Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BlueSLR Dongle makes your iPhone a Remote Trigger

This is pretty cool - the BlueSLR dongle and accompanying iPhone app can turn your iPhone/iPod Touch into a remote shutter release - wirelessly from up to 300 feet away. Unlike IR remotes, it doesn't require line of sight (uses Bluetooth technology) and you can do cool stuff like program the number of shots, exposure length and intervals.

Currently for Nikon DSLRs only, they plan to release dongles for Canon and other manufacturers soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/09/blues...ote-shutt/

[Image: 10x1209ioub24efgvg.jpg]

This thing is a bit of ridiculous overkill as a high-tech substitute for the camera's self timer - but it might be pretty cool for other specialized applications.

What if you mounted the camera on a robot that could go places that you can't - like into a tiny cave or into a swarm or zombies - and then used the remote to look around and take photos. Ideally, the damn thing would then return to you...

shuttertalk Wrote:This is pretty cool - the BlueSLR dongle and accompanying iPhone app can turn your iPhone/iPod Touch into a remote shutter release - wirelessly from up to 300 feet away.
I wouldn't want it 300 feet away, unless a minder was close by. You know 'Watch out there's a thief about'.

If the chinese girl violinist can lose a stradivarius from 10 feet away, what chance have i 300 feet away.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Sounds like an entertaining use for the technology, but wow - $150 for the dongle! That's about the price as Nikon's ML3, which is about as expensive as remote releases get. Canon's wired timer remote is cheaper than that, and so it Nikon's. (Although why anyone would want the Nikon MC-36 remote is beyond me, since any camera that will work with it already has an intervalometer built in. But I digress…)

Regardless, the word "dongle", like 'hoisting' and 'tuber', is just a flat-out fun word to say. That alone makes me like this product.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:Sounds like an entertaining use for the technology, but wow - $150 for the dongle! That's about the price as Nikon's ML3, which is about as expensive as remote releases get. Canon's wired timer remote is cheaper than that, and so it Nikon's. (Although why anyone would want the Nikon MC-36 remote is beyond me, since any camera that will work with it already has an intervalometer built in. But I digress…)

Regardless, the word "dongle", like 'hoisting' and 'tuber', is just a flat-out fun word to say. That alone makes me like this product.
You laugh but you don't need to risk your life predicting the movements of zombies...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post