Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Birds...

oops sorry about posting a large one, :|

Wass suppose to be the same size as the others :x

Snownow, Your pictures are really nice, specially the one with the beak full of woms? That one is really sweet Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Not quite up to the calibre of pics already shown, but I'll participate anyways...
[Image: bird_filtered.jpg]
[Image: pelican_filtered.jpg]

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

My contribution - male sparrow shot this afternoon:

[Image: 46484790.jpg]

Schellamo, It was very nice that you had participated. Your pictures are very nice. The first one has a good reflection of the bird. I like it.... The second one has a beautiful background... the reflection is great... and the bird seems to enjoy the sunny weather Smile Is this place a river or a channel? Are these pictures taken near your home?

NN, your sparrow picture is lovely... Do you have bird feeders in your garden as well? You have nice weather!! We haven't got nice weather to go out to take pictures of birds Sad

Paul Cezanne

Thanks Irma!
The weather's quite good here at the moment although th elight varies from moment to moment as the clouds move across. We only have the one bird table at the moment as our garden is a total wilderness. I'm trying to tidy it up and may put more feeders about like Polly has done.

Here are a few more from this afternoon, though they're not as good as the sparrow. Even 300mm isn't enough, and despite going up to ISO800 the shutter wasn't really fast enough as the light was lower when these were taken. Also, all, including the sparrow, are quite small crops.

[Image: 46491340.jpg]

[Image: 46491343.jpg]

[Image: 46491345.jpg]

[Image: 46491352.jpg]

Great bird shots all. The dove is something I'd also like to get a photo of. There is one around our house. You can hear it in the early am when things are quite.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

noisynoodle Wrote:Thanks Irma!
The weather's quite good here at the moment although th elight varies from moment to moment as the clouds move across. We only have the one bird table at the moment as our garden is a total wilderness. I'm trying to tidy it up and may put more feeders about like Polly has done.

Here are a few more from this afternoon, though they're not as good as the sparrow. Even 300mm isn't enough, and despite going up to ISO800 the shutter wasn't really fast enough as the light was lower when these were taken. Also, all, including the sparrow, are quite small crops.
]

NN - we use the 'double hooked' poles with a couple of feeders + a mesh 'feed tray' attached about half way up the pole. They're useful because you can move them quite easily - they have long prongs that stick into the ground, like a garden fork. The birds are so familiar with them they'll feed happily when I'm sitting only a few feet away from them - so I can get very close in with the 300mm from maybe 4-5ft away.

We bought ours from Vinehouse Farm, which is also a good, informative website. We buy the some of the seed from and also from Soarmill seeds. We buy the seed in bulk and top up the feeders every morning. Much cheaper than getting the small bags that sell in the local shops!

Pol

Irma Wrote:Schellamo, It was very nice that you had participated. Your pictures are very nice. The first one has a good reflection of the bird. I like it.... The second one has a beautiful background... the reflection is great... and the bird seems to enjoy the sunny weather Smile Is this place a river or a channel? Are these pictures taken near your home?

NN, your sparrow picture is lovely... Do you have bird feeders in your garden as well? You have nice weather!! We haven't got nice weather to go out to take pictures of birds Sad

Thanks for the encouragement Irma. These were both taken at the botanical gardens which are part of the university. I'm really lucky, because we live within walking distance. The pelican shots was taken by a large pond in the gardens.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

noisynoodle love the dof, great capture

Polly Wrote:The birds are so familiar with them they'll feed happily when I'm sitting only a few feet away from them - so I can get very close in with the 300mm from maybe 4-5ft away.

We bought ours from Vinehouse Farm, which is also a good, informative website. We buy the some of the seed from and also from Soarmill seeds. We buy the seed in bulk and top up the feeders every morning. Much cheaper than getting the small bags that sell in the local shops!

Pol

Thanks for the links Polly.....good stuff! I don't think the birds in our garden will ever be quite as tame as yours are though as they're very much aware that when the door opens the terriers come charging out! Smile

noisynoodle Wrote:Thanks for the links Polly.....good stuff! I don't think the birds in our garden will ever be quite as tame as yours are though as they're very much aware that when the door opens the terriers come charging out! Smile

I'd forgotten about the dogs! :o

How could I? :o

I don't suppose Rufus will ever forgive me! Big Grin

Pol

Baby Swallows

[Image: 05_07_24_img_2286-01.jpg]

Original Size

Aren't they cute? Our neighbor found them on the driveway gravel. He put them on a twig, so the parents could feed them. Then we built them a nest to have a bit of shelter... I wonder if this was a mistake, because they weren't fed anymore. Later yet, after watching them for quite a while, we decided to take them in, because they still weren't fed and the weather forecast is grim (and so is the cat population around here). The plan is to keep them for a day or two, until they are strong enough to spread their wings and fly. Does anybody know how to raise swallows?

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Bird Saving

On the way to the nest...

[Image: 05_07_24_img_2294-01.jpg]

Family Swift

[Image: 05_07_24_img_2265-01.jpg]

First come first serve

[Image: 05_07_24_img_2266-01.jpg]

These are lovely photos Guerito, especially the baby swallows.

I don't think there's much chance of rearing them though as swallows really only eat flying insects so you won't find it easy to feed them. Also, they're not going to have a parent to show them how to catch their on food when they can fly.

The best advice with birds that have fallen from the nest is to leave them be as the parents usually know where they are and will continue feeding them . Maybe if you put them back where they were when the parents last fed them they'll start feeding them again. Otherwise I dont think they stand much chance. It may be possible to get some kind of wild bird food for them with insects asa mjor componet, but if they've not fed for couple of days their chances are not good.

It sounds harsh, but birds usually produce several clutches of young in a season and only one or two make it to adulthood and then breed themselves. I hope you succeed in hand-rearing them or, better yet, getting their parents to take them back.

--NN

After taking them in, we read about this ... and everytime I was reading an article saying "leave them alone", "leave them alone".... I was feeling more and more small... I felt really sad to have them in....

We thought about what we did and well after all there weren't many opportunities for us to choose from... There were not nests nearby... we placed them in a safe place but the kids were not fed... we couldn't leave them out with all the cats we have arround..... and well we had done it already so we had to think about something..... In the morning we would place them in a branch where the big swallows fly so they might be seen and be fed.... The weather was horrible today in the morning and with a bit of rain, however we put them out... Sad

They were there for two hours or so and just one time a big swallow approached them to give food to one of them... The wind and the rain were getting stronger... so I thought I had to build a new nest, to nail it near that branch... and I did it...

[Image: DSC_0004-01newnest.jpg]

They are totally happy here... they are dry and now that there is a bit of sun, they are warm... they look happy but hungry... I hope the adults seeing that the have a luxury penthouse will feed them... on the other hand adults just have enought with what they have to do with their babies and probably their parents thought they lost their kids...

G will bring some food for them... because yesterday he slapped a fly, picked up with little pincers and lost it two times in the way from the studio to the place the birds were Rolleyes we thought it was better to buy something Smile

This story will continue.... stay tuned Wink

Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:After taking them in, we read about this ... and everytime I was reading an article saying "leave them alone", "leave them alone".... I was feeling more and more small... I felt really sad to have them in....

We thought about what we did and well after all there weren't many opportunities for us to choose from... There were not nests nearby... we placed them in a safe place but the kids were not fed... we couldn't leave them out with all the cats we have arround..... and well we had done it already so we had to think about something...

)

It's always best to leave them and let nature take its course - though it's a hard decision.

We had a lame young Blackbird this year. The parents eventually abandoned it, though it could manage to hop about and get a bit of food for itself - but not enough to thrive properly so it was getting weaker as time passed

We bought mealworms for it and left it in a place by a shrub where it liked to rest and sunbathe - also left it pieces of pear and water. We didn't expect it to survive, felt sad as we saw it wasn't thriving peoperly and one day it didn't appear in the morning. However, at least we feel we did what we could to give it a little help.

As for your swallows - here's a webpage that might help. Apparently chopped maggots can be helpful ...... but one but hope the parents will find the young birds and take over again.

Polly

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post