Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Banged up but still standing

Recived a 135/2 ais today, condition is as far from mint you can get, cosmetic wise(body) The optic is more or less clean, 1 dust spec and 2 hairline marks after inspection.

The aperture ring is "clicks" and works nicely, the focus ring is smooth and works perfectly. The buildt in hood is bent but works... lol
It looks like someone used it as a grinder..Big Grin

[Image: 135_2_ais_1.jpg]

[Image: 135_2_ais_2.jpg]

It seems to perform supringsly well even wide open.

Havent had much time today, iv just snapped a couple of frames with it inside the house. Will put it thru it paces this weekend hopefully.

Here are 2 snaps
Sharpening 0 in camera, none applied in post, other then resizing.

D2X
135mm/2 AIS
Iso:800
Shutter:1/160s
Aperture:F/2
[Image: jemima_135_1.jpg]

D2X
135mm/2 AIS
Iso:400
Shutter:1/60s
Aperture:F/2
[Image: zack_135_1.jpg]

Thus far i like what i see, and i look forward using it for some real portraits.

I have another 135mm/2 ais coming in next week, its in mint condition. Cant see its been used. Ill post a comparison pic when i get it.Big Grin

Kindest

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Wow... that lens will give you some street cred' with the photojournalist crowd. Big Grin Any lens that's in that shape deserves a certain admiration.

The photos are fantastic, too.

Can I ask why you're getting a pair of them?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Looks like a great catch! Big Grin

matthew Wrote:Wow... that lens will give you some street cred' with the photojournalist crowd. Big Grin Any lens that's in that shape deserves a certain admiration.

The photos are fantastic, too.

Can I ask why you're getting a pair of them?
Thanx Matthew.

Yes the lens must have a great history.. would be really interesting to know it.

Well i was looking for this lens 135mm/2 ais, since i dont want a af lens, and i really dislike Nikons DC features on their 105/2 and their 135/2.

First i found this one, wich works optically but the focus ring (rubber) is starting to fall off, and the buildt in hood is far from optimal. So just the day after i wont the auction on ebay i found a nother one. Just that this one is "like new" a filter has been used all the time and you can barely see its used. So i snagged that one aswell (shipped todau from the states).

My only usage will be portraits with this lens. My longest lens (before this one) is Zeiss 100/2 so i think this lens complement my portrait set really well. ZF 50/1,4 ZF 85/1,4 ZF 100/2 135/2 ais.

Well it was a fair deal, if you take into account how it performs optically. I paid 250usd. For the other one i paid 460usd.

Thanx for looking.

great lense for portraits it seems!
you and your children have great talent for this kind of photography.

What's the crop factor on the D2X?

Uli

Thanks, I thought eBay might be involved. Good catch for both of them.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

so banged up! It's got it's own character on the outside Tongue
the outside look doesn't matter when you get images like the ones you've shown! nice!

Thanx Adam!

I just got my new copy of this lens. A very nice suprise was that it was more or less new. it came with the original box and manual. There is no indication or sign that this lens even been mounted on a camera! so needless to say im very happy with my deal.

The diffrence in cosmetic is like night and day, the hood works as intended lol and the aperture ring is much smoother (not that the old one is bad, its just this one feels like new) And of offcourse the glass is like brand new, no dust inside or any marks whatsoever.

The image quality seems to be at least on pair, havent had time to compare them yet.

It seems the coating is diffrent (judging from the pictures)

Anyways here is 2 comparison snaps.

[Image: new_old.jpg]

[Image: new_old_1.jpg]

Here is one of the new

[Image: new_135_1.jpg]

And two first snaps to confirm it works :-)

In camera sharpening set to 0, and no additional sharpening applied in post, other then resized. Both shot @ F/2.

Jemima

[Image: jemima_135b_2.jpg]

Zack

[Image: zack_135_4.jpg]

Yup, that lens works, too. It's amazing to see the difference between the two, physically. The skewed focusing ring on the old one is worth a chuckle.

Those are stunning shots. It looks like you've just missed the focus on Zack (his eyebrow is shaper than his eyelash) but if I was pulling off photos like that I'd sell my cameras and retire in order to maintain my reputation. And can I just point out (again) how grossly unfair it is that everyone you know is so incredibly good-looking? Big Grin

Thanx Matthew, yes cute subjects always helps.Big Grin

Im really pleased to get this lens in such a excellent condition, i would gladly pay the same price for this one as the new af version goes for (135/2 DC) Since im allergic to Nikons DC lenses and the manual focus is terrible with them.

Yes i missed the focus a little, he moved his head just when i pressed the shutter.Rolleyes

Here is the shot the nano second after.Big Grin

[Image: zack_135_5.jpg]

Much better. Damn.
Big Grin

Yea im not sure why i picked the first shot?, now after looking at them its just distracting with the hand...RolleyesTongue

Now, that's a lens; cool to get the 2. The 1st looks as if it did the Vietnam tour with Don McCullen...if only they could talk...!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Uli
Im sorry i missed your question

The D2X has a crop factor of 1.5 so the fov becomes 202mm