Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bags

What do people think about Thinktank or Crumbler shoulder bags? too purselike? worth their price for a medium rangefinder?

Looking at Thinktank Retrospective 10

I have the Retrospective 5 for my micro 4/3 stuff and it is the best bag I have bought - use it all the time and is great as a travel bag on the plane along with your normal carry on.

Canon stuff.

The Retrospective series looks awesome - thanks for sharing... might look into it, possibly for future reviews!

What are the standout features about it?Big Grin

I've seen the Think Tank Retrospective series, and like it a lot. Conversely, I own a Crumpler bag, and am not a huge fan of it. Beautifully built, but so heavily padded that it hold remarkably little – far more than light cameras need.

But yes, the small bags can look a little like purses…

My personal favourite is the Billingham Hadley; I adore the Pro but the Small will also hold mid-size rangefinder kit.
http://www.thewsreviews.com/2010/02/bill...y-pro.html
http://www.thewsreviews.com/2011/02/bill...-year.html

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I love my retrospective because:

Best manufactured bag I have ever bought.

Fits my Micro 4/3 gear, my Bible, notebook, sunglasses, headphones, charger, Passport, wallet, phone and half a dozen other little things and slings over my shoulder perfectly for travel anywhere.

Looks great.

Does not look like a purse or manbag Smile

Canon stuff.

The TTP Retro bags are probably the best shoulder bags that have ever been made. Tardis-like interior space, tons of well thought out pockets, great strap that's mounted just right so that the bag doesn't hang crooked, excellent build quality, and they look as nondescript as a packed camera bag can.

Crumpler, on the other hand, sucks. I used one heavily for a few months while shooting for a student paper and it made me swear the brand off. Stiff, heavy fabric, which isn't waterproof in the least. Fiddly latches. No back pocket for documents, and the only good storage place for small accessories is inside the flap and will dump them all out if you forget to zip it, plus it makes stuff like flash cords smack your gear when you open and close it. Way too much velcro, and it's so strong that it didn't take long for the fishnet pocket inside the big front pocket to start fraying from the strain of opening and closing it. Oh, and they hang crooked and rub the crap out of your side, and they can't stand up on the floor when you put them down loaded. Just terrible bags for serious use. Their backpacks seem kinda okay though.

I agree totally with your Crumpler comments - though my laptop crumpler backpack is great - hardly any velcro Smile

Canon stuff.

From my experience with the Sinking Barge Backpack... yes there is probably way too much padding and I was shocked when I looked inside for the first time. Big Grin

That said they're made in Melbourne and I admire their funky brand and vibe. They used to be "hip" when no one knew about them, now they're pretty commonplace...

What are peoples' opinions for bags that hold laptop + camera?

I already have a Timbuk2 classic messenger in medium that I put some inserts in & used when I carried a 13" laptop & a DSLR with a huge lens. But now I carry a smaller 12" laptop & have sold the DSLR so am more likely to carry a rangefinder & maybe a TLR. The Timbuk2 is far too big & I've been looking for alternatives.

The Domke F802 looks nice, but I'm not sure whether there is space behind the divider for a laptop?

I don't usually carry a laptop on the road. I have a small eeepc that I use when traveling, and it doesn't really require its own bag - so basically I just carry a camera bag.

(Mar 8, 2012, 08:41)lcburns Wrote:  What are peoples' opinions for bags that hold laptop + camera?

I already have a Timbuk2 classic messenger in medium that I put some inserts in & used when I carried a 13" laptop & a DSLR with a huge lens. But now I carry a smaller 12" laptop & have sold the DSLR so am more likely to carry a rangefinder & maybe a TLR. The Timbuk2 is far too big & I've been looking for alternatives.

The Domke F802 looks nice, but I'm not sure whether there is space behind the divider for a laptop?

Thread hijack?! Angry

Big Grin

I own quite a few bags. I have a Crumpler laptop bag, a Timkuk2 messenger bag, a few other bags by miscellaneous manufacturers, and several bags by Kata.

9 days out of 10, I use a Kata bag (typically a modified AP-321). I have a bunch of reviews of them on this site if you are interested. Check the home page.

I use a billingham hadley pro and have a lenovo x220. Fits perfectly behind the camera padding and can fit my bessa r4m with a voigtlander 21mm f/4 in one of the three sections in the camera pad. I imagine it can fit the bessa and an m2 + 1-2 extra lenses pretty easy.

I have loads and rather than try to note them all down, I will someday photograph them and post on here.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Mar 14, 2012, 11:34)J0nes Wrote:  I use a billingham hadley pro and have a lenovo x220. Fits perfectly behind the camera padding and can fit my bessa r4m with a voigtlander 21mm f/4 in one of the three sections in the camera pad. I imagine it can fit the bessa and an m2 + 1-2 extra lenses pretty easy.

I don't like the style of Billingham bags, I know it's meant to be a 'timeless classic' but I just really don't like the leather trim along the edges. I know I'm being vain, but if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a bag I want to like its looks as well as its functionality.

Just on the Think Tank Retrospective - they've just launched a new model - the Retrospective 7, which includes a storage compartment for an iPad or 11" Macbook Air.

Looks very sexy! I'll be getting one to review as soon they have them in stock at their warehouse - really looking forward to it! Big Grin

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/04/new...camera-bag

I've liked the Retrospective series for some time now, and one to fit an 11" Macbook Air would be very interesting. My Hadley Pro can do that too, but it's not designed for it, so having a bag that could carry it as well as cameras and lenses would be appealing.

I've recently been looking at the Kata "Access" series. I'm biased against 'holster' bags, but these have impressed me with their side pockets that make good use of space and can hold a surprising amount. I could see one of these in my middle-to-distant future.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

The Kata Access series looks interesting.... Rob, care to comment? Big Grin Big Grin

I'm not usually a fan of holster type bags, but I think it might be ok in conjunction with the shoulder strap.

Zounds...I'm being deficient in my duties to not have a comment here. I'll check it out and get back with a comment.

(Apr 22, 2012, 20:29)Toad Wrote:  Zounds...I'm being deficient in my duties to not have a comment here. I'll check it out and get back with a comment.

Haha, have you checked your user title recently? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by a2zidxdotcom
Mar 30, 2014, 03:50
Last Post by spareno
Sep 4, 2013, 08:14