Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Airport security and travelling with gear

This one got my hackles up - a story shared by an experienced photographer, about going through airport security. The writer is a seasoned traveler, and had published several previous articles on how make the process as painless as possible. Now it appears that they've changed the rules and are now doing a full pat down / "grope" even in the genital area, and in public.

I concede that he had some metal in his joints from previous injuries and would have tripped the scanners to warrant further investigation. But it's quite humiliating to be treated that way in public.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/the-airport-security-grope

The post was more about the ordeal rather and less on packing photographic equipment but is still a good read.

I wonder if our recent travelers (looking at you Matthew, possibly Zig and Kombi) had any similar experiences?

Just over a year since I flew, but had no issues despite packing all my gear and a laptop.

I had no issues on my recent trip, despite flying out from one of the NYC-area airports that had the recent bomb scare. The security line was deserted, I could take my time, and they were mostly concerned that I might not be disclosing a laptop in my business-looking bag. (I was also flying on a business-commuter airline, while wearing a button-down dress shirt.) I was pleasantly surprised to see that the security procedure was as effective as possible with the minimum amount of security theatre that's allowed under the current regulations.

Quote:"… the TSA agent told me that those tests are tripping false positives on nothing but clean clothes."
The experience that I've had flying out of my local major airport has been uniformly and invariably abysmal, and it matches almost word-for-word the accounts that other people I know have had. (Such as those reported on the Luminous Landscape, http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/outrage.shtml) It's bad enough that I avoid flying whenever possible, and go through Toronto's Island Airport whenever it's not. It is still possible to fly with civility and safety, but you'd never know it from the way most places are managed.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Ah, just read this.
No probs at all on my last rip: I was part of a coach party of Christians...which might have raised the odd eyebrow or AK47 had we been going to Mecca, but on a trot across Europe, waved through with laissez-faire. Apart from the French, of course.
However, on previous trips: yes: had to get all my lenses out and show them they were not cunning explosive devices, despite my obvious willingness and transparency about it all. Also, had the "same old same old" prejudice: man with long hair(me) = illegal substance connection = sniffer/scanner things run over my clothes and bags to ascertain if there was a molecule of controlled substance about me.
Sadly though, didn't get a grope around the gentleman-vegetables. Is there no justice?
Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Apparently if you reach the security screening - you have to go through with it, and can't refuse (even if you choose not to fly), otherwise you will risk penalties. You can choose to have a pat down if you don't like the new advanced screening...

More info here:
http://lifehacker.com/5690402/what-you-n...d-gropings

The only hassle I had so far was on my first flight when leaving Australia.
Not only did I need to empty my carry-on luggage completely (all my photography gear and lappy) and wait while they examined every lens which took a good 15 minutes, but then as soon as I finally got it all packed up again another security dude pulled me aside for a pat-down body search. I was annoyed because clearly I had nothing to hide and was being fully cooperative with the bag search, and even if he really did feel the need to do a pat-down then he could have done it while I was waiting for my bag to be searched instead of delaying me another 5 minutes afterwards.

When I entered China at the impressive Guangzhou Airport they had fairly strict security in place, but it was very efficient and not too intrusive. Everyone had to remove their shoes and have body scans by metal detectors, but no touching or x-rays. The 2010 Asian Games were due to begin in Guangzhou just days after I passed through there, so they had reason for increased security.

Apart from that, security has been a breeze for me really. And travelling by train makes it easy. In China before you board a train you just load your bags on a big x-ray machine (no need to open them) and that's it. There wasn't even an x-ray machine in Vietnam.
I still don't get the huge focus on Airport Security. Is flying really that dangerous? How often are planes really terrorist targets? And why aren't trains seen as targets?

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombisaurus Wrote:I still don't get the huge focus on Airport Security. Is flying really that dangerous? How often are planes really terrorist targets?
From http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_the_...index.html

Quote:Here's a scenario:

Middle Eastern terrorists hijack a U.S. jetliner bound for Italy. A two-week drama ensues in which the plane's occupants are split into groups and held hostage in secret locations in Lebanon and Syria.

While this drama is unfolding, another group of terrorists detonates a bomb in the luggage hold of a 747 over the North Atlantic, killing more than 300 people.

Not long afterward, terrorists kill 19 people and wound more than a hundred others in coordinated attacks at European airport ticket counters.

A few months later, a U.S. airliner is bombed over Greece, killing four passengers.

Five months after that, another U.S. airliner is stormed by heavily armed terrorists at the airport in Karachi, Pakistan, killing at least 20 people and wounding 150 more.

Things are quiet for a while, until two years later when a 747 bound for New York is blown up over Europe killing 270 passengers and crew.

Nine months from then, a French airliner en route to Paris is bombed over Africa, killing 170 people from 17 countries.
Time period: 1985 to 1989.

The reality is that air travel is incredibly safe these days, as is almost everything - and I doubt that having less than 3oz of liquid in each individual container is the reason.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I have done a million miles of airline travel over the last 20 years. Its the worst form of transportation - much worse than the bus - but what are the alternatives when you are traveling long distances?

I'm OK with increased security - but the airline have to pony up with a much more pleasant experience to compensate for the unbelievably hateful crap that passes as modern airline travel. I'm sick of being treated like a major irritant when I am spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars with a company. The first airline that delivers *proper* service and that actually appreciates that people hate (with a passion) the airline experience that they are receiving now will dominate the industry...and good riddance of the rest of them. Hey Richard Branson...you could do this thing...

Toad Wrote:The first airline that delivers *proper* service and that actually appreciates that people hate (with a passion) the airline experience that they are receiving now will dominate the industry...
That's a really great idea... I suppose it would have to be commercially viable - would you be willing to pay say, double the price for better service?

Then again, all this security and procedures are implemented by the airport - so even if you had this super-service flight, you'd still need to be poked and prodded on your way there. Big Grin

aye...but I don't think it has to be that expensive. How about giving everybody 2 free drinks (about $1000 bucks max on a jumbo jet), a stand-up comedian to entetain ($500) and some dignity and courtesy (free)?

I have never had any trouble with security at airports etc. You lot must have dodgy/suspicious faces (and long hippy type hair) Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post