Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Am I the only one having trouble with timestamps?

I regularly see weird things with Shuttertalk timestamps.

For example, right now on the "Show new posts" list, I see my new messages about half way down the list, and several messages that are technically older - I read them before I posted mine - showing as much more recent. Some of them are timestamped several hours in the future (from my perspective).

Now I don't believe that I have the clairvoyant ability to read future posts, so to me that means something is wrong with the timestamps.

My profile is set to my correct time zone.

Problem 2: From time to time, I have been unable to post - I will repeatedly get an error message saying that I need to wait 30 seconds between posts. When I look at my previous post, I see that it is timestamped several hours into the future - so naturally the "time of last post + 30 seconds" check fails and I can't post.

Is nobody else having these problems but me?

Just for the record - Irma just PM'ed me about this. She is currently locked out with the same 30 second problem that I reported.

So it isn't just me....Jules?

I was suffering too. though mine said 0 seconds.

Yes - it may be zero seconds - I was not having that problem today so I did not remember the exact wording. Irma said her message said zero seconds as well - so you are surely right,

I've definitely noticed a 30 second warning before.

And I've also noticed a time-stamp thing going on.

Well, anyway I thought I noticed a time stamp thing going on, but then I realized I hadn't ... yet. Big Grin

Sorry, I hit "submit" with the bad pun before I typed this message.

:feeling dizzy:

Hi all... apologies to all with the timestamp problem... I've heard from a few people already regarding this and it seems that it's happening quite frequently across the board.

I still am not sure why / when / how the problem is occurring, but my guess is that the server time is going spastic sometimes - which unfortunately I don't have much control over.

I've already disabled the x seconds between posts flood control, but I don't know why it's still prevent people from posting (0 seconds)....

I'll look at the code to see if I can disable the check ...

Once again apologies to all...

Ok, I've programmatically disabled (read beaten repeatedly into tiny bits) the flood protection check, so please let me know if people are still getting the "please wait 0 seconds between posts" message. Yesterday I also took off (read destroyed beyond all recognition) the counter script which was causing some errors to occasionally appear.

Regarding the clairvoyant show new posts thing - I'll raise a support request with the web host provider to have them look into the server time. In the meantime, if things are playing up again, you can always use the last 20 posts bit at the bottom of the forum index.

Note - I don't think the problem is the timezone in your profile, so you don't have to change it.

Thanks again for your understanding. Smile

Ok, here's the response to my support ticket:

Quote:Hello Julian

I have asked for advice on this one, Here is a copy of my email to the sysop:

I have had two complaints from customers on server xxx that their time bassed software is shot to hell because the time on this server is all over the place, it seems the server when re-booted comes up with times that are incorrect and does not sync its time with the time server so BBS posting times are all over the place and time related crons are falling over.
Is it possible for a cron to run on this server set at say every ten mins to sync the servers time with the time server thus ensuring the time to be correct or can this syncronisation be included in the servers re-boot routine, maybe it is already and its not working? I have just manually re-synced this servers time.

I set all my servers to GMT. There is a button link in whm\'s time section that syncs the time to the time server but the sync process needs to be automated.

Hopefully that fixes things....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 27, 2006, 11:53