Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Admission

Hey all,

Just a little admission to make - as of a couple of weeks ago, I have switched to the Dark side!! Big Grin

If you recall, a little while back I was agonising over a new camera purchase - whether to update to the latest model within my existing brand, or step up to a more advanced body, albeit in a different brand. I decided to go with my gut instinct and sold all my Nikon gear for a new Canon 7D with the new 15-85mm lens. Having owned 2 Nikon bodies over a period of 3 years, it wasn't a decision I made lightly but after a couple of weeks of running it in, I have to say that I am absolutely satisfied with the decision.

Anyway, if you're interested in how the Canon 7D performs - here's some (slightly subjective) highlights:

- Lightning fast, accurate autofocus. I really appreciate the speed especially trying to take pictures of my toddler, and most of the time it gets it right. I find that I'm successful at capturing many more shots, when previously, by the time my other camera focussed, my toddler would be off doing something else.

- 8pfs is really handy - again for snapping pics of my toddler and also for people shots.

- The viewfinder is large, bright and clear, and uses new dynamic overlays, instead of the "fixed" ones (e.g. AF points and grid lines). Nikon have been doing this for a while so I'm glad Canon have finally brought it over.

- Just a personal preference - the Canon controls just feel "right" and more "intuitive" compared to Nikons

- Abundance of external buttons, and lots of custom controls to change things they way you like it

Some things I need to get used to:
- It's big and heavy!
- I don't like CF cards
- My wallet has a huge hole in it
- I'll have to slowly build up my kit again

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions on the 7D or the new lens, would be happy to answer a few.

Hey - great news Jules Smile Look forward to seeing some pictures soon.

Canon stuff.

You are dead to me... Big Grin

Toad Wrote:You are dead to me... Big Grin
But totally reborn to me Tongue

Congrats and sympathies...mind you, you were a Canonite before, weren't you Jules?
I started off on Nikon SLRs and have always felt a degree of loyalty to them, until I had to "optically" choose to make my mind up: I can appreciate the angst! My own subjective opinion is that the 7D seems the biz and better bang for buck than the 5D2...welcome back to the fold, as they say!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Happy shooting. Wink I chose Canon originally, because it felt better in my hand than the Nikon.
I used them both a few times before choosing thanks to a couple of kind salesmen. Kind of like a choice of car really.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Toad Wrote:You are dead to me... Big Grin
Haha, sorry old pal! Big Grin

I definitely agree it's pretty much down to a matter of preference - both brands and cameras produce excellent images. Saying that, the 7D is a huge step up though in terms of capability.

Congratulations Jules... Smile and good light to you!

That is a lovely camera...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:Congratulations Jules... Smile and good light to you! .
Haha, that's a good one - gotta remember that. Thanks ! Big Grin