Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Baaaaargaaain!

I'm pretty excited that digital SLR prices have been steadily dropping in recent times! For all you know, we might even hit the sub-1000 mark in the Australian market! To think that 300Ds and D70s once retailed for over $2000!

Can you believe these prices from Teds (major camera chain here in Melbourne)

- Pentax *istDs/Sigma 18-50mm Silver Kit
*On Special
Was : $1,399.95
Now : $1,199.95

- Canon EOS 300D/18-55mm Grip Kit
*On Special
Was : $1,799.95
Now : $1,499.95

Someone in the newsgroups was screaming that Pentax must be bringing out a new DSLR because the prices were so low... Big Grin

I am kind of appalled by what you pay for cameras in Australia. We pay more than the US - but nothing like the prices that I see on Australian websites. The Aus $ is almost identical to the Cdn $ as well - so what I see is what the price is.

Do you guys from Australia typically order from the US? I imagine it would be significantly cheaper - even with shipping, duties, and exchange rate.

Thanks... for rubbing it in! Big Grin

Haha just kidding. I suppose North America has such a huge market and buying power that they probably can negotiate much lower prices. Our volume of sales would be tiny compared to the US or Canada.

Regarding buying from the US - yes, some do, although there's a chance you'll get hit with import tax, so it may not be so cheap after all.

What sort of prices are you talking about?

Prices here are naughty.
I just got my tripod from Singapore yesterday.

For the price I got the legs and head, here, I can't even buy the legs alone!

This doesn't include the flight.

That's a good price for the ist Ds. Smile

But distributor and retail margins have been hit hard and everyone in the photo trade is feeling it.

Jules got it right with his comments on buying power. We are a small market and it's flooded with gear. Traditional brands like Canon, Nikon, Ricoh are struggling against the likes of HP, Sony and the new breed of camera phones.

There's lots of growth in the market, but unfortunately bumper sales dont mean profits or job security at the moment.

As for Pentax releasing an upgrade DSLR....Maybe, but DSLR seem to have a longer shelf life than the point and shoots. At the price Ted's are selling at both C R Kennedys and Teds are making a few dollars.

I'd say Ted' are trying to grab market share and once they have you in store they'll make a few more dollars on Batteries, cards and printing. Remember that each camera Ted's sell is one less that Michaels or Camera House will sell.

It's tough out there.

I paid AU$1,499 for my Ds with 18-50mm and 55-200mm Sigma DC lenses so I am still pretty happy with that, Fletchers also through in a bag and rounded down a fair bit on a set of batteries and a number of filters. Ted's also only does an extra one year warranty, Fletchers does up to an extra four years.

I just wish they would sell the Pentax lenses here at a more reasonable price. Kennedy's has a lot to answer for. Trying to get a 18-55mm DA Pentax lens through Ebay, they are around $250-300 new but through Ebay I have seen them go for less than US$100. I have the 18-50mm Sigma but from what I gather the Pentax is better and has rear focusing so using with polarising filter should be better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I'd be happy with that too. I paid about $1480 for my istDs body with a Tokina 28-70mm 2.8 and Tokina 19-35mm 3.5-4.5.

I have a Sigma EF-430ST flash unit that I bought with my MZ-50 a few years ago. It seems to work ok, but I'm yet to give it a good workout.

So far it's all been good, although the results have been slightly contrasty in bright light. Nothing too dramatic that a fill flash would not have fixed.

I have the Pentax 400FTZ flash, dated a bit but it does TTL, zoom, etc and is plenty powerful for big/huge areas. Would like a 360FGZ or 500 series but they are pretty pricey for someone on a budget like me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein