Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Basking in the Sun

[Image: normal_wings.jpg]

So yesterday morning I was driving by the dike near my house, when I came across this bird. We haven't had sun in a while, and this was probably the first morning of sun in a while. As I watched this bird for the next 5-10 minutes, every min or so, he would spread his wings wide open, then close them up again. Kinda like he was sunbathing, or drying himself in the sun.

It was quite spectacular to see and I thank myself for bringing my camera with me this morning. I took a few pictures, but this was just one of many.

ISO 400, f/22, 1/250 AWB and VERY small amount of PS.

Canon 20D: 17-85 IS, 50/1.8
Fuji S5000: DCR-250, DCR-720

Thats a cormorant. It is drying its wings too. I posted a shot from the Fraser a year ago. Can't seem to find it. Were you able to get any shots today seeing how it was sunny for a while?

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Petographer Wrote:Thats a cormorant. It is drying its wings too. I posted a shot from the Fraser a year ago. Can't seem to find it. Were you able to get any shots today seeing how it was sunny for a while?
Thanks for the reply, and info on the bird.

Nah, I wasn't able to get out today. I work right next to the dike, and yesterday I happened to have to go on some errands for work, so I took my camera along, and took the 'scenic' route on my errands Wink

I got a few more of the cormorant from various angles and settings as I was just playing around with my camera. Man, makes me wish I had a 70-200L f/4 (or if i'm really dreaming, the 2.8 IS version Cool)

Canon 20D: 17-85 IS, 50/1.8
Fuji S5000: DCR-250, DCR-720