Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BW style

I have been working with this kind of conversion already for few weeks and the more I work with it and look at it the more I like it. It is kind of greenish, hard contrast sometimes even losing detail, and to me it gives a dramatic feeling to the scene.

While I see Zig bw pictures, full of detail and light and a bw conversion more to the plus/right side, which I like very much, btw. I see this one in the other side of the range. So then I think there might be different styles in BW photography.

Here you have two pictures of this kind of post processing I am trying to develop...

[Image: IMG_1115-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2988-Edit.jpg]

My question here is if there is or was a photographer that worked his/her pictures in this way for me to see what he/she did. While I am content with this post processing, I have problems figuring out how to work my mid tones and lights.

If you want to share your thoughts about this post processing or a link to some work of another phtographer that works a similar idea, I would appreciate it very much... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

These look pretty fine to me - virtually Tri-X contrast (if anybody remembers what Tri-X was). I agree that Zig is the best person to give opinions on this - I have no feel for B&W - although I appreciate it when I see it.

In the old days, I used to shoot B&W and I always aspired to this sort of ultra high contrast photo.

At the end of the day, photography is about contrast and needs to appeal to the dark and the light, the good and the evil, the ying and the yang, the ... and the... The contrast in light and in subject are what makes the photos.

Great work Irma - keep pushing the envelope...

Thank you so much Toad... Smile

Yes, I looked for a Tri-X photography and a photographer appeared. Thomas Sullivan, I have seen his pictures and I love them... Smile The best of all is that he like bw in nature. Not many people like this theme in bw but I like it and he is doing nice pictures. I think with the time I will find more photographers with this kind of bw style.

I have also realized that the noise in film and specially bw gives texture to the picture? as if it were more than little spots a fine grain?

I want to develop my own technique and not to leave my post processing to a preset in LR as it is now. I will try with chanel mixer, and add the grain with noise and embose.

Thanks again... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne