Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Back to basics

I've often been tempted to go back to basics - by picking up a basic fixed focus compact digital camera, like say, a Canon A200. No zoom, no fancy settings to deal with - just compose and shoot, sort of akin to going out shooting with just one prime lens. I think it could be fun, and you could start working out those brain muscles again in terms of composition and thinking about the scene.

What do you think? Has that thought ever crossed your mind? Worthwhile exercise? Or will I be disappointed? Big Grin

I have a fixed lens Kodak, the quality of the lens is terrible, the pictures are horribly soft. That saif my original Kodak Digital back in 98 took wonderfully sharp pictures.

I hate not having a zoom now.

Try film if you want to go back to basics. It will force you to focus harder - when you can't immediately see whether you made an error and reshoot.

I bought my first Film SLR 3-4 weeks ago Smile I got back my first roll of film today.... and I am pleasantly surprised, there are quite a few keepers from the first roll Smile

Well done, Craig! Big Grin

Now where's the delete button on the film camera? Big Grin

Let's play pinhole camera!

I've seen outings on other forums where they go out with only one roll of film and a prime lens on their camera Smile I guess trying to force you to make the most of what you've got?
Or maybe it'll make you appreciate your gear more Smile

ST: I don't know, and I am having a devil of a job getting my card reader to read this micro thin flexible memory card... it's nearly 3 feets long!

Adam: I was talking with one of my co-workers who has been a salon competition photographer for over 40 years and he did a photography course a long time ago:-

they were sent out with their camera and a prime lens and told to go,
find a spot and stand still
don't move your feet
shoot an entire roll of film and get 36 different pictures.

Now I guess that makes you creative.

EnglishBob Wrote:Adam: I was talking with one of my co-workers who has been a salon competition photographer for over 40 years and he did a photography course a long time ago:-

they were sent out with their camera and a prime lens and told to go,
find a spot and stand still
don't move your feet
shoot an entire roll of film and get 36 different pictures.

Cool idea for an assignment ... I think SJ suggested something like that a while ago.

One focal length, one location, 10 different shots. What say you?

Hey in one of my photo classes we had an exercise like that, except we were allowed to take 25 steps in between each photo. It was really, really fun and I came up with a lot of good shots.

Personally however, I think often times it's quite folly to limit one's self in too strict a matter. Personally I find the focal lengths of 35-50mm to be the most boring and hard to work with focal lengths. That doesn't mean that sometimes 35 or 50mm is exactly what I need for the job, I'm just saying that quite often I just need 17mm, or 600mm to get what I want, what I see. It's no sin to use those focal lengths, they're made (and they're expensive) for a reason.

That said, I'm a firm believer in shooting a roll of slides every 1-2 weeks; it is incredible "back to the basics" practice and it really helps improve technique, let alone patience and prudence etc. etc...

-Matt-

"It's not what you look at, it's what you see..."
http://www.matthewsaville.com

sounds like a great idea for a photo assignment Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

After reading Toads post I got to thinking and was pondering a question. With digital being the most widely used format to shoot with a camera these days could it be a good learning tool for people who would want to go back to film? I mean, after shooting digital for so long and being able to see the instant results and faster processing times, it is like learning by trial and error. After time you would think that maybe people would want to expand on their hobby and move to film feeling more comfortable knowing that the images are going to turn out. But then again, maybe not.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Digital is just so much easier than film to shoot - it is hard to actually expect anyone to do that unless they have a vested interest. I started shooting film again because high quality slides are what most Stock houses want. Now that I have shot it for a while, it is easy to see why.

But my heart is still with digital - I don't experiment with film and its too hard to post process.

Welcome back Matthew Saville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was Digital that has helped me improve the most, but I love the slides I have gotten back, now I carry two camera's everywhere I go!

Hey! I didn't even notice until I saw Adam's post. You going to hang for a while Matty? Good to see your presence again. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Ah the prodigal son returns! Good to see you again Matt! What have you been up to? Big Grin

slejhamer Wrote:Cool idea for an assignment ... I think SJ suggested something like that a while ago.

One focal length, one location, 10 different shots. What say you?

Hold that thought.... or remind me if I forget. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Freeman
Jan 13, 2015, 13:38