Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assignment #41: Place

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.
- Robert Adams

While traveling lets us see new places, it's also true that people will travel to the place we've left behind in order to photograph it. Wherever you may find yourself, this is a perfect time to look at it again.

While this assignment is a natural place for travel photography, don't forget to include the places that are important to you, show where you're from, or where you are now. It's far more illuminating to re-see what we've forgotten about.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

While traveling US 40 just west of St Louis I saw this interesting arrangement of architectural shapes. At 70 mph it didn't turn out too bad. The Arch tends to contrast with the straight lines of the highway and buildings.

[Image: 061004001ve3.jpg]

Rene

To be heard, you must be seen.

Rene, I like the composition with the girders at the top. I'm hoping that you weren't driving...

A few new ones, enjoying my neighbourhood on a rainy night:

[Image: 26514-pedestrians.jpg]

[Image: 26568-jilly.jpg]

[Image: 26564-chequescashed.jpg]

all of these were taken handheld with my wide-angle zoom.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

"Neagle's Lookout" in the Clare Valley, South Australia. One of my favourite spots when I visit my parents who live in Clare. A short climb brings you to this great rocky lookout...

[Image: IMGP6731edit.jpg]

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

A bird's eye view of where we live, Shoal Bay at Port Stephens

[Image: 10_birdseye.jpg]

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

excellent shots all.......

Rene, I like the composition as well

Matt, I think your shots could have gone in signs also........I really like the last shot

Shane, thats a great shot well worth the climb..........thumbs up

Pat, good to see the bay.....I need to visit again soon

Great shots everyone, it's great to see the world from your home computer!

matthew Wrote:Rene, I like the composition with the girders at the top. I'm hoping that you weren't driving...
Hmm.... isn't that what the little window on the back is for??? No... a friend was piloting this time but I shot over 100 images on that trip, only a few were static shots. I did get some telephone poles too. Surprising how the 20D handled though!

Another one, a gas tank structure just west of the city.

[Image: 011106018wwm0.jpg]

Rene

It's hard to get closer to home than your own backyard... these are a couple of images from last night.

[Image: 26619-antenna.jpg]

[Image: 26589-wires.jpg]

With the telephoto still attached, I took my camera for a walk through a back alley near my work. I'd never gone down this particular street before, but had walked past it dozens of times in each of the last ten years.

[Image: 26639-vent.jpg]

[Image: 26637-bars.jpg]

[Image: 26643-killer.jpg]

Matthew, very nice! I prefer 2 and 3 over the first, I think 3 is my favorite, I like the separation by white balance between outside and inside. Very intriguing shot. uli

The Coal Miners Memorial in West Frankfort, Illinois, USA. This is the town where the worst mine disaster took place in the 1950s, 119 miners lost their lives.

[Image: 93005002webcq7.jpg]

Rene

Here's one I shot from my own bed - showing the first light of the first dawn of the first day of 2007. 60 second exposure using bulb mode and tripod.

So this is the place and the view I always come back to. Big Grin

[Image: 1st-dawn-2007.jpg]

Pol

[Image: 321329955_867cdf07e6_d.jpg]

[Image: 321329619_9311843662_d.jpg]

out in the city =P

Very neat images. Polly, that's a great idea for a way to mark the new year; and Peter, that second image has a really nice structure to it. Rene, it's good to see that the memorial is being maintained and treated with respect.

Here's a rare daylight image from me, taken from a fort which once protected the city from American attack.

[Image: 26844-skyline.jpg]

Even though I love to travel I still love the city I live in! Toronto. Taken at sunset at King and Bay, I get to see these buildings every day as I work right across the street. Thanks for looking.

[Image: first_canadian_place.jpg]

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of." – Ogden Nash

Craig, I like that shot.

It's very odd to come home and look at a photo of a place I was just an hour ago -- I'll often take the King streetcar home from Bathurst.

Good shot Craig. T.O. is definitely a smörgåsbord of photo ops.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

One from today, taken in an abandoned auto body shop less that 500m from my work. I've gone past this building many times on my way to somewhere else, but it's the most interesting place I've been to in ages.

[Image: 27055-downtownauto.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Dec 12, 2016, 17:26