Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to Take Good Pictures in 8 Steps

This is the a thread to discuss a new article that has been posted on ShutterTalk here:

How to Take Good Pictures in 8 Steps.

We'd love to hear any additional input you might have!

Excellent article. Like the section on letting your images rest. That IS good advice.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Thanks for sharing the article.

I've never shot RAW. Are the author's comments about RAW up to date or mostly obsolete these days due to big data images and sensor sensitivity. I don't know.

In my opinion raw gives better results, irrespective of the sensor quality. I find there is so much more latitude for processing a raw image than there is a JPEG. I go from raw, to TIFF and only to JPEG for final display. If I print an image (very seldom), I print from TIFF.

(Aug 13, 2016, 06:30)WDHewson Wrote:  Thanks for sharing the article.

I've never shot RAW. Are the author's comments about RAW up to date or mostly obsolete these days due to big data images and sensor sensitivity. I don't know.

Re. the Raw/JPEG debate, I stand by every post I contributed to the following thread:
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/showth...?tid=15805

A good image is a good image, however it is produced, so everyone should feel free to use whichever file format they are happy with. 'To each his own!'

Cheers.
Philip

I did say, "In my opinion".

WD's post asked about raw and my post was a reply to WD.....and to save me having to type similar stuff again! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Great article and may I say it's fantastic to see fresh content going onto the home pages again (4 years and I still wasn't convinced by the Canon review Big Grin)

Totally agree on the letting images rest, I just uploaded images form April.. they are WELL rested Big Grin And seeking critique is something I have always done, others see your images with different eyes and will often find something in images I personally do not find appealing.

I've shot purely RAW files for anything personal for over 8 years, the only time I shoot jpg is for client websites that are going to be used very briefly (used cars on a car dealers website). While jpg can capture images equally well in ideal conditions, I find that rarely are conditions perfect and RAW gives me the extra wiggle room that jpg doesn't.

Helpful tips for taking a good picture, especially "The third law".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post