Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Asking again

Hi folks.
Could anyone please tell me how to "tile vertically" in CS? For before-after comparisons, I cant cope with horizontal tiling. I tried to make an action to do it, but I'm a total CS newbie, (as you know), having spent years with PSP, and it was a complete disaster. The thing is, that I need to retain the images as independently adjustable, so two on one canvas, or similar ideas, wont work for me.

Ta! Smile

Cave canem

Ruf:

Example: say that you want to vertically tile 2 photos each 10 cm wide and 20 cm tall.

Use the "New" command under the file menu and create a new canvas 40 cm tall by 10 cm wide.

Open photo 1 and use the "select all" command - copy the selection. Now paste it into the new canvas - it will appear in the center - move it to the bottom of the canvas. You will notice that the pasted bit will appear as a new layer that you can manipulate separately all you like.

Do the same thing with photo 2 and move it to the top of the canvas. You will now have 3 layers - the background, photo 1 and photo 2 all on the new canvas. Each layer can be adjusted separately. When you are "done" use the flatten command under the layer menu to make it into one happy layer - or don't - you can always temporarily flatten it and convert to jpeg if you want to print or publish online.

Hint: I always fill the background layer with black rather than the normal transparent color. It makes the seams between the photos not seem as obvious.

just wanna be sure what you mean by vertical. you mean one located above the other on the screen right?

Ah, thank you folks. I probably havent explained adequately....

In PSP, I had two window commands, "tile horizontally" and "tile vertically."

I always used vertical, meaning that the images appeared in two windows, side by side. That way, I found comparing effects, or two similar images taken with different lenses, to be easier. PS only tiles horizontally, as far as I can tell. Somehow, this one-above-the-other tiling just doesnt grok. It results in me dragging images about until I feel comfortable.
I suppose I should just accept it as a limitation of PS, and one of my own neuroses, but I thought there was probably a simple way.
No sweat. Thanks folks!!
Smile

Cave canem

there is no tile vertically in APS CS. Sorry Ruf. However, I think they are adding it with a service pack in the short term.

No one knows why they took it out... they've realised they're wrong... they'll fix it.. til then... sorry.

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

A dual monitor setup, with one stacked on top of the other, would get the job done and make you more productive. Couple of 22" Sony Artisans would be really nice.

I agree with Slej... and can you get two of those setups, I'd like one Smile

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

Why does tile vertically mean side-by-side and horizontal mean one-on-top-another? Isn't that backwards?

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

slejhamer Wrote:A dual monitor setup, with one stacked on top of the other, would get the job done and make you more productive. Couple of 22" Sony Artisans would be really nice.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin