Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Batteries dead?

I got the shock of my life today. Ok, so I exaggerate a bit, but I met up with Adam tonight as he was in town, and we went out for dinner and a photo excursion. Halfway I decided to pull out my SB600 flashgun, and my heart stopped when it wouldn't turn on! I charged my batteries the night before, as I usually do before an important shoot - so I was praying that my SB600 hadn't decided to pack it in.

Anyway, I just got home before and put in some non-rechargable alkalines, and it turned on fine. Phew!

Anyone experience that before? I'm thinking either I must have not inserted the batteries properly into the charger, or maybe one or more have finally given up the ghost. I've had them for a few years now. Anyway, I'm charging them again tonight, and I'll know tomorrow what the story is...

Mine quit like that after about 3 years. Were okay one use, recharged and dead as a dodo the next day

I have had lots of rechargeable batteries for different devices that stopped accepting a charge after a few years - usually they give you some warning though such as gradually decreasing charge durations...

Yay, my batteries seem to be fine now. The SB600 works, and yeah, no need to buy a new set of batteries. Happy now! Big Grin

I have had the same problem, I just bought a lot of them so there are always some ready to use.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

My grand daughter got a kids camera for Christmas and they bought rechargeables for it (AAA), needless to say with new, freshly charged NiMH batteries it failed to turn on. A set of alkalines, used, taken from a toy worked like a charm?????

Rene

To be heard, you must be seen.

My flash did this trick to me on Sunday, when I was out photographing the Chinese railway workers memorial. I had used the flash a bit a few days earlier, but it came on with only a faint LCD screen before flickering out entirely. There should have been plenty of charge left, but that was the problem. Shooting in cold conditions (it was -10 Celsius) made this even worse.

I had dropped this flash a couple of months earlier, so now any little hiccup makes me think it's departed.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Guess what? My batteries did it again... guess it's kicked the bucket.

I went out and bought a new set of 2650 NIMHs... Big Grin

Silly me - I should have tested the batteries with a volt-meter or something. It turns out, it's actually the charger that's at fault - all my batteries are flat after charging them... Sad

Time for a new charger, methinks - any recommendations?

The one I use is made by monster:-

http://www.powersystemsdirect.com/Monste...RC_380.php

I picked up a Grandcell one - 2 hour* rapid charger... it was the most affordable rapid charger one there. The others only had the normal 14 hour chargers at the same price. It's nice and compact too (i.e. no cords and huge adapter)...

*2 hours for 2 batteries, 4 hours for 4 batteries... Big Grin

[Image: DSC_8305.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Margo
Dec 27, 2013, 18:26