Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bird photography: our best shots

Dear friends

Having kicked off with a Bird Photography Resources thread, it seems like a good idea to add a further linked thread or two. This one invites you to share your bird shots and if it pleases you, we would love to know some background and details of the shots.

Come on guys, let's see your best birding shots ...and the rest - they don't have to be perfect or even close! Mine aren't for sure, but let me start you off with a common or garden English bird.....

Regards all and very much looking forward to seeing your bird photos....Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff, very nice shot. I will have to find some of mine to post for comments.

WesternGuy

Jeff, where do I find instructions on uploading to the forum and limits on sizes? Thanks.

WesternGuy

Taken about 2 years ago, about 50 yards from where I live, in a yard, now sold on. no longer available.They are raised in captivity, and were there 3/4 times. I had 2 visits. The background is a disaster, so Photoshop helped out. I have an invitation, to visit their "home" and get some more pics, not got around to it yet! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Missed this!! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Jun 23, 2014, 19:19)WesternGuy Wrote:  Jeff, where do I find instructions on uploading to the forum and limits on sizes? Thanks.

WesternGuy

Hi WesternGuy, I have asked Barbara our Moderator for a link, which it will be helpful to place on the thread to encourage lots of contributions. Meanwhile, if you hit 'reply' (not 'quick reply') scroll down below the message box, find New attachment/browse and add your photo. Then to the right of the browse button, hit add attachment, and wait for the snap to be listed. You can then either add another photo using the browse button or scroll down further and hit 'post reply'. Hope this is helpful!!! Jeff

(Jun 24, 2014, 02:26)EdMak Wrote:  Missed this!! Ed.

Ed - at 60mm you must have been practically shaking hands with this awesome creature (or is there a touch of cropping involved perhaps?)
Cheers Jeff

Almost as taken. This one was 200mm, and cropped. 1/250th @f8 400 ISO

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Jun 24, 2014, 03:32)Freeman Wrote:  
(Jun 23, 2014, 19:19)WesternGuy Wrote:  Jeff, where do I find instructions on uploading to the forum and limits on sizes? Thanks.

WesternGuy

Hi WesternGuy, I have asked Barbara our Moderator for a link, which it will be helpful to place on the thread to encourage lots of contributions. Meanwhile, if you hit 'reply' (not 'quick reply') scroll down below the message box, find New attachment/browse and add your photo. Then to the right of the browse button, hit add attachment, and wait for the snap to be listed. You can then either add another photo using the browse button or scroll down further and hit 'post reply'. Hope this is helpful!!! Jeff

I must confess to being a bit confused. Does this mean I have to "reply" to an existing post to post one of my images? I want to start a "new" post and put some of my images in it. Also, I would like to know what the limit is a for the image size when I am posting. Thanks for helping me sort this out.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy

Hi WesternGuy

Barbara has kindly provided links as follows:

The instructions are in the Photo Showcase. Here are the links for you:

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...-your-post

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...-To-A-Post

Regards

Jeff

[quote='Freeman' pid='95884' dateline='1403865723']
[quote='WesternGuy' pid='95816' dateline='1403572772']
Jeff, where do I find instructions on uploading to the forum and limits on sizes? Thanks.

WesternGuy

Sorry, the links I posted are incomplete: try these...

Let me know if this all makes sense and makes the difference!

Regards Jeff

(Jun 24, 2014, 04:55)EdMak Wrote:  Almost as taken. This one was 200mm, and cropped. 1/250th @f8 400 ISO

Hi Ed Do you have any wild bird snaps to share? Once you get into birds in the wild and birds in the air, whether large birds or especially if they are small, the factors change tremendously and I am keen to see how you and everyone else handles these challenges. Cheers Jeff

Not really, this is the closest I have. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Jun 27, 2014, 04:54)Freeman Wrote:  [quote='Freeman' pid='95884' dateline='1403865723']
[quote='WesternGuy' pid='95816' dateline='1403572772']

WesternGuy

Sorry, the links I posted are incomplete: try these...

Let me know if this all makes sense and makes the difference!

Regards Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I will post a couple this weekend.

WesternGuy

(Jun 27, 2014, 10:44)EdMak Wrote:  Not really, this is the closest I have. Cheers. Ed.

Beautiful!

Hopefully this one might raise a smile -

Duck Monopod:

I don't usually photograph birds, but sometimes I manage to capture images of ducks and other water fowl, only because they often move slowly or, like this one near the River Colne in Hertfordshire, not at all!

[ Pentax K-5 II with 55-300mm zoom lens at 150mm, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 3200. ]

Cheers.
Philip

I have to confess that I'm not a great 'Birder' either, but now and then I get the urge. Hence this one.

Tech Stuff.
Nikon D300, ISO800, F/9, 320sec, 300mm, M/mode-pattern, White Balance Auto. Post in PhotPlus X5.

I have a whole set of these two Great Cresed Grebes but I shan't bore you with them all. Taken last June with a Canon EOS 650D
Lens 100-400 at 400.0mm
1/500 sec f/6.3 ISO 640
This was on a fishing lake at Burnham-on-Sea UK

Attached Files Image(s)

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

Great feat Philip. Ed.

To each his own!

I don't usually photograph birds, but sometimes I manage to capture images of ducks and other water fowl, only because they often move slowly or, like this one near the River Colne in Hertfordshire, not at all!
Cheers.
Philip
[/quote]

Love it!

[quote='Phil J' pid='95899' dateline='1403899599']
I have to confess that I'm not a great 'Birder' either, but now and then I get the urge. Hence this one.

Tech Stuff.
Nikon D300, ISO800, F/9, 320sec, 300mm, M/mode-pattern, White Balance Auto. Post in PhotPlus X5.

I still find black (like white) is hard to get right but you have produced a smashing shot, Philip - and very English with the lawn in the background. Cheers!

(Jun 27, 2014, 14:29)johnytrout Wrote:  I have a whole set of these two Great Cresed Grebes but I shan't bore you with them all. Taken last June with a Canon EOS 650D
Lens 100-400 at 400.0mm
1/500 sec f/6.3 ISO 640
This was on a fishing lake at Burnham-on-Sea UK

Wow, that second shot has all the atmosphere in the world! Jeff

(Jun 27, 2014, 14:34)EdMak Wrote:  Great feat Philip. Ed.

Smile Thank you, Ed., and I understand - no-one really wants to see a bill.

And pleased you like it, Jeff.

Cheers.
Philip

Phil, that's a nicely composed shot.

Johny, I like the shot of the bird on the nest.

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you everyone who commented on my 'Blackbird' shot. There's probably a highly scientific name for them but to me they are 'Blackbirds'. There seems to be a colony of them nesting in and around our rear garden in the trees and bushes, which, I have to say makes the place seem to be more 'homely', although it's virtually a full time job keeping the local cats away. The state of the lawn is lamentable and it probably needs a ton of 'weed & feed' spread over it, however, the birds seem to have taken a liking to it, so if anyone can give some guidance as to how to stop them eating the stuff it would be appreciated. Smile

Regards,

Phil.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post