Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bangkok Life
Wink 

I had to come to Bangkok for a fortnight recently (I'm still here), and I left my 5D Mark III at home and brought my new Olympus EM5 along instead.
This is a fantastic trip to get aquainted with it, and a fantastic city for exploring and street shooting.

As well as the colour images below, I have a blog entry with a heap of b/w images and a quick "first impressions" review of the experience of street shooting with the EM5. Here is the Blog Entry (http://www.broughtonphoto.com.au/?p=1355)

Click an image to view it larger.

[Image: i-Q7mnN9N-S.jpg] [Image: i-9v3QJvk-S.jpg]
1. (left) Zooming through the back-streets in a tuk-tuk. 2. (right) Daily life.

[Image: i-GDSZHHT-S.jpg] [Image: i-dRb55Sv-S.jpg]
3. (left) Day-dreaming on the bus ride home. 4. (right) Clothing alteration on the street.

[Image: i-p45T9Qd-S.jpg] [Image: i-k9BQTsC-S.jpg]
5. (left) Fishmongers preparing for a fish delivery. 6. (right) Some inner-city shops/homes.

[Image: i-5Qb8K8X-S.jpg] [Image: i-9TWXLZK-S.jpg]
7. (left) After the daily afternoon downpour. 8. (right) A shopper's paradise.

[Image: i-6MqnW6P-S.jpg] [Image: i-RVhwHWS-S.jpg]
9. Punters being lured into clubs on Soi Cowboy. 10. Go-go dancers in one of Bangkok's infamous red-light districts.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Brilliant work. A real treat. #1 is my fav.

[edit] I have been really impressed by what I have seen of the OM-D. This confirms that yet again. Looks like the pick to click.

These are wonderful.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Awesome photos. I really like the way that they hold together as a set, with consistent treatment despite the diversity of subjects and colours.

Seeing the photos on your blog adds a whole new layer. But I have to confess that, as good as the monochrome photos are, the set you posted here has me hooked on the colour. Very, very impressive body of work.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Don and Matt.

Matt, I agree with you about the b/w versus colour. I've been playing around with different treatments to try to somehow express some of those things a photo can't easily capture about a city such as the heat, humidity, pulse, sense of chaos, vibrance, and unmistakable south-east-Asian vibe of Bangkok. It's still a work in progress though.

Adrian Broughton

oo.. and sorry Toad I didn't mean to miss you out! Thanks to you too! Smile

I have to say that after loving the GF1, I never really fell in love with the GX1 when I bought it, which was a bit of a surprise to me. All that changed with the OM-D though, I'm seriously loving this little camera system.
I even splashed out on the tiny Olympus FL-300R external flash. It's not all that powerful, but the cool thing is that it can be a remote slave to the OM-D's internal flash with full TTL metering and control via camera menus (similar to Canon's E-TTL optical wireless system). So now I have a full-TTL wireless lighting system that requires just 2 AAA batteries and takes about as much bag-space as a mobile phone. I can take it everywhere for those "what if..." impromptu portrait moments. Simply amazing.

Adrian Broughton

These look fantastic! I love your photos!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 24, 2017, 18:39