Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Battery Grip

Anyone use a battery grip with their SLR? Do you find it necessary, or will a couple of spare batteries suffice?

I don't use one; I carry a spare battery in my camera bag;
However, a nice feature of the battery grip is the vertical grip.

One was included with my camera as part of a package deal. I sold it a year later (for almost full value.)

One battery in-camera gets me 200 RAW shots on a charge, even with a lot of chimping, reviewing, re-reviewing, etc. And I carry 3 charged batteries in my backpack - it's no big deal to swap.

And I found that I rarely used the vertical shutter release - I'd just hold the camera normally and flip it with my hand up top.

With the added weight and dubious benefits (for me, anyway), I couldn't justify keeping it.

I think with some of the higher end SLRs, using a battery grip allows higher FPS rates. Is that the case with the lower end ones as well?

I don't have a battery grip, and so have never tried the vertical shutter release; it just looked like something handy Smile hehe; I also read that some people prefer the extra weight when using large lenses? Did you feel the same?

Well my "heaviest" lens is the 70-200 f/4, which I find to be very well balanced with the 10D sans the grip. With a heavier lens it might make a difference.

shuttertalk Wrote:I think with some of the higher end SLRs, using a battery grip allows higher FPS rates. Is that the case with the lower end ones as well?

I've never heard of such a thing and am not sure how that is possible. Aside from that, I'm pretty much with Mitch on this. I get a lot of shots from a batter and when the need to change comes it takes mere seconds to swap out the battery. I certainly don't want the added weight. The only thing I can see it good for is maing a d-rebel look more pro and I can't justify that.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

As you know I have the *ist Ds and the standard grip is fairliy compact, normally this is great but I shot a lot of photo's the other weekend at a rock climbing competition and after about 3 hours and around 120 shots and probably another 300 shots that I framed and never took I was thinking that a larger grip would be an advantage under those sort of circumstances as my hand was a little stiff.

I have a 24cm hand span from thumb tip to my longest finger so I am thinking that is fairly normal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I've thought about one, but figure there is enough weight already! And as for the vertical release, I doubt I would use it much, as 90% of the time when the camera is on the tripod I use a cable release.

Off topic a little: does anyone use a tripod mount on their longer lenses? I was thinking about getting one for the 70-200, but it's ridiculously expensive.

I don't have a lens that warrants one, but once I get either the Sigma 50-500 or the cannon 100-400 you can bet I will.

I think both these lenses come with tripod mounts as standard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Apr 1, 2012, 17:57