Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Africans

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you could critique this photo. Well two photos actually, but it is stitched together. Brutal opinions are welcomed.

[Image: aFRICANS2.jpg]
Cheers

The first thing that came to my mind when I first saw your pictures was... Why he did it BW? Looking at the pieces I can imagen a beautiful gold or silver color against a contrasting dark colored background.

Come again to the pictures, I see that you have some reflections: dark shadows, lights and highlights, somehow distracting and taking away detail of the pieces. The photographer didn't have the right light. I still don't know if that might be the reason why he converted the pictures in BW.

About the subject this is a picture about somebody else's art. I don't know how the artist would feel about chopping off parts of his masterpiece to fit in a photograph composition. I thought about Leonardo da Vinci, and how he would feel If a photographer took a picture of his Mona Lisa and crops hands and background because they would be distracting or wouldn't fit in his/her portrait composition.

These are my thoughts about your pictures...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Irma.
All great comments greatly appreciated. In regards to the highlights/shaddows do you mainly believe that this is in the photograph on the right or on both pictures?

I think both have their problem Adam, the one in the left has some highlights, and the one of the right has more reflections and shadows.

I want to say that at the beginning I was always so keen on not having anything blown out. I always wanted to have everything with detail. With the time I found that it really doesn't matter much if you have something blown out or in deep shadows, if that helps to have good contrast in your picture, but I don't think it works when they affect your main subject ...

Color and detail are the most important aspects in this kind of pictures, imo.... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne