Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best inexpensive used DLSR model for college class

My daughter is taking a photo class this summer and needs an adjustable DSLR. Believe it or not, I've never owned one (it's all about post-processing and plug-ins for me)!

I have a local used camera store that told me via email they have a selection of used Canon and Nikon equipment (both with 18-55 zoom included) for between $250-350 and do some repairs on site. B&H also has a nice selection, but they are 3000 miles away and all that comes with that.

I haven't gotten an exact store inventory list and haven't gone over to look in person yet, but I would appreciate comments about what models to seek out and which to avoid, and why.

Also, would a micro four-thirds camera pass the "manual adjustment for class" test? Since we are going to keep the camera after the class I would personally prefer the smaller model that I assume is better than the prosumer Nikon Coolpix I already use, and my daughter would probably prefer the smaller size as well.

Thanks in advance!

DIGITAL IMAGING BLOG
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

(May 20, 2014, 13:49)plugsnpixels Wrote:  My daughter is taking a photo class this summer and needs an adjustable DSLR. Believe it or not, I've never owned one (it's all about post-processing and plug-ins for me)!

I have a local used camera store that told me via email they have a selection of used Canon and Nikon equipment (both with 18-55 zoom included) for between $250-350 and do some repairs on site. B&H also has a nice selection, but they are 3000 miles away and all that comes with that.

I haven't gotten an exact store inventory list and haven't gone over to look in person yet, but I would appreciate comments about what models to seek out and which to avoid, and why.

Also, would a micro four-thirds camera pass the "manual adjustment for class" test? Since we are going to keep the camera after the class I would personally prefer the smaller model that I assume is better than the prosumer Nikon Coolpix I already use, and my daughter would probably prefer the smaller size as well.

Thanks in advance!

There is a fellow member of my local state affiliate chapter of the PPA that gave up all his other DSLR equipment, and now ONLY shoots micro 4/3rds. He's so good at it that Panasonic made him a Lumix 'Luminary", kinda like a Canon 'Explorer of Light' or a Nikon 'Ambassador'.
http://bcphotography.com/
Whether a 4/3rds camera has easily accessible manual controls has nothing to do with the format, but on the specific model.

Now, as to what camera to buy. You're going to get quite a number of suggestions, but the biggest factor is "What does the school/program/instructor recommend?"
Until you know what will be needed in terms of sensor size, it's going to be a shot in the dark. And, it would be helpful if you got the same brand/lens mount as someone else you already know, so that there is a local assistance resource.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I would also look for sites like eBay, where people sell their used equipment - I am sure you can find some decent entry level DSLRs for under $300

Hi,

I use an Olympus e-510 with Zuiko 17.5-45mm and 40-140mm lenses. The body and 40-140mm lens cost me (used) £110 in the UK, so prices would be similar in the US I guess ($150-175?). Both lenses deliver excellent results throughout the zoom range and the body itself offer plenty 'controlability'. Check out this review if it helps: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/

Good luck!

(May 20, 2014, 13:49)plugsnpixels Wrote:  My daughter is taking a photo class this summer and needs an adjustable DSLR. Believe it or not, I've never owned one (it's all about post-processing and plug-ins for me)!

Thanks in advance!

The simple answer is; - the best camera that suits your needs within your budget.
Most people will steer you to whatever they use which may not be suitable to you.
Read some magazines, look at as many photography sites as you can. Then decide.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post