Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best Customer Service Experiences?

Have you bought something which didn't live up to expectations or broke through no fault of your own? What were your experiences like on getting the matter resolved? Were there any experiences that stick out in your mind, where they went above the call of duty to make sure you were satisfied?

On the other side of the coin, have you experienced anything shockingly bad?

I know this is a pretty broad topic so I'll welcome any experiences with great and helpful salespersons as well...

For me, it's non photography related but I was blown away with Amazon's customer service on two occasions. I bought a Kindle and cover, and both developed defects at different times. Each time, the CSRs were really polite and without any fuss, immediately sent out replacements free of charge - and that's all the way to Australia. With the Kindle, they included free return packaging and courier pickup for the defective unit; and with the cover, they said to keep it! They probably made a loss on the transaction but they've gained a customer for life.

How is it in the photography world? Share your stories!

Sigma, when I bought my 50D the Sigma flash I had would not work with it, after talking with with Sigma they gave me an address to ship it too, and updated the firmware.

Told me it would be 6-8 weeks to return, had it back in 11 days.

The most appalling product I've ever owned is my Asko combination washer-dryer. It has had all of its electronics replaced twice, had the dryer belt and drivetrain fixed three times, the internal hot air ducting replaced, and the water pump assembly needed to be swapped when its impeller broke off. It's not quite five years old – and now the electronic controls aren't quite working correctly again.

I have the repair company on speed-dial (they're great) and not only do I know the two techs that fix this particular model by name, I know which days they work in my area and what their personal strengths and weaknesses are. When they arrive at my condo they still remember where the washer is. And when they leave it's never "goodbye," it's always "see you later."

I know now that this particular unit is made under contract by someone else, and is inferior to the genuine Asko machines. But it has their name on it, they approved it, they sold it, and there's no way for me to tell which of their products I can trust, so I am genuinely, honestly, absolutely never buying anything else with their name on it ever again.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I'm going through a little customer service fiasco of my own right now. My mobile phone provider, who will remain nameless (cough Fido cough), is trying to hold me to ransom at the end of my contract. I had a 2 year contract with them which ends in 3 days. Yesterday, I ported my phone number to Virgin Mobile, and get this...Fido is charging me a $100 penalty for cancelling my contract ahead of time - even though my account is completely paid until the end of the contract term (in 3 days) and I gave them the required 30 days notice of my intent to port the number.

To my way of thinking, this is equivalent to me renting an apartment, paying rent to the end of the lease and having to pay $100 if I move out a few days early. I understand that they don't want me to change providers, but this is ridiculous.

Amazon is very good. The problems lie with a few of the traders that use Amazon. It is like a cooperative with lots of traders. Same with Paypal for paying. There is always a few sharks about.

Most of my purchases have been good ones.
Bad ones-
Only one from Amazon (among many good to excellent ones) was terrible. It was for two radiator keys. they sent me a wrong one worth around 1/4 of the price, so I informed them directly - and via Amazon. They said another was in the post, a few days later coming via Yodel, a few more days and again by a carrier. Eventually Amazon got them to refund my £2.70 (hardly worth chasing) and then I returned the wrong item.
Canon recommended service centre Lehmann (UK). Won't go there again.

Good one-
Wednesday (During the night) this week I ordered two Glass and chrome stands. They arrived today by local Carrier. Company was TVsolutions. Tracking number for carrier, and 4 emails between order and delivery.
Rosetta Trading was good too. Flairhair Fun Hats.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

As you age and your time is less important, not having to work for a living, then you can chase small items which you would otherwise say it's not worth spending the time on it.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Apr 4, 2012, 18:40)matthew Wrote:  The most appalling product I've ever owned is my Asko combination washer-dryer.

I've had an Asko dish washer for a few years now... no problems yet, touch wood... Big Grin

(Apr 5, 2012, 00:17)Toad Wrote:  To my way of thinking, this is equivalent to me renting an apartment, paying rent to the end of the lease and having to pay $100 if I move out a few days early. I understand that they don't want me to change providers, but this is ridiculous.

That's pretty appalling, although I wouldn't put it past them. Here as well the phone providers are so cost conscious as well it's actually incredulous that things such as "customer loyalty" and "customer service" are like foreign concepts to them.

(Apr 5, 2012, 19:18)NT73 Wrote:  As you age and your time is less important, not having to work for a living, then you can chase small items which you would otherwise say it's not worth spending the time on it.

Ha ha - I wouldn't say your time is less important, just that you have a lot more of it available to use at your own pleasure. Big Grin

(Apr 7, 2012, 05:31)shuttertalk Wrote:  Ha ha - I wouldn't say your time is less important, just that you have a lot more of it available to use at your own pleasure. Big Grin

Well you don't know how much time you are gonna get, from him upstairs. Confused

Meanwhile where does Black Rapid come in the reviews. Blush

Lumix LX5.

NT73 Wrote:Meanwhile where does Black Rapid come in the reviews. Blush

Hey I followed up again on Thursday and this is what they said....

Quote:I'm sorry to hear that. International shipping can take at least 5 weeks due to customs and as many as 9! I'll follow up best I can tomorrow and see if I can get a status.

Really sorry about that - I promise one way or another you'll get your prize. I'll see what they come back with and I'll decide what to do from there.

(Apr 7, 2012, 20:24)shuttertalk Wrote:  Hey I followed up again on Thursday and this is what they said....

Quote:I'm sorry to hear that. International shipping can take at least 5 weeks due to customs and as many as 9! I'll follow up best I can tomorrow and see if I can get a status.

Really sorry about that - I promise one way or another you'll get your prize. I'll see what they come back with and I'll decide what to do from there.

Thanks Jules. I would have thought 9 weeks in this day and age is kind of over the top for a packet. Unless it is in a shipment of cameras from China. Big Grin Imagine if the Formula 1 cars took that long going through customs.
I am not blaming anyone. I will just bite my lip till it arrives. Angel

Lumix LX5.

Yeah seems a bit excessive to me too seeing you can get stuff posted by B&H or Amazon on a Friday and get it over here on Monday. I suppose it depends on which method they used...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by matthew
Aug 10, 2012, 14:59