Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Arctic Models @ 30 below zero !!

Hello from the Arctic in Alaska.. Point Hope Alaska.. .. Barrow Alaska - top of the world. I have some images to share with you that are truely unique, something very few people can record or capture, not only because it is so remote with very few people, but I am going to share an intimacy with these Inupiat Eskimo's that no one can bring you.

Children are what fascinate me the most, to capture them, unawares, in their enviorment, displaying their 'personality'.

Barrow Alaska, this 2 year old girl was mystified when she saw me outside in Barrow, she walked right over frm the house next door, I am perhaps the very first 'white man' she has ever seen, The look of total bewilderment is apparent on her face and expression.

[Image: baby.jpg]

Is that Santa Claus ?? (quite a few children in Point Hope) have 'run' into the house upon seeing me for the first time ( 2 - 3 ) year olds, "playing out", My stomach (3 botched surgeries for a ventral hernia). my huge white beard, I look like the real thing to some of these children !!

And as such this thread will consist of images of people, namely children and other beautiful people of the vast North Slope Region of the GREAT STATE of ALASKA !!

First I want to introduce you to 'Molly Margret Stone" of Point Hope Alaska - The youngest Whaling Captain I have had the pleasure to meet !! she has her very own Whaling Crew for hunting the mighty Bowhead Whale !!

[Image: molly-margret-stone.jpg]

Yes she is very young, she has a well experienced crew, she is the captain, she is the ONE in charge, everyone obeys her commands when hunting !!

You have seen her in 'action' on the other thread,

I am sure you remember this striking image !!
Created in 1989 - Easter Sunday - 9:00 a.m. temperature, a crisp 30 - 40 below zero !!
These children will playout all day long, this is their life, culture / tradition, to grow up to become a successfull Whaling Captain of the mighty Bowhead whale.

We do not kill a whale, we wait for that whale to GIVE itself over to the Captain of its choice, The world doesn't understand our ways, traditions, and beliefs.

[Image: BATHTUB.JPG]

I like the second one very nice, are those bear paws dangling from her neck?
and yes, I remember the last one, very beautiful.
Uli

A claw from any bear is the size of a 'bic' lighter !

[Image: claw-size.JPG]

Those claws she has, are still attached to the 'fur' of a 'wolverine' !

I do not know the reason they keep the claws on the fur when putting in on a parky.

Every home made parky, has a 'hood" (nasaq) the fur on that hood is (Issaqvaq).

for a fancy parky, wolf, fox, polar bear fur are used.

for a hunting parky - wolverine is always used.

Wolf, fox, will keep your face, wet and cold, if, there is wind, blowing snow or rain.

Wolverine will keep your face very warm and dry, no matter how much rain, blowing snow or wet wind is present.

Once wolf is wet, it stays wet, Wolverine on the other hand just requires one shake, and it is dry !

So the fur of choice for hunting parky's or for a child's play parky is always wolverine, it is the most expensive fur available, but it will keep you dry and warm no matter what the weather presents.

[Image: sophieT.jpg]

Seven miles out on the frozen ocean ice pack - 30 below zero - I see this young girl (age 10) sitting on the seat of a snowmachine.

I walked up to her and asked if I could create a portrait of her, She smiled and said yes, Kathy had been seeing me @ her house in the village for many months on almost a daily basis. So she was quite comfortable in front of me. As I brought the camera up to compose a 'striking image' she began to smile. I dropped the camera and said NO ! please - listen. I am not here, you cannot see me, I want you to look right past me and focus in the distance. I am not here. I brought the camera up and waited, took a breath .. yes ! yes ! -=[click]=- !!! I only exposed one frame of film. I already knew, as soon as I saw her sitting there, I knew exactly what I wanted !!

[Image: kathyPC.jpg]

This photograph is our #2 best selling photograph since 1988 - Every year- this image generates.. .. Smile) lots !!

The image above (children in the bathtub chasing a bowhead whale) THAT IMAGE alone.. .. well it is our #1 selling image for over 20 years !!! Every year - that image is #1

I am going to do something - no other photographer in the world would ever dare do !! ha ha ha.. (chuckle) right here, on this forum I grant permission for anyone here. to copy that bathtub photo and print post cards and make $$ for yourself !!! I betcha, your gonna make thousands !!

We sell these here Barrow and all over Alaska for $3 bux each. People scoff them up !! A tip for you. Paper ?? only one type will I use. It is the best and it is 40% cheaper than most major brands Red River Paper co.

Item # 8549

100 sheets of 5 x 7

53 lb. Premium Gloss

less then 20 bux per box = $300 bux in inventory & sales.

I use an Epson 1280; Epson 2200 & Epson 1400 for printing all my post cards !!

Print em up, sell them. the $$ is all yours !!! I guarantee you.. huge smiles !!!

Learn how to market images - it is soo soo easy !!

This thread is for you - so you can learn - make bux and have fun !!

I made my fortune decades ago !!

I have many tens of thousands of images. I only market and sell - 25 - there abouts !!

I have on AVERAGE 130 + COUNTRIES hitting my web site - every month for years!!

You print / sell / market / you keep the $$ for yourself (or what ever else you wish to do).

There is only one catch ( ha ha ha ha ) based on 'honor system' .

You must 'print the backs of these cards with my logo info.

The $$ is all yours to keep from EVERY IMAGE I POST IN THIS THREAD.

have fun - invest a little $$ and make more than ten times what you invest !! This is time tested and proven to work .. .. since 1982 !!!!

[Image: back.jpg]

Here is a special treat to show Another side - of my unique imagination and skills. I have four Eskimo sons. I wanted to create a name for their new business

MarkAndrew, Jesse, Isaiah, Khristopher = MAJIK

Isaiah, MarkAndrew,Jesse, Eves (our last name) = IMAJE

The main reason for this post - is to display a new look& feel to presenting your images in a way maybe perhaps you have not yet seen or heard of. These books were made using a WordPress plugin that is called page flip gallery. You can easily load 500 photos or more into each book you design. I am just beginning to learn how to use this, There are many different types of page layouts including text and links you can place on the pages of these books.

Just use photoshop or any graphix program - create a book cover. - Then bring it to life in Word Press (blogging app). and have fun ENJOY!!

These books actually work, click on the link and the book will open in a new pop-up window. When the book appears; place your mouse on any portion of the right side of the book; CLICK/HOLD & drag your mouse to the left; the book will open and you may now begin to turn the pages back & forth in any direction.

THESE IMAGES are not photographs; they are drawings in 3d

IMAGINE; A coin operated; electric; chess game?? There is no such thing.

IN photography you create images of what you can SEE. In 3d Studio max you create something you cannot see!!

[Image: 3dsmax.jpg]

CLICK HERE TO OPEN THE BOOK

have fun & enjoy - my imagination

[Image: cover.jpg]

CLICK HERE TO OPEN THE BOOK

Always a treat to see your Arctic images. These ones of children are superb.

That gives me an idea for a new book Children of the Arctic;

I will gather all my photos and make a display of hundreds of them that you have never seen!!!

Kids; children are my very favorite subject to photograph.!!

Thanks again Toad for all your wonderful comments !!

Hi dear Majik, I'm ipressed so much by these two 3D books, they are so beautiful, as always how nice to have a little journey through your eyes Smile This is great what you did. Thank you for sharing with us, you opened a new window to me Smile But I should add this too, the children are amazing, you captured them so nicely. Good Luck and my best wishes for you and for your family,

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by StudioJ
Mar 29, 2005, 18:18