh I just play with those sliders and knobs on my semi-accoustic.

Can't tell the difference with the little amp that I use anyway. Smile

When you use the delay on acoustic, try setting a very small delay so that you don't hear the 'bouncing' sound. If you can hear 'dah...dah...' when you play a note then your delay is too long (unless you want to achieve that specific effect).

If you're just wanting a bigger sound, go for a very short delay which sounds like 'dada' or even 'dda'.

I tried the chorus with my acoustic exciter this weekend and it sounded awesome! If you're wondering what it sounds like, listen to John Farnham's "Burn for you" and you'll have an idea. But make sure you boost the bass and a little of the mids to get that phat sound! Big Grin

Thanks for the tip Smile
I'd like to try it out, but don't have a delay pedal...... oh wait, I think I do, in that little zoom box! hehe Smile
I'll try it Big Grin

Hey Adam, Let me know how you go ok? Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 19, 2011, 06:26